ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #18796
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
doubt he will make it all the way around the world on that
Maybe he was heading down to Hampton Roads Harley Davidson to swap. He jumps from dealer to dealer to make it. I saw a HD clothing commercial on TV last night. With Santa so that's his payoff.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #18797
screamin injin
FUBAR
 
screamin injin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Norfolk, VA
Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
Mine saved me a lot of hassle down in Carolina this morning.
Been there before!
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #18798
poondangle
Slow
 
poondangle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Oddometer: 1,253
Well, I got clearance from the doc to do some off road riding. I blasted every dirt road in Suffolk and IOW Sunday. Then did a little semi-legal excursion out behind the house. I've never dealt with a major injury like this before. Its really strange to get back on the bike. I have zero confidence right now. I'm sure that will come back though.

So, I'm still fighting this damned head shake at speed. I thought I had it completely licked, then I jump on the bike Sunday,and its back. Its at a higher speed, around 75MPH, but its back. Riding the gravel at 80-90MPH with the front end going everywhere isn't what I call confidence inspiring, especially with only 1 good arm and shoulder. I think the front tire has to go. I didn't get that wobble until I put this tire on, so I'm ditching it. If anyone wants a Pirelli rally pro 90/90-21 hit me up. It has about 300 miles on it. I make no guarantees as to the tire. But, its free to a good home, just come get it.

Along that same line, GPR is running a $100 off sale until the end of the year. Anyone have any experience with their steering dampers?

poondangle screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 08:07 AM
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #18799
MGB
ex. BmwDuc
 
MGB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton and Forks of Buffalo, VA
Oddometer: 1,898
For as much local riding as I do...

I hardly see any adventure type bikes. Yesterday I sped past 2 GS's on the HOV heading back to Hampton from the beach. Wierd!! A red 1200 and a 1200 adventure I think (had an ADV sticker on the left pannier).

Nice change from all the cruisers and sport bikes I see all the time.

Merry Christmas everybody!
__________________
1. "The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs" Anonymous
2. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #18800
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
If anyone wants a Pirelli rally pro 90/90-21 hit me up. It has about 300 miles on it. I make no guarantees as to the tire. But, its free to a good home, just come get it.
DIBS!

No need to take the trouble of pulling it off the bike, I can take the whole deal
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #18801
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
If anyone wants a Pirelli rally pro 90/90-21 hit me up. It has about 300 miles on it. I make no guarantees as to the tire. But, its free to a good home, just come get it.

Along that same line, GPR is running a $100 off sale until the end of the year. Anyone have any experience with their steering dampers?
We need to ride soon man.

If you are still thinking it is tire related I have a lightly used MT-21 and a brand new 908RR you can try. I can run the rally pro on the 450......current gearing does not allow for extended 75 on any surface....

Did you take a good look at the Moto-z front that I am running? It shakes a little when I am hard on the gas......but on the SE I have not found a tire that does not yet.

On a side note. I am off work the 27th and 28th. Anybody up for a ride. Street, DS, dirt.....it's all good. Have the Buell back Potatoing again and just put a Slavens spring on the 450 that needs a workout.
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #18802
poondangle
Slow
 
poondangle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
We need to ride soon man.

If you are still thinking it is tire related I have a lightly used MT-21 and a brand new 908RR you can try. I can run the rally pro on the 450......current gearing does not allow for extended 75 on any surface....

Did you take a good look at the Moto-z front that I am running? It shakes a little when I am hard on the gas......but on the SE I have not found a tire that does not yet.

On a side note. I am off work the 27th and 28th. Anybody up for a ride. Street, DS, dirt.....it's all good. Have the Buell back Potatoing again and just put a Slavens spring on the 450 that needs a workout.
Ive got a used MT-21 too. I have a brand new XCMH that I'm going to try. I'm not too thrilled with going to 80/100 vs a 90/90 for the street though. I'll just wear those out before sandblast, then I'll mount some Michelin s12's
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #18803
poondangle
Slow
 
poondangle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
DIBS!

No need to take the trouble of pulling it off the bike, I can take the whole deal
In that kind of deal, which I am willing to entertain, there will be stipulations. You'll have to take a few extra things with you....free of charge, of course.

1. The wife (what she lacks in income, she more than make up for in needs)
2. The children, they'll be out of diapers, some day
3. Pick a bill, any bill, I don't care.

That swap still sound good?

