ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #16786
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
There's three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth. Being that I worked at Redline (no longer do), I find it amusing the stories that would come out on a public forum, knowing very well what actually happened.

That being said, AMA Flat Track series is coming to Colonial Downs in August!

http://www.colonialdowns.com/motorcycle-race/

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #16787
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
There's three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth. Being that I worked at Redline (no longer do), I find it amusing the stories that would come out on a public forum, knowing very well what actually happened.
Hey, I completely agree, I say the same thing all the time. I just relay a story about Redline from a person whom I've know for years, and I have absolutely no doubt he told me the truth. I could be wrong.

I called Redline a couple of years ago, because I was sincerely interested in buying an RXV. I called and when I asked if they had one. Before I could even utter "or can you order one", the "sales" person on the other end of the line said to me "why would we carry one of those?" Not, "no, but we can get one"; not "no, there isn't a strong market around here for that type of bike, but we can get one; not "no, we really can't sit on inventory for such a niche market, but we can get one"; not "no, those are really hard to come by"....you get my point. That is my side, and the truth, take it or leave it. I'm not here to bash on you, or any of your friends and acquaintances. I'm sure there are a bunch of stand up guys working at all the local places. But in reality, there's just too many people, telling too many similar stories about these local places for it all to be he said/she said shit.
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #16788
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Saw this on another forum, wanted to share:

Commonwealth of Virginia: Allow safe lane splitting in traffic and at red lights

http://www.change.org/petitions/comm...-at-red-lights
Signed. Thank you for posting this up. I would have never seen it otherwise.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #16789
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,693
I was told and he should have told you that they could order one but Aprilla will send additional motorcyles for their inventory and thay are hard to move. They do not know what others they will recieve. You may notice not too many Aprilla's in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
Hey, I completely agree, I say the same thing all the time. I just relay a story about Redline from a person whom I've know for years, and I have absolutely no doubt he told me the truth. I could be wrong.

I called Redline a couple of years ago, because I was sincerely interested in buying an RXV. I called and when I asked if they had one. Before I could even utter "or can you order one", the "sales" person on the other end of the line said to me "why would we carry one of those?" Not, "no, but we can get one"; not "no, there isn't a strong market around here for that type of bike, but we can get one; not "no, we really can't sit on inventory for such a niche market, but we can get one"; not "no, those are really hard to come by"....you get my point. That is my side, and the truth, take it or leave it. I'm not here to bash on you, or any of your friends and acquaintances. I'm sure there are a bunch of stand up guys working at all the local places. But in reality, there's just too many people, telling too many similar stories about these local places for it all to be he said/she said shit.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #16790
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
I was told and he should have told you that they could order one but Aprilla will send additional motorcyles for their inventory and thay are hard to move. They do not know what others they will recieve. You may notice not too many Aprilla's in the shop.
That's a perfectly acceptable explanation, and I would have be happy with that. Seems a bit odd, but acceptable.
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #16791
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
does anyone have Error Cooled's BRT files? I've been trying to get them from him for like a month, but I guess he's out on a trip as I haven't heard anything from him.
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #16792
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmeister View Post
does anyone have Error Cooled's BRT files? I've been trying to get them from him for like a month, but I guess he's out on a trip as I haven't heard anything from him.
PM me your email.

Anyone down for a trip to Bike Night at Quaker Steak?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #16793
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:

It's stories like this which confuse and baffle me. Because even in the short time I worked there, not once did I ever tell a customer "no" for anything. Not for a part, apparel, bike, service, etc. Ever.

Why? Because like everyone else who works, and worked there, being heard to say "no" would be like muttering some unthinkable word so vile and offensive that the very thought of it would rip a whole so large in time and space that the very existence of humanity would be swallowed whole, never to rule any other part of the universe again. And I'm not exaggerating.

Unfortunately, there are different rules for different employees and different situations, which makes learning anything there all but impossible.

I'm certainly not going to call anyone here a liar, because I don't know the whole of the story. But I have seen customers come into the shop, told them myself what was wrong with their bike and how long it would take to fix it, and then watch them turn around and tell a COMPLETELY different story on this very thread, knowing exactly how it went down. But in the interest of customer privacy, I did, and shall continue, to bite my tongue. Why did they do it? Your guess is as good as mine. Did they already have a preconceived opinion of the shop, and were just waiting for one morsel of negativity to set them off? Are they trying to impress the masses? I have no idea.

