ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #16726
NatetheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey guys,

Been lurking around and taking in some of the non street opportunities available to us here in Hampton Roads and it looks like its not much. Ive been doing a lot of research into what bike to get. Ive been riding a Vulcan 800 and don't much care for the cruisers.

I was hoping for some feedback from you local guys on what some good bikes would be to get my feet wet offroad specifically pertaining to what we have available to ride in the area. In a perfect world that bike would also do well on my 15 mile one way non highway commute for work. Being bareable at highway speeds would be a plus since i enjoy taking weekend trips of 1-200 miles roundtrip.

Ive been eyeing bikes like the DL650, KLR650, BMW G650, Husky Terra, etc.
NatetheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #16727
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGreat View Post
Hey guys,

Been lurking around and taking in some of the non street opportunities available to us here in Hampton Roads and it looks like its not much. Ive been doing a lot of research into what bike to get. Ive been riding a Vulcan 800 and don't much care for the cruisers.

I was hoping for some feedback from you local guys on what some good bikes would be to get my feet wet offroad specifically pertaining to what we have available to ride in the area. In a perfect world that bike would also do well on my 15 mile one way non highway commute for work. Being bareable at highway speeds would be a plus since i enjoy taking weekend trips of 1-200 miles roundtrip.

Anything but a KLR

XR, DR, KTM525, or Terra if you want a slightly better off road bike. GS if you want a slightly better street bike. Any of them are great dual sports just depends on what you want just a little bit more.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #16728
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Anything but a KLR

XR, DR, KTM525, or Terra if you want a slightly better off road bike. GS if you want a slightly better street bike. Any of them are great dual sports just depends on what you want just a little bit more.
Personally I like my KLR but admittedly it's not a dirt bike, good on hard packed trails (fire trails and dirt roads) it will go anywhere but you do have to take it easy :) soft sand and deep mud youll be picking it up :) but its easy to work on, and among the best on after market items & cheap parts
My DR is more dirt oriented a touch lighter but yet again it's not a dirt bike and not quite as good on the street.

I'd say in reality anything really good in the dirt is going to suck on extended street rides & interstates and you'll probably end up putting it in / on / behind a truck to get with in range of trails
I really like The GS1200 if I could commute with it daily I'd look in that direction then the cost would be worth it to me, but I only get to ride maybe 1 day a week at best so my big cash needs to go for my truck currently a 2012 Tundra that I've already put 45k miles on.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #16729
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Hey guys,

Welcome to the conundrum that is living in Hampton Roads and being a dirt enthusiast. We all ride these dual sports seemingly lying to ourselves that eventually we'll find that hidden trail and move out of the gridlock and have some fun. Truth is there are literally just a few trails down here (Southside anyway), most good riding is west of us.

Like the others have said, most bikes are biased toward street or dirt, but will do both, with an advantage on one or the other.

I've got a DRZ you're welcome to try out if you want to see how they are. It's great in the dirt, but I probably ride 70% street/30% dirt/gravel.

As many others have found before us, having 2 bikes (one street/one dirt) seems to be the way to go. I can't afford I so I ride my DRZ when I can and try to ignore the urge to get something street oriented as well.

If you'll never do any single track, a V-Strom seems to be a great bike. They'll do gravel/fire roads (and a whole lot more depending on the rider) all day.

Good luck in your search!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #16730
Gmmandan
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Whats up 757 been lurking for a while decided to go ahead and sign up.
Gmmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #16731
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmmandan View Post
A/S/L?

Oh wait wrong forum.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #16732
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Hey guys,

I know a guy selling an SV650, if you're interested. He's up in Chesterfield.

Also, you might want to ad the BMW F650GS to your list of possibles. I like mine.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #16733
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #16734
NatetheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Welcome to the conundrum that is living in Hampton Roads and being a dirt enthusiast. We all ride these dual sports seemingly lying to ourselves that eventually we'll find that hidden trail and move out of the gridlock and have some fun. Truth is there are literally just a few trails down here (Southside anyway), most good riding is west of us.

Like the others have said, most bikes are biased toward street or dirt, but will do both, with an advantage on one or the other.

I've got a DRZ you're welcome to try out if you want to see how they are. It's great in the dirt, but I probably ride 70% street/30% dirt/gravel.

As many others have found before us, having 2 bikes (one street/one dirt) seems to be the way to go. I can't afford I so I ride my DRZ when I can and try to ignore the urge to get something street oriented as well.

If you'll never do any single track, a V-Strom seems to be a great bike. They'll do gravel/fire roads (and a whole lot more depending on the rider) all day.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the input. I agree with you 100% that having two bikes seems to be the way to go. I'm thinking hard about going with a middle weight bike like the F800 or a weestrom. I may take you up on that offer about the DRZ one day I just don't think I'll be very happy if a true dual sport is all I have in the garage to play with. My wife has been relentlessly asking me to go out on rides together and thats obviously not happening on any of the smaller true dual sporters.
NatetheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #16735
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmmandan View Post
Nice! And welcome !
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #16736
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
So when will a street legal WR450F be out?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #16737
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post

very cool
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #16738
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Easy ways to make it happen. Ask DirtViking.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #16739
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
Not sure if any of you remember the shoot I did this past spring with my friend Becky. Anyway, the shoot paid off, and Australia's Hysteria Magazine did a bit on her, using the photos!

http://www.australianhysteria.com.au/

Yes, I'm bragging.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #16740
-TRED-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Easy ways to make it happen. Ask DirtViking.
I might pull the trigger soon and get it. It's the bike I've wanted for quite a while, but put sooooo much $$ into DRZ mods that I'll never get it back. It feels like It would be a waste if I didn't ride it for a while.

Great Video!

I was going really fast until I crashed.....BRAAAAP!
-TRED- is offline   Reply With Quote