ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #16246
Tidewater KLR
High Speed Hiker

Oddometer: 746
CLW, I think your route is pretty good, however 58 will be highway for a few miles to get past the executive airport and into greater Suffolk. Or take 664 briefly to get to 17/Bridge road. Just depends on how familiar you are with the area - there are city streets to avoid freeway entirely through that area if you really don't want to get up to 60+ mph.

Might want to consider taking the MMBT across the James. Your route has you crossing the JRR Steel Mesh Deck. It's not the most comforatble feeling and the possibility of rain with new tires complicates things a bit. The MM would be my preferred route, despite being on the Freeway a bit longer. Remember, the divided highway system is way safer than a two lane road because all traffic is headed in the same direction and there are multiple lanes of travel. You can drive your own pace, accelerate/then engine brake some without isssue on the slab.

Best Wishes and Enjoy.

TKLR
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
"A motorcycle in the garage is safe, but that is not what it is made for"
Photo library at http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Tumbleweed7/
Tidewater KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #16247
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
A good dealership would deliver your brand new bike, and have someone go over the bike with you at your home. I'm just saying.

To me, this sounds like a bad idea that's getting worse. New rider. New bike. New tires. Bad weather. Weekday traffic.

I know you're eager to get the bike, and I know you want to show it off. But seriously consider waiting for the weather to clear. That's a lot of bike for someone who's never been outside of a parking lot to be throwing down the highway in the rain.

PLEASE rethink your decision.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #16248
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
A good dealership would deliver your brand new bike, and have someone go over the bike with you at your home. I'm just saying.

To me, this sounds like a bad idea that's getting worse. New rider. New bike. New tires. Bad weather. Weekday traffic.

I know you're eager to get the bike, and I know you want to show it off. But seriously consider waiting for the weather to clear. That's a lot of bike for someone who's never been outside of a parking lot to be throwing down the highway in the rain.

PLEASE rethink your decision.
Well, I am going to feel it out. I think delivering the bike is a ridiculous concept though. As ridiculous as I think people who tow a car to a racetrack are. Also, it will be mid-day, so light traffic. New tires and weather are the concern, but worst case scenario I feel it out, say no, and go back on Friday.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #16249
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Well, I am going to feel it out. I think delivering the bike is a ridiculous concept though. As ridiculous as I think people who tow a car to a racetrack are. Also, it will be mid-day, so light traffic. New tires and weather are the concern, but worst case scenario I feel it out, say no, and go back on Friday.
Why is delivering the bike a rediculous concept? I realize that some people are so "hardcore" that they don't want to give the impression that their bike is a trailer queen. Or perhaps it's a pride thing, where people don't want their bike compared to other weekend warriors. Or maybe it has something to do with the penis. Who knows.

I trailer my bike to TN every year. Why? It's not practical to ride out there with everything I need to take. I delivered plenty of bikes for customers to DC, NC, and points west, simply because they didn't have the time to drive down here and pick up their bike. Or, their bike wasn't running when we picked it up, and now it is. Does this make me less of a motorbiker than everyone else? In some people's eyes, I'm sure it does. But I'll still say I love motorbiking just as much as the next guy, and dare to say I have the mileage to prove it.

I think the second rule of motorbiking is to put the stigmas, stereotypes, and machismo associated with the hobby aside, and realize that we all like riding.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #16250
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 396
I like where this Conversation is going. I say that since you put the money down on the BMW then if you want to ride it into the ocean or even you garage it is all up to you. Welcome to the Area and don't worry most of us are just looking for a good time. . All this talk about your bike I want to see some PICS!!!

Matt does YOUTUBE hate you or something, Where the Hell-O is the Video
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #16251
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
Why is delivering the bike a rediculous concept? I realize that some people are so "hardcore" that they don't want to give the impression that their bike is a trailer queen. Or perhaps it's a pride thing, where people don't want their bike compared to other weekend warriors. Or maybe it has something to do with the penis. Who knows.

I trailer my bike to TN every year. Why? It's not practical to ride out there with everything I need to take. I delivered plenty of bikes for customers to DC, NC, and points west, simply because they didn't have the time to drive down here and pick up their bike. Or, their bike wasn't running when we picked it up, and now it is. Does this make me less of a motorbiker than everyone else? In some people's eyes, I'm sure it does. But I'll still say I love motorbiking just as much as the next guy, and dare to say I have the mileage to prove it.

I think the second rule of motorbiking is to put the stigmas, stereotypes, and machismo associated with the hobby aside, and realize that we all like riding.
I guess maybe ridiculous isn't the right word. It just isn't my vision for the bike. It's a 1200GS after all. I'm already planning to join an Ironbutt coworker to and through Mexico next year. How could I make that bike's first voyage be in a trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
I like where this Conversation is going. I say that since you put the money down on the BMW then if you want to ride it into the ocean or even you garage it is all up to you. Welcome to the Area and don't worry most of us are just looking for a good time. . All this talk about your bike I want to see some PICS!!!