Seriously though, the tire goes to the first person that comes to get it.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #18804
poondangle
Slow
 
poondangle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Oddometer: 1,253
sandblast

So if anyone is on the fence about sandblast, you better look at entering soon. We're up to 39 cars and 23 bikes so far. The initial allotment is for 30 cars and 50 bikes. Eventually they're going to cut the entry list off at 60 minutes worth of vehicles. Each bike counts for 30 secs. If you're worried that you're too slow, or don't have the right bike, that's nonsense. I'm slower than molasses, and I'm going. There every kind of bike already entered, from a tw200 up to a 1190 adventure. If anyone wants to go, shoot me a PM.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #18805
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
Ive got a used MT-21 too. I have a brand new XCMH that I'm going to try. I'm not too thrilled with going to 80/100 vs a 90/90 for the street though. I'll just wear those out before sandblast, then I'll mount some Michelin s12's
I am running an 80/100 XCMH on the front of the 450. Put it on right before the S500 and I am very happy with it. Doesn't do anything strange on the pavement either. Matt and I went up one of the paved roads at a pretty good pace, until we ran up on a heard of BMW's, and it was as planted as you please.

Good grip on the hard packed roads and dirt as well. I was able to dive in pretty hard on the brakes and never tossed me on my head........

Cheers Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle
In that kind of deal, which I am willing to entertain, there will be stipulations. You'll have to take a few extra things with you....free of charge, of course.

1. The wife (what she lacks in income, she more than make up for in needs)
2. The children, they'll be out of diapers, some day
3. Pick a bill, any bill, I don't care.
^^^^^^^^
This is Money!
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #18806
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
In that kind of deal, which I am willing to entertain, there will be stipulations. You'll have to take a few extra things with you....free of charge, of course.

1. The wife (what she lacks in income, she more than make up for in needs)
Man I already have one just like that. Not so sure I am ready to disappoint two women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
2. The children, they'll be out of diapers, some day
They get more useful. The little one is even learning to wipe his own ass (protip: don't shake hands with him).



Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
3. Pick a bill, any bill, I don't care.

That swap still sound good?
Sounds like it would be cheaper to buy my own KTM
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #18807
poondangle
Slow
 
poondangle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
I am running an 80/100 XCMH on the front of the 450. Put it on right before the S500 and I am very happy with it. Doesn't do anything strange on the pavement either. Matt and I went up one of the paved roads at a pretty good pace, until we ran up on a heard of BMW's, and it was as planted as you please.

Good grip on the hard packed roads and dirt as well. I was able to dive in pretty hard on the brakes and never tossed me on my head........

Cheers Ken


^^^^^^^^
This is Money!
My guess is that the 4 fiddy front rim is narrower than the 690. I think I'd prefer that wider profile. Plus the 690 is way heavier that that little 'ol thing of yours. I'm sure it's quite cute, but I'm positive the 690 can out run it in 3rd gear
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #18808
Sinbad2
XRR Jockey
 
Sinbad2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia Beach USA
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
So if anyone is on the fence about sandblast, you better look at entering soon. We're up to 39 cars and 23 bikes so far. The initial allotment is for 30 cars and 50 bikes. Eventually they're going to cut the entry list off at 60 minutes worth of vehicles. Each bike counts for 30 secs. If you're worried that you're too slow, or don't have the right bike, that's nonsense. I'm slower than molasses, and I'm going. There every kind of bike already entered, from a tw200 up to a 1190 adventure. If anyone wants to go, shoot me a PM.

Sandblast?
Sinbad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #18809
poondangle
Slow
 
poondangle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad2 View Post
Sandblast?
http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com/2014/

I did my first rallymoto last year. I can't say enough good things about the experience, and I almost lost my left arm doing it, literally.

Since I have done 1 whole rally, of course I'm an expert, so shoot me a PM and I can give you the skinny. Basically, you need a NASA rally sport license and membership, then you enter the rally, all of that can be done on the NASA rally sport website. http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/ There is a "rally university" section on the website, and it gives you just about every bit of knowledge you need to be dangerous.

The only real restriction on the bike is that it has to have a tag, and be legal for the road. There are a few required items you must have at tech. (about $50 worth of stuff, a first aid kit, road triangle, flashing lights, etc.)

Every single person I met last year at Rally WV were super nice, and super helpful. The experience/fast guys were awesome and willing to do anything to help out us new guys. I'm slow. I mean real slow, and I had a blast. There is nothing more satisfying than riding all the way up to damn near 100 MPH on gravel FS roads. The average stage speed at RWV was in the 45-50MPH range. All the roads are pretty well groomed for the most part, since they also race cars on the roads.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #18810
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,795
Any and all that ride a KTM.....send your shock to Superplush.....do eet. Just got back from a little backroad/gravel blast......and . The difference is amazing. Poon-the SE would shake its head bad getting on the gas at higher speeds on gravel...........now it is stone stable. AND I was able to get on the gas earlier coming out of corners. Huge grin inducer. It seriously puts the power down now where it would spin up before. Took 3 weeks and 3 Benjamins, but well worth the wait and investment.

Next up is the ITG filter, rejetting, and the Rekluse adjustable slave cylinder......OH YEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014