Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #106
Readymeal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
i got the D+D reference

just for the record, I do get laid, (occasionally) and I dont live in my parents basement, but occasionally I get laid in my parents basement. Once I even got laid in the basement playing D+D, but I'm sure this is too much info. And here we were discussing gas laws a moment ago, and also for hte record I think you (Dat) should definitely try the fork oil route first.

Also for the record, I have never seen an aircooled bike much over 10:1, and all the 12:1's I know are heavily auxcooled, so I would think the more compression would equal more heat, despite the inefficient burn of low comp.

Looking back, i realize this adds very little, but I like this thread.
I did not get the D&D even though i played it. However i thought he was talking about the card game called Magic the Gathering which i never played...

Alright i never lived in my parent's basement since they never had one, I got laid plenty times playing role playing games...well in the game :) I have to confess i get laid sometimes too(not depending on me though :) ... but so far the only one giving me pleasure whenever i want has two wheels and is parked in the garage

i don t know much about the high compression thingy and heat...sorry
Readymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #107
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Tight squish/Fast burn

The cooler running higher compression engines may be related to tighter squish clearances between the piston and head surfaces. This leads to more efficient combustion and lower cylinder temps.

I don't know any specifics with regard to the Airhead engines, but it makes sense and it would be worth looking into. Someone with more knowledge than me may be able to chime in with better than my rudimentary explanation .
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #108
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
Man, when my build thread got hijacked it was with a 7 page discussion on circlip failures. You get a buncha geeks trying to pretend like they never played Dungeons & Dragons. I'd be pissed.

Thanks for the info on getting driving lights instead of fog lights. I probably would have gotten the wrong ones.

I went with some Hella lights rather than the PIAAs since they're ovals instead of round like yours. My Exxon tanker takes up a good bit of crash bar real estate and I'm hoping to mount them in front of it. I'll probably be wiring mine up the same way-through the high beam switch since, like you, my HID doesn't have highbeams. Do you have any more good ideas I can steal from ya?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #109
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
Man, when my build thread got hijacked it was with a 7 page discussion on circlip failures. You get a buncha geeks trying to pretend like they never played Dungeons & Dragons. I'd be pissed.
I think Blake might have some competition on quotable quotes.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #110
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
You get a buncha geeks trying to pretend like they never played Dungeons & Dragons. I'd be pissed.
Nothing wrong with some comic relief.

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah...bikes.

Next project got started today. Stainless steel infill panel to go on top of the headlight mount to hold the trailtech, idiot lights, and ignition switch. I figured it was about time to actually fab something from scratch instead of hacking up, filing off, bolting on, and bending other people's work. Progress has been made, but pictures were not taken. More coming later.

Next mention of D&D gets a swift kick to the undescended nuts.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 10:42 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #111
Gorp
Malakas

Oddometer: 9
Going for it

Airhead, been following your progess for a while, as I have an ST also. It is an '83 w/ 13k on her and a sweetie. However, as I've sold all my other bikes and been disappointed in a search for a G/S, (and the fact that no matter how clean you think your bike is, someone has a nicer one), She will now become a G/S also. One question I may have missed is where did you get the bashplate? (sump protector).
Gorp
Gorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #112
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorp
Airhead, been following your progess for a while, as I have an ST also. It is an '83 w/ 13k on her and a sweetie. However, as I've sold all my other bikes and been disappointed in a search for a G/S, (and the fact that no matter how clean you think your bike is, someone has a nicer one), She will now become a G/S also. One question I may have missed is where did you get the bashplate? (sump protector).
Gorp
It came from an ADV inmate, ernie. You can check out all his wares at twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com then click on dakota motorsports.