Matt does YOUTUBE hate you or something, Where the Hell-O is the Video
Sadly, only cell phone pics so far.

ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #16252
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 396
Wow, Dont ride that thing anywhere. Put it in a glass case and begin to drool!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #16253
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
That is a nice looking GS. Congrats!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #16254
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
We did it last year.
I didn't
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #16255
Hack

Oddometer: 3,805
CLW.Throwing in my 2 cents. Take some sand paper or a sanding pad. Scuff the tires a bit at the very least. Good luck with the new bike.

I worked at a motorcycle shop for a couple years. In that short time I had to help pick up 4 brand spankin new bikes. One guy was not so lucky. He pulled out in front of a truck and totalled the bike. The engine was ripped out of the frame. Luckily somehow he did not even get a scratch.

One lady refused to let her husband ride the bike home or have us deliver it. She bought a new helmet,jacket, gloves etc. She popped the clutch, pulled an awesome wheelie, ran into our building breaking through a glass door. She was ok but the bike never left the shop afterwards. I think that ended her riding days.

I think people just get extra excited/nervous and make mistakes that they might not normally make.

We are not doubting your ability but rather looking out for a fellow riders safety. Good luck hope to meet you and see that beautiful bike someday.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #16256
Tidewater KLR
High Speed Hiker

Oddometer: 746
I get it CLW... I like your style and recommend you at least wait for better weather. I trailered my KLR home from the dealership in CA because I had absolutely no road experience and the drive was too far for me to be comfortable learning on the way. I spent the first week riding around the neighborhoos and on the abandoned air field at NAS Alameda before I started abusing the Oakland Hills.

My VStrom purchase last year was different, I drove to Richmond, bought the bike and drove the 100+ miles back to my house, on RT5 & RT10. I also had 30K miles under my belt.

Getting the bike home and in your posession is the goal right? The bike was carried to the dealership too, so you could consider this part of the delivery. I have a lot of stuff delivered to my house come to think of it...

TKLR
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
"A motorcycle in the garage is safe, but that is not what it is made for"
Photo library at http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Tumbleweed7/
Tidewater KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #16257
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
So, I'm going to ride the bike home tomorrow despite the rain. How bad an idea is this? It's a 2012 R1200GS, so that means metzeler tourance tires. I plan to take Cedar Rd to 13 to 58 to the James River Bridge, so no interstate to worry about (doing that route for engine bed in purposes).
Not sure where you are picking up 17 to the JRB, but be sure to watch the paving on 17 in Isle of Wight. Each day there is a new section where it is not advisable to change lanes due to the height difference between the old and new road surfaces.
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #16258
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
CLW.Throwing in my 2 cents. Take some sand paper or a sanding pad. Scuff the tires a bit at the very least. Good luck with the new bike.

I worked at a motorcycle shop for a couple years. In that short time I had to help pick up 4 brand spankin new bikes. One guy was not so lucky. He pulled out in front of a truck and totalled the bike. The engine was ripped out of the frame. Luckily somehow he did not even get a scratch.

One lady refused to let her husband ride the bike home or have us deliver it. She bought a new helmet,jacket, gloves etc. She popped the clutch, pulled an awesome wheelie, ran into our building breaking through a glass door. She was ok but the bike never left the shop afterwards. I think that ended her riding days.

I think people just get extra excited/nervous and make mistakes that they might not normally make.

We are not doubting your ability but rather looking out for a fellow riders safety. Good luck hope to meet you and see that beautiful bike someday.
This is where I'm coming from. Saw my share of brand new bikes wadded up from new riders on a new machine. Sometimes it's right out of the lot. Sometimes it's 6 blocks from the shop.

And I always told people, I'd rather you swallow your pride and let me bring you the bike, and go over everything with your new machine int he comfort of your driveway, than try and drag your heap into the back of the van, and spend the next month with insurance and repairs, leaving you without anything to ride.

A good shop will provide a new rider with everything they need, which isn't just gear and fuel. I always planned on at least a 15 minute conversation with the new owner about all the aspects of their new bike. No question they had was too stupid, and no concern went unanswered.

We were all new riders at one point in our lives, so looking down on someone for not being knowledgeable isn't something to take pride in. But that shouldn't be mistaken for genuine concern for someone who may not be thinking things through for whatever reason.

I'm just concerned, because of what I've seen a lot of.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #16259
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,177
Very nice, what is the difference between the 12gs "Ralleye" and a standard GS?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #16260
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
very nice, what is the difference between the 12gs "ralleye" and a standard gs?
bng........bold new graphics... !