ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #18526
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
My remarks were aimed at 1150s and my 06 GS and older bikes with a bunch of miles.

Looking at your profile I see you have an '11 GSA. Is it ESA? Either way you are talking some big bucks for Ohlins, Wilbers etc. I'd consider holding off until you have those close to worn out, especially if your a normal size guy. That is unless you aren't satisfied with them or you have 2 grand you don't need.

Check that what you have is set up to the best of it's ability. My biggest reason for going Ohlins is if I can't change springs on the stock shock or if the shock is worn.

I'm a pretty big guy so I pretty much have to make some changes to any bike I buy if I want the suspension to be correct.
Yes, it has ESA. There are several settings, as you're aware. On the firmest setting the suspension isn't soft, but it isn't exactly firm either. This is especially so with a full tank of fuel and full panniers, etc. With just me and about 1/2 tank (or less) of fuel the suspension feels close. I don't have 2K burning a hole in my pocket, so I'll live with it like it is for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the insight.

Didn't realize you did an Alaska trip until seeing the picture of your yellow gs. Looks awesome. That trip is on my bucket list.
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #18527
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaniman View Post
I've got Ohlins on my 05 1200GS you're welcome to try it out anytime if your considering an upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Thanks for the offer. I may do that.

Saw your post about the WR and YZ differences. Mostly everything that was said is correct. The WR has an 18" rear wheel and the YZ a 19". Your bike, and most dual sport bikes all have 18" wheels. All mx bikes have 19" rear wheels. The YZ is a much lighter bike (no starter or starter gears, lights, wiring harness, etc.)

In '12 the WR got a pretty good suspension upgrade that fixed the "too soft" complaints for the prior years. I still have the stock set-up on mine. '12 was also the year that the WR went to fuel injection. They've had issues with starting (check out my post on Thumper Talk). It's a real issue, but it looks as though there's a way to partially cure it. After the thing is started, it runs beautifully. You can change the fuel mapping in a matter of minutes, which is why I bought the bike. I didn't want to mess with jetting a carb again. Other than the starting issue, I've been very pleased it.

Yamaha will typically feature the latest bike technologies or developments on the YZ first. They went to fuel injection in '09 or '10 on that bike. They have a new engine (at least on the 450) this year and I'm sure a bunch of other upgrades. Those changes will trickle down to the WR eventually.

It would be much easier to convert a WR into a dual sport type bike than a YZ. For the type of riding that we do in this area, the WR makes more sense. If you had a mx background, then maybe a converted YZ would fit better.

Jon
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #18528
RGBV
n00b +

Oddometer: 9
Motorcycle Mechanics Workshops

Anyone know of upcoming motorcycle mechanics workshops or evening classes in the Hampton Roads area? Looking to increase my knowledge/confidence in properly maintaining my own bike. Currently I have zero experience so any suggestions would be helpful.
RGBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #18529
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,081
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #18530
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBV View Post
Anyone know of upcoming motorcycle mechanics workshops or evening classes in the Hampton Roads area? Looking to increase my knowledge/confidence in properly maintaining my own bike. Currently I have zero experience so any suggestions would be helpful.
There is always Nuggets' free bike tech clinic
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #18531
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 389
DN in the AM

Looks like rain tonight, but clear in the morning, mid 60s - perfect for a DN mud run! I plan to be in the Food Lion parking lot at 1000. At 1010 I'm rolling into the swamp! Come on out and have some fun!

Cheers,
Lance

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #18532
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickInVA View Post
That place is terrible
Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #18533
RGBV
n00b +

Oddometer: 9
Thanks Guys. PM sent to nuggets.
RGBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #18534
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,596
=( this is really really sad. Kurt was a great rider and an even more amazing person. Apparently the accident was caused by a booby trap along the Baja 1000 course. There is some crazy kind of evil in this world.

*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #18535
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Got a text early this AM about this.

Godspeed brother rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
=( this is really really sad. Kurt was a great rider and an even more amazing person. Apparently the accident was caused by a booby trap along the Baja 1000 course. There is some crazy kind of evil in this world.

hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #18536
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Alright, where am I riding to today? With my current front tire condition, the only off road I'll do is gravel.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #18537
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 389
What a loss... he seemed like a genuinely decent and humble guy who could ride the hell out of a dirtbike. I really enjoyed watching his helmet cam vids. Who the hell would booby trap the Baja?!

Rest in Peace, Kurt
Lance

Quote:

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #18538
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,081
Calling Daang

I'm sure there is a honda enthusiast on this site somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrehy View Post
I would consider selling my CRF. Either complete or the rally kit only.

It's an 09 which was bought new in a crate in january 2011, did a few hours on it before desert challenge that year and a few rides between DC 2011 and 2012. Hardly ridden since DC2012. Has less than 10 hours since full top end overhaul which included valves, camshaft, piston etc. Bike has done Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge 2011 and 2012. Is full current FIM spec (i.e smaller gps etc).

Also has a full spares package as I have always looked after my own bike. Includes a spare set of wheels (haan cush-drive hubs), spare cylinder head assembly, boxes of gaskets, filters etc. etc. etc.

Everything you would need to enter FIM Cross Country Rally or similar events. I have the original shipping crate. Bike is located in Wiltshire UK and is fully road legal and registered in the UK.

Open to sensible enquiries.

poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #18539
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:

Sad.
I hear the Mexicans booby trap it every year.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #18540
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I thought that it was caused by a trap was refuted by the team?