ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #15976
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
She runs

Well the Wee actually runs!

Changed fork oil, replaced heated grip controller and the heated grips themselves (now they actually work), removed and greased swing arm, replaced the cruise servo (the cruise works again, not bad for being on two bikes over 11 years and 70K miles, got my $100 out of it), valve adjust (they were all in spec after 30K miles), replaced air filter and spark plugs (they were both toast, 30K interval is too much!), replaced the coolant and replaced the steering bearings (completely shot, huge notch).

Bikes got 55K, did a valve adjust and spark plug replacement at 25K. The plugs were so bad this time I couldn't believe the bike actually ran (they were the same at 25K). All valves were in spec and hadn't moved much in 30K.

This bike is rode hard and put away wet, lots of dirt roads, twisty mountain roads, and loaded up for camping trips. I always change the oil but have never babied this thing.

Bought her new in June of '07 and she runs as hard as the day I brought her home.

roger123 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 05:24 PM
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #15977
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I got news and bad news, good news it's that's the first bulk pack of .22's I've seen since the SHTF, bad news is that you need to cash in your 401K to buy them........

I know, I bought bulk 9mm at Dicks a few weeks ago for pre-shtf prices. Hopefully this is a sign things are coming back. The guy at Dick's said they have been getting in bulk .22, you just have to be there at 9am on a Friday to get it. Last week they had .40 and .45 on the shelf late in the day.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #15978
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
I know, I bought bulk 9mm at Dicks a few weeks ago for pre-shtf prices. Hopefully this is a sign things are coming back. The guy at Dick's said they have been getting in bulk .22, you just have to be there at 9am on a Friday to get it. Last week they had .40 and .45 on the shelf late in the day.
Boychiks, save your gas and go here: gunbot
Cruise the site often. I have gotten some great deals on 40, 45's.
Also if you get on DeGoff's email/FB list you will get a heads up on what just came in. They have a 2 boxes/person/day limit but hey, I got 4 boxes of 9mm for $18/50 rounds 2 wks ago.

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80

JHVA screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 05:59 PM
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #15979
Stumper92
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
I'm thinking about heading west Sunday, riding FS roads and such west of Harrisonburg then heading back home. Anybody interested in joining?
Is there a group in the area that gets together regularly and rides out toward central Va?
Stumper92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #15980
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumper92 View Post
Is there a group in the area that gets together regularly and rides out toward central Va?
I try to get out there as often as the war department allows.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #15981
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Oblivious to electronics

Any of you GPS gents able to tell me how to make use of this handy cable that came with the GPS I got out of the Flea Market? Seems more convenient to be able to hardwire it vs relying on a 12v outlet, but then I wonder if there's a constant pull on the battery even when the GPS is off. Pros and cons I guess...
Falcon86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #15982
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post

Any of you GPS gents able to tell me how to make use of this handy cable that came with the GPS I got out of the Flea Market? Seems more convenient to be able to hardwire it vs relying on a 12v outlet, but then I wonder if there's a constant pull on the battery even when the GPS is off. Pros and cons I guess...

Put in a relay or power it directly off something that only has power with the key on.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #15983
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Put in a relay or power it directly off something that only has power with the key on.
+1 I have my relay hooked up to my license plate light.
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #15984
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
a GPS, by itself, doesn't need a relay and can be tied directly to a key/on circuit.

if you're going to add other accessories besides the GPS, then you could add a relay and fused accessory panel, with the relay tied to a key/on circuit.

personally, i have the GPS on a dedicated circuit, no switch or relay, so it stays on and doesn't need to reacquire sats and so on. if you're powered off an existing circuit, either directly or by relay, and lose that circuit, then you lose the GPS. could be very inconvenient to lose the GPS.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #15985
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
I have my GPS wired hot all the time right off the batt. There is no draw with the GPS out of the cradle there will be a small draw to charge the battery when the GPS is in the cradle.

They draw very little juice though and you could tap in pretty much wherever you want, the in-line fuse should be 2A as the draw is very low.

If you just tap into a wire that is hot with the key on you will not need a relay.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #15986
Falcon86
I just work here.

Thanks alot for all the responses!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #15987
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Do you have a DRz? If so there may be a couple of +12v accessory connections if it is like the DR650. The only thing is these are usually off when the key is off.

Like the previous I run my GPS so it is on all the time. I take if off when I am off the bike. It does not draw that much but will eventually run the battery down after a number of days if left connected.

Before I installed the Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit Solution I soldered the GPS wires to the battery terminals for a clean connection easily removed. Just don't skip the fuse.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #15988
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Do you have a DRz? If so there may be a couple of +12v accessory connections if it is like the DR650. The only thing is these are usually off when the key is off.

Like the previous I run my GPS so it is on all the time. I take if off when I am off the bike. It does not draw that much but will eventually run the battery down after a number of days if left connected.

Before I installed the Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit Solution I soldered the GPS wires to the battery terminals for a clean connection easily removed. Just don't skip the fuse.
Yep its a DRZ. A couple people now have mentioned the DR has a couple 12v connections behind the headlight, I'm hoping the DRZ may, I'll do some digging this weekend.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #15989
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
You boys are gonna get muddy as hell at TG tomorrow, just rained like a mofo here all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Yep its a DRZ. A couple people now have mentioned the DR has a couple 12v connections behind the headlight, I'm hoping the DRZ may, I'll do some digging this weekend.

Yeah, there's a 12v plug behind the headlight. Before you start running lots of electronics off your DRZ you might want to read about the DRZ Free Power Mod which will give you an extra .5v. There is some voltage drop with the way the stator power is run into the harness stock. To correct it you basically just run the charging leads from the R/R directly to the battery with some ring terminals.

Also, if you want to use a GPS that uses 5v or whatever, you'll have to wire in an adapter for it. I had to, and put a toggle switch and 10amp fuse on it. But I just went straight from the battery, not the plug up front.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #15990
Falcon86
I just work here.

Great info, thanks man! ^

I have bowed out of the TG trip due to the weather and all the TG rumors in the Richmond thread. Sounds like it'll be a madhouse there anyway, or even getting busted up by LEO's, so no thanks lol.

Edit: Let me also go on the record as stating that I see now why some people swear by the newer GPS's that can go 20 hours+ on a few AA batteries...

Falcon86 screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 07:20 AM