I continue to have my bikes worked on there. Both of them. I trust every technician there, because I've seen how much they know. They've worked on anything and everything on the market. There's really not enough I can say about how good of a job they do.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #16794
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631

Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #16795
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,588
Definitely didnt mean for my post to turn into a dealer argument. Im simply trying to help the dual sport community with the ability to put our hands on some good quality merchandise before we buy it.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #16796
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaang View Post
definitely didnt mean for my post to turn into a dealer argument. Im simply trying to help the dual sport community with the ability to put our hands on some good quality merchandise before we buy it.
You are solely to blame here.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #16797
nuggets
Fries with that?

Dealers. Sometimes they suck, but somebody has to sell other people bikes so I can buy them used at 30 cents on the dollar.

I tried buying parts at Cycle City Corp in an effort to support my dealer. It took an hour every time, and was such a pain in the ass I gave it up. They were never discourteous or anything, it just took forever.

Redline gave me a free inspection once. That was nice of them.

Mike, I don't understand why you try so hard to defend Redline. You said you don't even work for them. Not trying to rag on you, I just don't understand. No vendor can make everyone happy.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #16798
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
I was interested in a Guzzi V7 for awhile

and after a few e-mail inquiries a "salesman" finally got back to me and quoted ...
LIST price. Hell, I knew what list price was ... I thought they'd actually try to SELL me one. I guess it just wasn't worth their trouble. Like they're not worth mine now.

Quote:

Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #16799
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Mike, I don't understand why you try so hard to defend Redline. You said you don't even work for them. Not trying to rag on you, I just don't understand. No vendor can make everyone happy.
I guess because I have good friends who still work there, and work very hard there at what they do. So when I hear people bad mouth the entire place, or say they enjoy ripping people off, or when I hear them make up stories to fuel their own skewed perception of reality, I kinda take it personally.

It's no different than if someone began to openly critisize your friends or family for something a friend's neighbor heard at the coffee shop.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #16800
Slug.go
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Definitely didnt mean for my post to turn into a dealer argument. Im simply trying to help the dual sport community with the ability to put our hands on some good quality merchandise before we buy it.
Matt,
First, nice header off the wood pile...glad you're OK.
To your point, that's exactly why some dealers don't stock certain gear. The dealers see too many guys who walk in, try on for size then order online.
I'd support ANY store that sells gear at a comparative price to online, especially KLIM. You can get Joe Rocket and Bilt all over town, but to have access to most other gear you have to go online. I've been wanting to try Aerostitch gear for a while, but to guarantee a good fit, it seems like a crapshoot unless you go to the factory in Minnesota.
I'd rather buy from a dealer or local shop, build a relationship, find a place to hang out. I don't think CW is the anti-Christ, I've had good experiences with their parts department, even the sales guys a couple times. Maybe we didn't see eye to eye on price, but they were courteous and informative. If they don't want to come down on price, maybe they lose a sale...to me, they might make up for it on the next guy. If I want it bad enough I buy it, that's business.
If I can get a better deal elsewhere, I go there, that's how it works. Doesn't make the place a bad business, they have to make $ to stay open.
I've had nothing but good vibrations from Adventure, they may not be the cheapest, but it's a BMW store! (Bring More Wampum!) I feel welcome there, ask a bunch of dumbshit questions, and get good service. They have given me a lot of good and free advice.
My bottom line, it would be nice if some store would stock gear for the dual sport crowd. Adventure has some, but it's largely BMW and expensive. Unfortunately, the dual sport crowd is a minority in this area and to support a storefront that has the gear would require a lot of word of mouth advertising.
How about this...ask KLIM, et al, to have a 'marketing day' at CW and show the owners our support. Nothing free, just a 'Dual Sport Gear Open House', may prove that it's either a good idea or get you fired. Kind of like, 'when in doubt, throttle out'. Either way, you'll know.

Rant over.
Slug.go is offline   Reply With Quote