Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #871
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
I'm feeling pretty good about my radiator hoses now. Living proof it's better to be lucky than smart

So are you thinking about trying to use that particular airbox?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #872
BeardThrone
...in bat country.

Oddometer: 120
I think I just had a Nerd-gasm. Graphs and charts *swoon*
BeardThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #873
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
So are you thinking about trying to use that particular airbox?
No, I'm going to make something similar though out of aluminum.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #874
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
The throttle is a venhill 500A which is a clone of a NLA magura throttle that was used on a lot of '90s KTM dirt bikes among others. It looks like venhill has now upgraded it a bit and now calls it the venhill 600A. The clutch lever is a Magura lever that came from HPN, but you should be able to order it from any magura seller. Sorry, but I don't have the part number. It mates up with a stock BMW clutch cable.

EDIT: the clutch lever MIGHT be this one. not totally sure. http://www.venhill.co.uk/Controls_an...74_1LS-TP.html

I scoured the internet trying to find that mystery perch. I bought a perch from an '80s KTM that looked exactly like yours but the threads were the standard 8mm. The stock BMW adjuster is 10mm x 1.0. The perch you linked me to also uses the 8mm adjuster.

I drilled and retapped it and it's working fine. It has as much metal left around the threads as the stock perch and I'm not worried about it breaking from use. I'm willing to bet that's what HPN did.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 02:27 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #875
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
OK I'm seeing this now ... and in the previous pic, you can really see the nipples bending at the hub ... scary. Please let me know what Klaus says ...
Alright, I talked to Klaus this morning and he had the following to say. Originally HPN used conventional nipples in the rim along with their own nipples in the hub threaded to fit 4.5mm spokes with threads on both ends of them. They would bend the spokes at the hub so that they'd point perfectly at the corresponding hole in the rim rather than just allowing the whole spoke to bow and then be tensioned. Now they use a similar insert in the hub, but without threads which accepts a normal spoke head of a 4.5mm spoke. They still put a bend on the spoke right where it exits the hub so that it points in the right direction. He said they have an outside shop do their wheel work for them and he was going to check into getting me some of the inserts they use to make a 4.5mm spoke fit in the 7mm hole in the GS hub.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #876
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Perhaps I'm confused here, but I've seen a lot of Excel rims laced to stock BMW hubs on here, and I know they weren't ALL done by HPN. Woody's expressed zero concern about doing so as well. Are you talking about a very specific rim and hub combination here, or are you saying that it never gets done correctly unless you have the right nipples, bent spokes correctly, etc? I was considering doing a supersize superlace with an 18" excel and didn't think it was a big deal, but not if they don't know what they're doing.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #877
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
Perhaps I'm confused here, but I've seen a lot of Excel rims laced to stock BMW hubs on here, and I know they weren't ALL done by HPN. Woody's expressed zero concern about doing so as well. Are you talking about a very specific rim and hub combination here, or are you saying that it never gets done correctly unless you have the right nipples, bent spokes correctly, etc? I was considering doing a supersize superlace with an 18" excel and didn't think it was a big deal, but not if they don't know what they're doing.
I'm talking about R100GS rear hubs being laced conventionally to an excel rim. The way I've seen Woody's do it has been less than impressive. StephenB's wheel used a flat non-dimpled excel rim (first mistake) with HUGE flared spokes that fit in the 7mm holes in the hub where the BMW cross-spoke nipples originally fit. No doubt those spokes resulted in a lot of extra weight. The spokes were so thick where they exited the rim that they probably couldn't be bent to point correctly at the spoke holes in the rim. This resulted in the spokes bending across their length and were visibly bent where they entered the nipples at the rim. The rim cracked after not very many miles. Before talking to HPN I was convinced that some sort of adaptor to fit normal sized spokes into cross-spoke hubs would be the best way to go and then bending them where they exit the hub. After hearing it from them, I'm doubly convinced that it's the "right" way to do it.

Here's Woody's attempt at making this work. Take a close look at all the weird bending going on here:

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 09:44 AM
Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #878
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
GS hubs can be had for $150-200...
Couldn't find just a hub, but found a wheel only 1/3 a third of the way through the wearable portion of the brake lining for $164.25. Danke, Deutschland.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 01:40 PM
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #879
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
Has the hub been milled? That is a freakin' STEAL if so ... Looks like a 17" rim?

Quote:
Couldn't find just a hub, but found a wheel only 1/3 a third of the way through the wearable portion of the brake lining for $164.25. Danke, Deutschland.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #880
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Has the hub been milled? That is a freakin' STEAL if so ... Looks like a 17" rim?
Yep, 17" rim. Nope, not milled yet. Just a rear wheel straight off a R100GS. I'll take the rim off and sell it if anyone wants it, but I'll save the nipples in the hub to drill out and make adaptors for the spoke heads if HPN can't supply something. Pretty good deal, but I still need to get it over here to this side of the atlantic which will cost another $50-60, but that's probably what it would cost to ship a whole wheel across the US with UPS these days anyway. The only wheel for sale in the US (that I could find) is at Bob's BMW for $560, so this comes in well under.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #881
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Welcome to my daily adventure! Heh

That is a screaming deal on the wheel. I paid $300 for mine plus shipping. I will be lacing an 18" cross spoked rim to it ... and I'll probably have Woody's do it (I don't think that this should be the first time I try and lace a wheel ).

This rear wheel will wind up costing me about $1,000 ... but the lining is about 90%, and I have two extended shafts coming, and I have three FD's ... a 33/11, 32/10, and a 37/11. But either way, this is going to be grand! Can't wait to see your progress.

PS - Anyone else want a 17" rim? Heh ... actually, I'll prolly keep it as my GS has that rim on the rear.

Quote:
Yep, 17" rim. Nope, not milled yet. Just a rear wheel straight off a R100GS. I'll take the rim off and sell it if anyone wants it, but I'll save the nipples in the hub to drill out and make adaptors for the spoke heads if HPN can't supply something. Pretty good deal, but I still need to get it over here to this side of the atlantic which will cost another $50-60, but that's probably what it would cost to ship a whole wheel across the US with UPS these days anyway. The only wheel for sale in the US (that I could find) is at Bob's BMW for $560, so this comes in well under.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #882
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
I have two extended shafts coming, and I have three FD's ... a 33/11, 32/10, and a 37/11.
Just curious, what models did the 32:10 mono final drive come on?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #883
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Just curious, what models did the 32:10 mono final drive come on?
The R100RT and the R80R (I think).
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #884
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
why are dimpled rims better that just the drilled ones?? I would thing the dimples would weaken the rim, due to stretching the material for the dimple.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #885
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
why are dimpled rims better that just the drilled ones?? I would thing the dimples would weaken the rim, due to stretching the material for the dimple.
The dimples spread the load over a larger area of the rim. Most importantly for our particular application is that dimpled rims allow greater spoke angles without comprimising rim thickness. Older bikes with larger diameter drum brake hubs require greater spoke angles. Drilling that angle into a smooth rim results in a thinner spot on the inside of the angle. A dimple can be drilled at any point on its surface you like to achieve the desired angle with equal thickness all the way around the nipple. Non-dimpled rims can be useful where non conventional numbers of spokes are being used (obscure weirdo bikes) or where you want to drill an offset into the rim rather than dishing it with the lacing. Otherwise dimpled is the way to go.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:44 PM