Keep in mind you'll have to change out the sump for a GS sump as the ST didn't have the threads to mount a bash plate. Good luck on your project. Don't forget to save all your ST pieces. There weren't many of these to begin with and not nearly as many now, so it'd be a shame to take a complete one and scatter it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #113
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
St/gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorp
Airhead, been following your progess for a while, as I have an ST also. It is an '83 w/ 13k on her and a sweetie.
Gorp
Have you visited the R80ST registry? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...R80ST+registry

R100GS sump and bashplate can be had new as well, call Bob's of NH and talk with Rusty to get price/availability.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #114
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
Have you visited the R80ST registry? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...R80ST+registry
Yup. Been there. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=6

I got around to finishing my dashboard yesterday as well as making a fatfoot for my sidestand with some of the leftover stainless. The dash convinced me of my need for a drill press. I designed the dash on a computer, printed out a scale print of it, taped it to a stainless plate and punched all my centers. I used a small bit to drill pilot holes with a hand drill, but due to the toughness of the stainless that I used the bit wandered a fair amount without me noticing and consequently the holes for the idiot lights aren't spaced evenly...at all. Oh well. It's functional and that's good enough for me. The GPS got mounted, but not wired yet. The steering head bearing got adjusted as the races weren't fully seated when initially installed. Riding seems to have pushed them in a little further. I also picked up some handlebar risers at touratech on the way home yesterday and now my handguard mounts don't smack my tank before full lock.

No pics yet - maybe tonight... if I don't blast up to the mountains for a night time shakedown run on some dirt

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 08:08 AM
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #115
BubbaZanetti
for a corrector life

Oddometer: 13,156
what a cool thread.

i'm about to come into a R80ST, but i'm gunning to do more of a "cafe all rounder" type bike that is good for looking "hip" in nyc, touring and maybe a little off road. this thread has certainly given me some ideas.
BubbaZanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #116
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
what a cool thread.

i'm about to come into a R80ST, but i'm gunning to do more of a "cafe all rounder" type bike that is good for looking "hip" in nyc, touring and maybe a little off road. this thread has certainly given me some ideas.

I'm supposed to make a joke here about you needing more than a bike to look hip but really, they used to say if it will play in Poughkeepsie, it will play in New York so when you get it- tour yourself up here!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #117
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
not you, the other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Airhead Wrangler: like your threads man, and I was trying to get that Gorp fellow to visit the registry.

Your ST mods are highly inspirational... I hope to spend some quality time in the garage with my '83 this afternoon.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #118
BubbaZanetti
for a corrector life

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I'm supposed to make a joke here about you needing more than a bike to look hip but really, they used to say if it will play in Poughkeepsie, it will play in New York so when you get it- tour yourself up here!

i gonna be heading up that way this weekend on my S, but to hopefully sell it, and will be riding a train home!

cafe thing's big in bklyn though, i used to have a 84 R100 with a mild cafe job, i really miss it.
BubbaZanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #119
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Update

Well, just a couple things to cover:

1) My super ghetto stainless dashboard complete with somewhat cockeyed idiot lights

2) Super carcinogenic, toxic, corrosive carb cleaner and the wonders it works. Now, I was well familiar with the capabilities of aerosol carb cleaner like Clean-r-carb and others. This stuff is several orders of magnitude nastier and more effective. When I first got the bike it had sat for 20 or so years with the petcocks on. The float bowls were basically a solid block of waxy, crusty gasoline varnish. I went through at least 3-4 cans of spray carb cleaner getting them "pretty clean," but there was still plenty of persistent crud that wouldn't come off the inside of the bowl or the area above the float without scraping. That really left me wondering what was still lurking in all those tiny passageways. The bike ran and ran pretty well. Well enough that I didn't hesitate to rack up 13,000 miles on it last year. Anyway, there's a rough spot in the rev range and a a tiny bit stumbly idle which just couldn't get tuned out, so I decided to go back in and do the last 20% of the carb cleaning. This time they got the crazy death dip, new floats, new o-rings all around. The first time around about a year ago to the week I replaced the diaphragms, main jets, idle jets, needles and needle jets, so by now they're completely rebuilt. Here are some pics

Before:

After:
(note that berryman's dip WILL take the white paint off your bing name plates)

Squeaky clean and new looking. Thanks Solo for loaning me the Berryman's. Now I have my own personal EPA superfund site.

Here's what you can use those cracked valve covers for:

Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #120
jedcaum
Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Well, just a couple things to cover:

Here's what you can use those cracked valve covers for:

Yikes, dude - you gotta destroy the evidence, not take pictures of it! And use your test light for roach clips, silly - lotta waste there in your recycling .
jedcaum is offline   Reply With Quote