ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #18841
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
No one will give me a price in advance. I think I'll take it to that place at the beach, since people have had good luck with them
Ken's proven Four Step program for figuring out any and all moto related issues:

Step 1. I have a staple gun. (must make pew-pew-pew sound)

Step 2. Bring Guinness

Step 3. We will grill animal flesh

Step 4. We will figure it out or at least have fun trying.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #18842
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Hoolikens 1st Annual Cold Weather Tech Day?

Went out for a long ride on the Buell yesterday. And one of the mother-lovin fork seals is leaking again.......

Soooooooooooooooo????

Anybody up for another Tech Day. Ordered the seals and bushings for the Buell fork yesterday. And the Mrs. would love to meet some of you.

I will supply two bay garage (with a little heat), tools, and food.

After hanging out with Nug's, the forks are pretty straight forward. But another set of hands is definitely needed during tear-down/assembly. Not sure of a date yet, but thinking a weekend in January would be cool.

If anybody is interested just give me a shout.

I have two swingarm stands, a moto/atv lift (actually two at the moment cause I still have Toms that I need to get back to him.......) and an MX stand. Torque wrenches, impacts, vacuum gauges, bearing removal/install tools, tire change stand (it works good for offroad/DS tires but would not want to use it for supersport/touring stuff. Pretty much if you need it for a moto, I have it.

Cheers Ken

hooliken screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 05:38 PM
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #18843
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 399
Hey there

Ragrvs,
Shoot me a PM and we can talk! Gotta clear you first; make sure you're not a single track-destroying quad monster with a hundred quad riding buddies that hate silencers!

Cheers,
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragrvs View Post
Hey all. I'm new to riding off road around here. Do you have a GPS track for that? Or at least the trailhead? Didn't know there was anything like that around here. When you say Oceana, you mean NAS Oceana?

Thanks! Looks like a fun ride.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #18844
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Went out for a long ride on the Buell yesterday. And one of the mother-lovin fork seals is leaking again.......

Soooooooooooooooo????

Anybody up for another Tech Day. Ordered the seals and bushings for the Buell fork yesterday. And the Mrs. would love to meet some of you.

After hanging out with Nug's, the forks are pretty straight forward. But another set of hands is definitely needed during tear-down/assembly. Not sure of a date yet, but thinking a weekend in January would be cool.

I have two swingarm stands, a moto/atv lift (actually two at the moment cause I still have Tom's that I need to get back to him.......) and an MX stand. Torque wrenches, impacts, vacuum gauges, bearing removal/install tools, tire change stand (it works good for offroad/DS tires but would not want to use it for supersport/touring stuff. Pretty much if you need it for a moto, I have it.

Cheers Ken
I'm in!
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #18845
ptownjohnny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
ncmp

dirt Viking is right I also wish ncmp was closer , we had a great time today , it was very well organized and had something for all levels . I got clipped in lawerenceville for 72 in 55 . being this is poondangles home turf , I threw is name out there and was subjected to a full cavity search . thanks poon.
ptownjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #18846
Grayjet
Ride on!

Ouch

And now, for the rest... of the story:

I am happy to report that all little dudes are back home safe and sound with a new love for riding dirt!

I, unfortunately, am typing this from a hospital wheelchair with a possible broken foot. Dang X-Ray tech wouldn't budge and tell me the news! So now I am waiting for the doc to confer with the radiologist and let me know what's what.

On the bright side, the GoPro should have caught the whole thing on video! I can't wait to see it! For the record, I totally landed that jump and did NOT crash. I just came down so hard on the mighty XR650 from a way-too-big-for-my-bike jump that I snapped something important somewhere in my foot. Me weighing 250 may have had something to do with it, but I'll never admit it! I did ride back, load up the bikes, drive home, and put the bikes to bed. Foot was still killing me, so off to the hospital I went!

I was fully geared up, by the way, and wearing A-Stars riding boots. 13 year old boots, but still holding up.

Hey, the PA just came in, and it's just a chipped bone and sprain in the arch of my foot! Nice! I didn't know you could sprain your arch.

Hope everyone else faired better than me this weekend!

Cheers,
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Headed out to Morgan's Corner Proving Grounds, formerly River City MX park, formerly Morgan's Corner MX track, to let my boys run free on their new (to them) bikes! My 8 yr old got a DRZ110 from Santa, and my 13 and 15 yr olds share a CRF230F. I'll be on my old smoky XR650L. Come on out if you you can. Only an hour south of Va Beach!

Cheers,
Lance

Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #18847
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

A little add on to my proposed tech day. Wives, kids, and dogs are more then welcome.....
Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #18848
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptownjohnny View Post
dirt Viking is right I also wish ncmp was closer , we had a great time today , it was very well organized and had something for all levels . I got clipped in lawerenceville for 72 in 55 . being this is poondangles home turf , I threw is name out there and was subjected to a full cavity search . thanks poon.

It's only rape if you didn't enjoy it.
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #18849
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:

Soooooooooooooooo????

I have two swingarm stands, a moto/atv lift (actually two at the moment cause I still have Toms that I need to get back to him.......) and an MX stand. Torque wrenches, impacts, vacuum gauges, bearing removal/install tools, tire change stand (it works good for offroad/DS tires but would not want to use it for supersport/touring stuff. Pretty much if you need it for a moto, I have it.

Cheers Ken
I am in, but before you tear those forks down again, try the film trick.

In a nutshell, you pull the dust seal down, and use a piece of thin plastic to clean any crap out of the oil seal.
http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.c...ork-seals.html
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #18850
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Wives, kids, and dogs are more then welcome.....
You're asking for it now
Old 12-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #18851
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I am in, but before you tear those forks down again, try the film trick.

In a nutshell, you pull the dust seal down, and use a piece of thin plastic to clean any crap out of the oil seal.
http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.c...ork-seals.html
Have the two different types of seal savers.........but it has lost enough oil at this point that it is a lost cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
You're asking for it now
And what could be more entertaining than trying to work on Motos with a house full of wimens and kids?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #18852
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Do any of the shops in the area have decent tire prices, or would I be better off ordering from the internet?

I'll be looking for a set of 120/80-17 (Front) and 140/80-15 (Rear)

And along the same lines, what are the best options for getting tires mounted? I would remove my wheels myself. I tried spooning the tires myself last time on this bike, but that 15" rear was a real PITA for some reason (I don't think 40 degree tires and garage helped any).
k5mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #18853
Grayjet
Ride on!

Tires

I'm all internet, and I mount my own. I would be happy to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5mitch View Post
Do any of the shops in the area have decent tire prices, or would I be better off ordering from the internet?

And along the same lines, what are the best options for getting tires mounted? I would remove my wheels myself. I tried spooning the tires myself last time on this bike, but that 15" rear was a real PITA for some reason (I don't think 40 degree tires and garage helped any).

Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #18854
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
And now, for the rest... of the story:

I am happy to report that all little dudes are back home safe and sound with a new love for riding dirt!

I, unfortunately, am typing this from a hospital wheelchair with a possible broken foot. Dang X-Ray tech wouldn't budge and tell me the news! So now I am waiting for the doc to confer with the radiologist and let me know what's what.

On the bright side, the GoPro should have caught the whole thing on video! I can't wait to see it! For the record, I totally landed that jump and did NOT crash. I just came down so hard on the mighty XR650 from a way-too-big-for-my-bike jump that I snapped something important somewhere in my foot. Me weighing 250 may have had something to do with it, but I'll never admit it! I did ride back, load up the bikes, drive home, and put the bikes to bed. Foot was still killing me, so off to the hospital I went!

I was fully geared up, by the way, and wearing A-Stars riding boots. 13 year old boots, but still holding up.

Hey, the PA just came in, and it's just a chipped bone and sprain in the arch of my foot! Nice! I didn't know you could sprain your arch.

Hope everyone else faired better than me this weekend!

Cheers,
Lance
Sucks to hear that Lance. Kinda surprised that happened with just a regular jump. Was it a double? Triple? Hopefully, the weather will be crappy while your foot heals. GWS!

Jon
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #18855
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5mitch View Post

Call Cycle World at 757-499-4146. Tell them youre part of a local off road group with Matt Lamb and that I said we'd offer you our best price. Not sure what kind of pricing youll get but give it a shot.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote