ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #16306
NatetheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey all

New rider here dropping a line to introduce myself from VA Beach. TheWorstKind was my MSF instructor and I blame him for hooking me on yet ANOTHER expensive hobby. I am currently in the process of researching which adv bike I'd like to replace my Vulcan 800 with (Don't particularly care for the riding position on the cruisers and do a lot of camping so don't want a bike that limits me to pavement). Hopefully that plan will come to fruition by Spring of next year.
NatetheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #16307
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Oh, this could so many places.....................

Are you wearing pants? Maybe its wind burn?
Can't be wind burn - wear a Rev'It Tornado pant zipped to my Rev'it jacket. It's something wrong with my riding posture. Though two friends have told me that's just what happens to new riders who ride for long trips and that eventually it will stop happening, so maybe it's nothing.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #16308
NatetheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Can't be wind burn - wear a Rev'It Tornado pant zipped to my Rev'it jacket. It's something wrong with my riding posture. Though two friends have told me that's just what happens to new riders who ride for long trips and that eventually it will stop happening, so maybe it's nothing.
Not to get to personal but is it just red and irritated or do you have any bumps/swelling/inflammation? I had a similar issue along time ago and it turned out to be a rather common condition called a pilonidal cyst It was coined "jeep seat disease" during WWII
NatetheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #16309
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGreat View Post
Not to get to personal but is it just red and irritated or do you have any bumps/swelling/inflammation? I had a similar issue along time ago and it turned out to be a rather common condition called a pilonidal cyst It was coined "jeep seat disease" during WWII
No, not red or inflammed, just hurts when I bend to a new angle. Feels like a knot in my back...except further down.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #16310
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
What am I doing wrong with my seating position that top of my buttcrack is sore? Or is that just the result of doing 430 miles in the first 5 days of having a motorcycle?
heck, after 430, the ADV guys start looking for a place to stop for lunch.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #16311
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
No, not red or inflammed, just hurts when I bend to a new angle. Feels like a knot in my back...except further down.

Coccyx...a.k.a. your tailbone. You need to get the pressure off of it. Trust me, I'm all to familiar. Mine is broken and has been for years. Posture and seat are the antagonizers. A cruiser style bike would definitely do me in. Your hips need to roll forward so you are sitting on your butt and not near the top of it. If the pain is at the top of your crack then it's the coccyx if the pain is across your entire lower back then it's muscles.

moymurfs screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 07:51 PM
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #16312
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
New rider here dropping a line to introduce myself from VA Beach. TheWorstKind was my MSF instructor and I blame him for hooking me on yet ANOTHER expensive hobby. I am currently in the process of researching which adv bike I'd like to replace my Vulcan 800 with (Don't particularly care for the riding position on the cruisers and do a lot of camping so don't want a bike that limits me to pavement). Hopefully that plan will come to fruition by Spring of next year.
Well you'll get a lot of opinions................but the best is a Vstrom......Wee or Vee
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #16313
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
I had 5 of these, last one required me to travel across the country for a new surgery that has left me problem free for the last 5 years. My problem now is the massive amount of scar tissue left from each surgery. Guys think I'm a puss when I need to stop but little do they know. It's also why I stand when riding much of the time. I wouldn't wish a pilonidal cyst on even my worst enemy.

Quote:
Yeah man, I think it's supporting muscles. After ski season last year I decided to take up in line skating to stay in shape over summer. Bought a nice pair of skates and made it about a third of a mile before my lower back was spasming. There are so many support muscles down there trying to keep your core stable. One thing alot of us do is tend to get real stiff when riding. Stiff core, death grip on bars, etc. Try to avoid that, stay loose. Take a deep breath and relax whenever you can think of it. Also, more pics, or BMW was just a rental.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #16314
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Pics you say?

(not a rental!)

^ Whenever Fuji Replaces their X-Pro1, I plan to get back into photography (sold all my real gear, can't take a good cell phone pic to save my life)

And finally, when my friend told me to make a pose, I had no idea how quickly he could get a picture with his iphone

Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #16315
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,152
Tommy is probably right. You are looking at 4-5 hours of pavement to get to the mountains so you don't want too much of a dirt bike if you plan on riding there.

Stroms are fairly inexpensive compared to others, great street bikes and can handle most of the FS roads and Jeep trails in the National Forest.

Find a used one. After a year or two you may decide to get something more off-road worthy and you should be able to recoup most of the money you have in the Strom or keep it while adding a second bike.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #16316
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,152
Regarding seats and butts.

If this bike is a keeper and you will be putting on many many miles you might want to have Russel Day long saddles rebuild your seat. It is not cheap but worth it in my opinion.

I have a few 1,000 mile days under belt with no butt pain what so ever.

Some people don't like the looks but if you are into function over form it shouldn't matter.

The wings take a lot of pressure off the rest of your butt.

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #16317
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 382
That looks fabulous !!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #16318
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Plus, when the final drive asplodes, it looks like the seat is cupped perfectly to catch all your tears.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #16319
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,012
Hatfield McCoy

Hey gang, im back to the land of the living after 2 weeks battling pneumonia, so I'm here to guage interest in our trip out to the Hatfield McCoy trails June 14, 15, 16, and 17. So far I think Daang and I are fully committed. Since we're only a month away, I wanted to go ahead and lock down a cabin if we get enough people. I was thinking about staying in Pineville, giving us access to Indian Ridge, pinnacle creek, and Pocahontas. Trails Lodging seems to have pretty reasonable rates. Anyway, if I can get some firm commitments this week, I'll go ahead and place the deposit on an appropriately sized cabin. Those 3 trail systems total over 200 miles, plus the other systems are within striking distance from there. there should be enough variety for all types of bikes and skill levels. Who's in?

I'm only bringing one bike, so there's room in my truck for another as well if you don't feel like riding all the way there.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #16320
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
Hey gang, im back to the land of the living after 2 weeks battling pneumonia, so I'm here to guage interest in our trip out to the Hatfield McCoy trails June 14, 15, 16, and 17. So far I think Daang and I are fully committed. Since we're only a month away, I wanted to go ahead and lock down a cabin if we get enough people. I was thinking about staying in Pineville, giving us access to Indian Ridge, pinnacle creek, and Pocahontas. Trails Lodging seems to have pretty reasonable rates. Anyway, if I can get some firm commitments this week, I'll go ahead and place the deposit on an appropriately sized cabin. Those 3 trail systems total over 200 miles, plus the other systems are within striking distance from there. there should be enough variety for all types of bikes and skill levels. Who's in?

I'm only bringing one bike, so there's room in my truck for another as well if you don't feel like riding all the way there.
CANT WAIT!

Just a heads up for anyone that doesnt know much about HM trails. Dirt bikes are definitely the best thing to ride but there are plenty of trails doable on big bikes even 1200's. The trails are all numbered and colored in difficulty so you can avoid the tough stuff easily if needed. In the towns you can ride dirt bikes/ATVs on the streets with no tag/headlights ect.

I highly recommend you join us if youve ever considered going out there.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote