ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #16846
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Yeah Brian, I kind of wished that I would have gone that route. Eastern Beaver has a nice H4 headlight wiring harness and relay that is suppose to be really great. One thing that is nice about the AUX lights though is a few weeks ago, my stock headlight bulb blew, low and high beams, but was still able to ride safely to work with use of the AUX lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Another thing to consider for weak lights is running heavier gauge wire to the light straight from the battery and have your old wiring control the new with a relay.

I used to run 100 watt bulbs in my old K bikes and it really made a difference.

HID conversions are pretty easy too and use less power than a reg bulb. I have enough extra HID parts to probably do another bike if anyone wants them. Free.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #16847
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 567
Thanks again Marc for the free V-strom parts

I got 2 see his lights and they are very sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
Very quality product. I'm usually a cheap guy, but these solve two items for me - being conspicuous during the daytime and getting a good driving light for the few times I find myself out after dark. It's great the way they tie into the horn and high beams so they flash full on when you hit the horn or high beams.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #16848
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Yeah Brian, I kind of wished that I would have gone that route. Eastern Beaver has a nice H4 headlight wiring harness and relay that is suppose to be really great.
You will need longer battery terminal bolts or glue the nuts to the bottom of the terminal. I did the longer bolt for the Mosfet install so I could get the kit for the Vstrom.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #16849
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,367
I would just make my own, but I did buy one thing from Eastern Beaver, can't remember what it was but I was impressed by the quality.

Nobody wants a free HID kit, should all work you would just maybe need to order your particular bulb base.

I didn't have enough room for it on my DR and I am figuring LED is the wave of the future.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #16850
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
I would just make my own, but I did buy one thing from Eastern Beaver, can't remember what it was but I was impressed by the quality.

Nobody wants a free HID kit, should all work you would just maybe need to order your particular bulb base.

I didn't have enough room for it on my DR and I am figuring LED is the wave of the future.
I typically ride around with my hi-beam on 100% of the time on my DRZ during the day. Admittedly, I know zero about lighting. Assuming HID draws less? Just looked at some comparo pictures and it definitely looks MUCH brighter than stock. Either way, I'd love to take it off your hands and add it to the list of upcoming mods to the bike.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #16851
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:

I do have a relay and some wire so I could make it but still have to have the longer battery terminal bolts.

Wonder if I could install HID on one side of the Vstrom. No I'll just do the wiring for the next modification.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #16852
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I typically ride around with my hi-beam on 100% of the time on my DRZ during the day. Admittedly, I know zero about lighting. Assuming HID draws less? Just looked at some comparo pictures and it definitely looks MUCH brighter than stock. Either way, I'd love to take it off your hands and add it to the list of upcoming mods to the bike.

yours, just let me know when you want to pick it up.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #16853
motorcycle_guy2004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
LEDs for visibility

I added some inexpensive LEDs from PlasmaLED to my Vstrom, more for being seen than adding to the light output. It's an inexpensive option, and probably not as good for you off-road riders, but they've held up well to 2,000+ miles of road riding so far.

A few details and pics here: http://kayaktom.com/plasma-led-aux-driving-lights/ for those who are interested.

- Tom
motorcycle_guy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #16854
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,772
I got a clean VA street title today for my KX250 two stroke motocross bike.

Here it is at Quaker Steak bike night.

Oh, and you guys think your lights suck . I am powering mine off of a circuit meant just to run a solenoid on the carb.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #16855
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Hey everyone,

Most of you know that I took a position at Cycle World and Ive been trying to make it a better place for everyone in each moto genre.

My question for you guys is: would you buy KLIM type adventure gear from a local brick and mortar store if items were stocked at fair pricing?

Please let me know and I might be able to convince the parts manager that there is a market for it in Hampton Roads.
Would I buy at competitive pricing from a local dealer, absolutely. And have from Cycle Gear.

Would I buy from Cycle World, absolutely not. Not even interested in stopping by, too many bad experiences there.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #16856
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmeister View Post
I was thinking the same thing during the dealer bickering. However, this IS Hampton Roads chatter

Yup, established specifically to chat. Nothing in the title should be construed as requiring a motorcycle to be included in every post.

See post one for details.
COG 5903
Old 07-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #16857
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
Hey guys,does anybody know a good forum where people talk about riding and adventure and camping? I have been searching for a place to get good info on these topics?
Yes, you're on it.
COG 5903
Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #16858
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is our chatter thread, doesn't have to be 100% riding but it shouldn't be polarizing either.
This man speaks the truth.

I'm a little behind the times, been in the UP drinking, riding and shooting. Yes, sometimes all at the same time, oh my!

COG 5903
Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #16859
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Me and my riding buddy are heading out on the 20th.

Last year we headed out West and hit The St. Louis Arch, Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons and Dinosaur National Park.

This year is bike camping in the UP, a ferry ride to the least visited National Park (Isle Royale) and a trip into Minn. to visit the International Wolf Center.

Just saw this after posting my pics. I just got back from a week and a half up there. I'm from Calumet, MI, my parents have house on the shore of Lake Superior.
COG 5903
Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #16860
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,164
Quote:
This year is bike camping in the UP, a ferry ride to the least visited National Park (Isle Royale) and a trip into Minn. to visit the International Wolf Center.
grew up not far from Ely. my family was using the border waters by 1907.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote