Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #121
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum
Yikes, dude - you gotta destroy the evidence, not take pictures of it! And use your test light for roach clips, silly - lotta waste there in your recycling .
Those are roll-yer-owns for those "wait, you're working too fast, step back, stare at bike, have a smoke, think it through" moments.

Otherwise I wouldn't be A) taking photos of them and B) wasting them like that.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-03-2009 at 07:31 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #122
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

One more observation:

I already knew this to be the case, but definitely didn't realize the extent. The stock BMW speedo is optimistic. We all know that. What I didn't realize though is just HOW optimistic. Since hooking up the trailtech and having a working tach and speedo, I'm now turning 4180 RPM at 60mph whereas that engine speed had me over 70 mph previously. GPS agreed with my speedo REALLY well too. The stock wheel size setting on the trailtech had me within 1 mph of the GPS at 70mph. No wonder it always took me so long to go everywhere before. I was actually going 60 when I thought I was going 70.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #123
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
RE: speedo error etc

I had always assumed...(!).... that a cable-driven speedo and tach would be accurate. BUT, I have learned through GPS that there can be substantial errors with cable-driven speedos, but still always assumed (!) that the tach was correct. Now I finding that I am shocked by how far off my /6 cable-driven tach is off when compared to a strobe tach....

The adjustments/calibration are all through the little magnetic drive, which makes it pretty tough for those of us who are ham-handed to fix.... does not respond well to the bigger-hammer-and-where's-the-blue-torch school of repairwork.... he he he....

Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #124
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,731
Just saw this thread. What an amazing conversion this has been.
Absolutely clean even to those who have an eye for detail.

Chanderjeet screwed with this post 04-03-2009 at 12:18 PM
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #125
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
have ya'll been following the 'bogging down' thread with that guy in Mexico? He said at 5,000 rpms he's going 80mph. That seemed really off to me, think it has something to do with the cable error?

FWIW, my stock r80G/S turns 4800 rpms at 70 with a higher 5th. The HPN gear only made about 250 rpms worth of difference as per the Trail Tech.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #126
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
have ya'll been following the 'bogging down' thread with that guy in Mexico? He said at 5,000 rpms he's going 80mph. That seemed really off to me, think it has something to do with the cable error?
Well, that's what my stock gauges said - 80mph at 5k rpm. I had an electronic tach that came standard on the ST and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that they're pretty accurate. The speedometer really exagerated my speed yet at the same time the odometer which is run off the same cable as the speedo was actually quite accurate, so the exagerated speed almost seems intentional on BMW's part.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #127
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
What an amazing conversation this has been.
Absolutely clean even to those who have an eye for detail.
Thanks, but the converSATION hasn't been very clean at all. The conversion looks cleaner in photos than real life (like anything). There is still plenty of wiring to clean up and little nitpicky stuff to fix, but at least it's rideable now. (as soon as I pull my second carb out of the death bath and put it back together)

By the way Chanderjeet, I'm a huge fan of your ride reports. Great photos and really cool looking trips. You've convinced me that I need to ride through India at some point. Keep those photos coming!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #128
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Thanks, but the converSATION hasn't been very clean at all. The conversion looks cleaner in photos than real life (like anything). There is still plenty of wiring to clean up and little nitpicky stuff to fix, but at least it's rideable now. (as soon as I pull my second carb out of the death bath and put it back together)

By the way Chanderjeet, I'm a huge fan of your ride reports. Great photos and really cool looking trips. You've convinced me that I need to ride through India at some point. Keep those photos coming!
Haha, my bad... conversion ...
After watching your thread, i wanna make me a dual sport as well. It may not be a BMW but a royal enfield.
And im no craftsman like you sire but i will try my best.

Chanderjeet screwed with this post 04-03-2009 at 12:24 PM
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #129
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Well, that's what my stock gauges said - 80mph at 5k rpm. I had an electronic tach that came standard on the ST and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that they're pretty accurate. The speedometer really exagerated my speed yet at the same time the odometer which is run off the same cable as the speedo was actually quite accurate, so the exagerated speed almost seems intentional on BMW's part.
Yes, that is correct: the odometer is geared through the cable, and unless you have a different circumference wheel mounted, is very accurate. That is the reason for the W=xx on the speedo face: to match it to the proper rear drive. The needle, however, can be mounted on the little magnetic drive in such a way as to be off... legend has it that BMW tried for maybe 5% optimism, for safety reasons as well as warm-and-fuzzies that the bike was so comfortable at those speeds...

Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #130
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Even more modern speedos are much the same. For example, my F650 speedo (cable driven off the front wheel) reads 10% high from 40 - 80ish. The odometer checked against my SS1000 mileage was within 1.3%

Based on the few Interstate jaunts on my ST where I had a good idea of the traffic speed around me, its speedo is very likely the same 10% optimistic.

(Now if I can just out to the garage and finish that transmission project on the ST - been down with a virus all week )

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #131
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Speedos are usually optimistic. Odo's however, are usually pretty close to accurate, even though they share a PTO. I was led to believe this was for legal reasons.
Cant have a speedo read under your actual speed, that would lead to developing relationships with policeman friends.
And inaccurate Odo's lead to issues of mileage at resale, salvage, etc...

My speedo is about 10% off... way more noticeable the faster you go, as evidenced by GPS. Mileage is much closer. My girlfriends bike and mine are only off each other by 1 or 2%, 3 max. I noticed the same sort of thing when riding with a bunch of other guys when we all have roll charts. Everybody is off by a couple of tenths at the resets.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #132
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
BMW Speedo Bulliten

This might be of interest. I've tried to add an attachment but didn't see it in the preview post. Oh, well I'll try it anyway.
Attached Images

bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #133
thjakits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Cool2

....here we go!!

Question 1: to those with non Bavarian vehicles sharing garage space:

Are your Guzzis, Hondas, Suzis, etc. also showing the "max. 10% permissible Tolerance"' ?

Question 2: Does anyone know how to fix this error on the cable driven speedo - is there any adjustments that can be done?

Cheers,

thjakits
'79 R100S
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #134
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
I had a GPS on my Kawasaki vn750 and my KLR, both displayed a faster speed than the GPS.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #135
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjakits
....snip

Question 2: Does anyone know how to fix this error on the cable driven speedo - is there any adjustments that can be done?

Cheers,

thjakits
'79 R100S
I have tried, been frustrated, but it CAN be done: remove the back of the units to get to the point where you can get at the magnetic disc. Very carefully make a precise index mark when the speedo is at zero, and then remove the needle. Move the disc away from the index slightly, remount the needle. Re-assemble, test ride. Then (probably!) do it again, and again, and again, until you have the desired speed range.

Probably best to let a real speedo shop do it, was my conclusion....

Here is an excellent primmer in getting into the speedo guts: he discusses fixing the odometer, but the process of "getting in there" is the same...

Odometer repair thread