ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #16861
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I got a clean VA street title today for my KX250 two stroke motocross bike.

Here it is at Quaker Steak bike night.

Oh, and you guys think your lights suck . I am powering mine off of a circuit meant just to run a solenoid on the carb.
That's awesome! I want one
Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #16862
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ757 View Post
That's awesome! I want one
I can help you. It's not that hard.

You can buy mine if you want it . I like it a lot, but I am getting in the mood for another project, and I can always build another.

If you get one of the two strokes with a powerjet carb(bike will have 12V DC and a regulator/rectifier), you can get away without buying a lighting stator. I have enough light to be legal, but I wouldn't try riding with it at night.

These are the bikes with the powerjet carb:
RM 250 99-08, KX 250 98-07, KX 125 99-00, CR 250 97-98

Anything under 300cc with a clean vin is no problem to plate.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #16863
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I can help you. It's not that hard.

You can buy mine if you want it . I like it a lot, but I am getting in the mood for another project, and I can always build another.

If you get one of the two strokes with a powerjet carb(bike will have 12V DC and a regulator/rectifier), you can get away without buying a lighting stator. I have enough light to be legal, but I wouldn't try riding with it at night.

These are the bikes with the powerjet carb:
RM 250 99-08, KX 250 98-07, KX 125 99-00, CR 250 97-98

Anything under 300cc with a clean vin is no problem to plate.
As soon as I finish my current project (redoing my deck) I'm going to take you up on this
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #16864
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ757 View Post
As soon as I finish my current project (redoing my deck) I'm going to take you up on this
I'll be happy to help you. Just let me know. I have a bunch of Fridays off now
Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #16865
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
I just got back from my trip to the Trans Lab Hiway, and wow, what an adventure. We started the trip by taking in the motocross national in Southwick, Mass. From there, it was to the coast, were we picked up Rt.1 and hugged the coastline all the way up to Calais, Me, were we crossed into New Brunswick, Canada. We rode some of the Bay of Fundy shoreline into Nova Scotia and up to Cabot Trail.

We took an eight hour ferry ride from NS to Newfoundland. We toured around the island for a couple of days and headed up the Northern Peninsula were we took another ferry across to Labrador. Here, we picked up the Trans Lab. It was a three day ride across Labrador and Quebec, and back to civilization. We worked our way down the St. Lawrence river, were we crossed back into Me. We crossed Me. into NH, and Vt, were we headed south and picked up Rt.13 and back home.

We were on the road for two weeks. Along the way, we saw moose, bald eagles, and a couple of critters that I'm not sure what they were. We saw some of the most spectacular scenery the planet has to offer. I lost count of the icebergs. The Trans Lab? A real wilderness experience. Just a road, were the quality ranged from, half decent, to, WTF, cut through the interior with no signs of inhabitation for hundreds of miles.

If you're planning on doing this trip, you'd better do it soon. West of Goose Bay, they're paving it as fast as they can. I've done a couple of cross country trips. They were both great rides. But this was more than a great ride, It was a true adventure.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #16866
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Do any of you KLR guys have any spare valve shims to sell? I need 2x255s and 2x235s
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #16867
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmeister View Post
Do any of you KLR guys have any spare valve shims to sell? I need 2x255s and 2x235s
What diameter? I did a quick look on the web and did not find it. The DL650 uses 7.48 mm. I have 4 2.35 and 3 2.55. I'll trade but am home with a detached retina waiting for surgery Monday.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #16868
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
What diameter? I did a quick look on the web and did not find it. The DL650 uses 7.48 mm. I have 4 2.35 and 3 2.55. I'll trade but am home with a detached retina waiting for surgery Monday.
Klr's are 29mm. Same size as old BMW k bikes.
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #16869
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,906
Too big.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #16870
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
I just got back from my trip to the Trans Lab Hiway, and wow, what an adventure. We started the trip by taking in the motocross national in Southwick, Mass. From there, it was to the coast, were we picked up Rt.1 and hugged the coastline all the way up to Calais, Me, were we crossed into New Brunswick, Canada. We rode some of the Bay of Fundy shoreline into Nova Scotia and up to Cabot Trail.

We took an eight hour ferry ride from NS to Newfoundland. We toured around the island for a couple of days and headed up the Northern Peninsula were we took another ferry across to Labrador. Here, we picked up the Trans Lab. It was a three day ride across Labrador and Quebec, and back to civilization. We worked our way down the St. Lawrence river, were we crossed back into Me. We crossed Me. into NH, and Vt, were we headed south and picked up Rt.13 and back home.

We were on the road for two weeks. Along the way, we saw moose, bald eagles, and a couple of critters that I'm not sure what they were. We saw some of the most spectacular scenery the planet has to offer. I lost count of the icebergs. The Trans Lab? A real wilderness experience. Just a road, were the quality ranged from, half decent, to, WTF, cut through the interior with no signs of inhabitation for hundreds of miles.

If you're planning on doing this trip, you'd better do it soon. West of Goose Bay, they're paving it as fast as they can. I've done a couple of cross country trips. They were both great rides. But this was more than a great ride, It was a true adventure.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #16871
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #16872
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,911
I forgot to mention....

If you decide to undertake the throttle body synch on the VStrom yourself, I've got a Twinmax you can use.

Glad to find a home for the parts....and nice to meet you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgwhat View Post
Thanks again Marc for the free V-strom parts
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #16873
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Pix are coming. My computer skills are pretty limited, so I've got to figure out how to post them.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #16874
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post

So jealous!!! I was all geared up for this trip 2 years ago, and then we turned up pregnant. So my trip was put on hold.

Question, what the longest stretch you had to go between fuel stops? What type of fuel range do you need?
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #16875
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
So jealous!!! I was all geared up for this trip 2 years ago, and then we turned up pregnant. So my trip was put on hold.

Question, what the longest stretch you had to go between fuel stops? What type of fuel range do you need?
We fueled up in Port Hope Simpson and took it all the way Goose Bay. It was around 260 miles. I had to add a gallon of fuel to my GS, my partner never added fuel to his KLR, but he did go to reserve. We could have went up into Cartwright and refueled there, but we figured we were ok to keep going. For sure, you need an extra gallon of fuel on hand.