ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #18886
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmeister View Post
So I finally tricked the damned route into a GPX FILE. Click the link if you're so inclined. It was way more involved than just "converting" but at least I don't feel so old anymore.

With that being said, who wants to go ride it this weekend?

Can't 100% commit but you guys are going to be in my backyard. Is it a big bike or a small bike ride? Please keep me posted. Thanks AB:-)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #18887
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,278
Defarkled and back on the market if anyone knows somebody interested.

It's been a great bike.

Bike has 58k on it but the seat is brand new and the suspension just came off a bike with 10k on it in trade for my aftermarket suspension plus cash.

$4900

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #18888
msgvb

Oddometer: 272
New Year's Day Ride?

Hey guys, what's the skinny on the New Year's Day ride this year?
just gave a quick scan, maybe missed the link somewhere. or this is like that time my parents left me at a rest area on summer vacation and changed their number and moved with no fwd'ing address...
Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #18889
TCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
NYD Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgvb View Post
just gave a quick scan, maybe missed the link somewhere. or this is like that time my parents left me at a rest area on summer vacation and changed their number and moved with no fwd'ing address...
Here you go:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=940805&page=2
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #18890
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmeister View Post

With that being said, who wants to go ride it this weekend?

I'll be back in Ivy tomorrow (6 miles west of Cville). I'm happy to have folks meet up at my place that want to do this ride. I need to look at the route more closely but I just put the GS back together last week before I came to VB for the holidays so I'm eager to take her out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #18891
Tidewater KLR
High Speed Hiker

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgvb View Post
Come on out and Ride Man! It's a fun route this year, with a good mix of paved roads. No Dirt, but I expect some crap in the road from the wind we've had.

Meet at the WaWa on Holland Rd, Kickstands up at 9am. We'll be passing Northwest River Park about 30 minutes later, then passing through ECity about 10:20, followed by a fun section up to Suffolk and the CB at Portsmouth Blvd.

TKLR
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
"A motorcycle in the garage is safe, but that is not what it is made for"
Photo library at http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Tumbleweed7/
Tidewater KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #18892
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
So I'll relay an anecdote, that's all this is, an anecdote, nothing more....

I typically buy tires online. The other day, I was reading about the new Metzler MCE six days extreme tire. It looks pretty good to me. The front comes in 2 compounds. I want the soft compound. I can only find the hard compound online. I figured this is the perfect opportunity for the local places to shine. Online is great, but when I need to get something specialized, or need to ask questions, a real live human being is the way to go. Because of Matt, the first place I call is Cycle World. I really think the girl on the parts counter thought I was speaking Klingon or something. First I was told they don't carry the tire. Well, I expected that. I ask can you order it. She pauses and says yes. I ask, can you please verify it is the soft front, not the hard front. She pauses again, and says she doesn't know.....then she tells me there is only one compound. No, I say, the rear only has one, but the front has two. She asked me why I wanted the soft, to which I reply, for riding in sand and soft conditions. She replies "you ride in sand?". Well, I see where this is headed. Then she comes back and says she read the product description on the front, and it's the hard. I then ask her to go ahead and give me the price on those two tires, just for comparisons sake. She quoted me list price, which is $50 more than anywhere else online.

That prompted me to call Revzilla. They're pretty famous for exceptional customer service. The parts dude said he didn't know about the compounds, so he would call me back. He did, a few minutes later, and told me the softs aren't in the States yet, but once they were, he'd be happy to get one special ordered for me. He also offered to match any online price.
That's been my experience there as well. I gave them a few chances a couple years ago and haven't been back since. I only use Revzilla now, they are the best IMHO, I don't even look anywhere else anymore, just order from them.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #18893
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
That's been my experience there as well. I gave them a few chances a couple years ago and haven't been back since. I only use Revzilla now, they are the best IMHO, I don't even look anywhere else anymore, just order from them.
I've had good luck at revzilla and motorcycle superstore. Revzilla's cash rewards program is a bit better that motorcycle superstore. I really only look at those two as well
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #18894
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,278
Anybody need a small free tv for their garage? 19 or 21" diag maybe? Only string attached is you need to pick it up in a day or two or it goes on the craigslist free to good home section.

We are doing some spring cleaning early.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #18895
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
The weekend is rapidly approaching and I'm itching to get some mud on my KLR. A few of you voiced some interest, are we going to make this happen or what? Post up or PM me if you're interested.

I hate waking up balls-early so, personally, I'd want to go down Friday night and stay somewhere (anywhere) close and do kickstands up NLT 9ish.

Also, that whole route is like 180 miles. I've never really tracked mileage vs time in the dirt but is the whole thing doable in a day or would we have to cut the route off a little shorter?

-DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chxbchsailor View Post
I'll be back in Ivy tomorrow (6 miles west of Cville). I'm happy to have folks meet up at my place that want to do this ride. I need to look at the route more closely but I just put the GS back together last week before I came to VB for the holidays so I'm eager to take her out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #18896
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
That route is doable in a day, but you guys might want to check the weather out there for this weekend...... Looking like some snow.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #18897
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
Those are my 2 go-to as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
I've had good luck at revzilla and motorcycle superstore. Revzilla's cash rewards program is a bit better that motorcycle superstore. I really only look at those two as well
Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #18898
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I don't see any snow on the forecast but I do see some night temperatures in the teens. Glad I just bought my heated gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
That route is doable in a day, but you guys might want to check the weather out there for this weekend...... Looking like some snow.

Ah wish I had the money just sitting around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Defarkled and back on the market if anyone knows somebody interested.

It's been a great bike.

Bike has 58k on it but the seat is brand new and the suspension just came off a bike with 10k on it in trade for my aftermarket suspension plus cash.

$4900
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #18899
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,181
positive dealership experience alert

So I celebrated new years by changing a front tire. I started at 10AM. By 111AM, I was ready to use language my mother wouldn't be proud of. By Noon, I WAS using language most sailors would be ashamed of. By 1PM, I was ready to buy a new wheel and tire. By 4PM, I was ready to sell the whole bike.

I could not get the bead to seat on my front. No matter what I did, I just couldn't get the bead to seat. I went through a gallon of windex. I broke the bead numerous times. I heated the tire by the fireplace. I took the tire off and put it back on the rim twice. I even resorted to whispering sweet nothings to the damn thing. It just wasn't my day.

Last night, I gave up, I called no joy. My wife was upset, she thought she was minutes from cashing in my life insurance due to an aneurysm.

Well, I work a stone's throw from Honda of Norfolk. So I gave in and took the tire there. He got the bead seated for me. When I asked how much pressure he put on the tire, his response was "it was going to go, or it was going to blow." Good enough for me. Well, he only charged me $16.00 That's well worth the price of my sanity!!
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #18900
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,613
Cory, Bob and Chad you guys might love this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d?ref=category
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote