ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #19051
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
So you would clear coat your rims so you could use dish washing liquid instead of tire lube? I will buy you a beer and let you explain that one to me some time. AB:-)
I used liquid soap will you buy me a beer
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #19052
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Did you clear coat you wheels 1rst or are you living on the edge? And yes I have some PBR I will share with both of ya! Oh by the way Rema tip top mounting paste is the choice of the pros. AB
Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #19053
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
So you would clear coat your rims so you could use dish washing liquid instead of tire lube? I will buy you a beer and let you explain that one to me some time. AB:-)
I guess I got lucky. When I removed the stock tires on the Sega back in 1985 it looked like there was clear coat missing. So I always cleaned the residue off and shot some clear coat on the beads. Let it sit overnight then mounted the wheels. I did know know about tire lube back in prehistoric times before the internet.

He but I have tried the transmission fluid and acetone mix and on corroded steel PB Blaster is better.

Wait that was another thread.

I also pry the seals off my wheel bearing and stuff in more grease. Then put back the seals. Not supposed to because too much grease increases the pressure and is bad. But then these are no double sealed and eventually the hub may be packed with grease.

Why not drink beer brewed by an American company and not one brewed by a South African Company under contract. A good Va beer.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 05:08 PM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #19054
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Went out for a long ride on the Buell yesterday. And one of the mother-lovin fork seals is leaking again.......

Soooooooooooooooo????

Anybody up for another Tech Day. Ordered the seals and bushings for the Buell fork yesterday. And the Mrs. would love to meet some of you.

I will supply two bay garage (with a little heat), tools, and food.

After hanging out with Nug's, the forks are pretty straight forward. But another set of hands is definitely needed during tear-down/assembly. Not sure of a date yet, but thinking a weekend in January would be cool.

If anybody is interested just give me a shout.

I have two swingarm stands, a moto/atv lift (actually two at the moment cause I still have Toms that I need to get back to him.......) and an MX stand. Torque wrenches, impacts, vacuum gauges, bearing removal/install tools, tire change stand (it works good for offroad/DS tires but would not want to use it for supersport/touring stuff. Pretty much if you need it for a moto, I have it.

Cheers Ken
So, did I miss the invitation here? Should I be getting a complex? I was under the impression that a beer drinking opportunity (I mean maintenance opportunity) was imminate. Plus, i need to change the oil in the KTM and the BMW. I need to swap tail lights on the KTM, new signals, install LED lights, and figure out how to get some vinyl off it.....

Hey, misery loves company! Besides, I bet you already have a bunch of that expensive Motorex 10w-60
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #19055
ChildlikeWonder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #19056
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Admittedly, I thought about it this morning but just couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
deejmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #19057
ChildlikeWonder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmeister View Post
Admittedly, I thought about it this morning but just couldn't do it.
It was fun just to do it, and there's no better way to learn throttle control, but with my Tourance tires even at 19psi there was no way I was going over 30 on an unplowed surface.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #19058
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
It was fun just to do it, and there's no better way to learn throttle control, but with my Tourance tires even at 19psi there was no way I was going over 30 on an unplowed surface.
I was honestly thinking about you the whole way in this AM.

It sucked in a car, and I could feel my wheels spinning out.

Hats off to you.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #19059
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
So, did I miss the invitation here? Should I be getting a complex? I was under the impression that a beer drinking opportunity (I mean maintenance opportunity) was imminate. Plus, i need to change the oil in the KTM and the BMW. I need to swap tail lights on the KTM, new signals, install LED lights, and figure out how to get some vinyl off it.....

Hey, misery loves company! Besides, I bet you already have a bunch of that expensive Motorex 10w-60

No worries man. Needed to take the 950 down for winter maintenance so went ahead and did the XB fork seal. Still have plenty to do and am still planning on hosting a tech day, with management approval of course.
And no Motorex for this guy. I generally run Amsoil Diesel synthetic or Rotella T synth. Sometimes Motul Ester synth when it's on sale :)
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #19060
poondangle
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
No worries man. Needed to take the 950 down for winter maintenance so went ahead and did the XB fork seal. Still have plenty to do and am still planning on hosting a tech day, with management approval of course.
And no Motorex for this guy. I generally run Amsoil Diesel synthetic or Rotella T synth. Sometimes Motul Ester synth when it's on sale :)
Well, if you can't man up and take control of your garage (or the pout house, as it's called in MY, and her, house). I guess we can clear some space out here.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #19061
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,545
Excellent ride report video:

Offroadpeople: Mongolia 2013 from grom1300 on Vimeo.

From this ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946704
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #19062
poondangle
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Excellent ride report video:

Offroadpeople: Mongolia 2013 from grom1300 on Vimeo.

From this ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946704
I've said it hundreds of times, the Cold War had nothing to do with politics. It's was about keeping American men away from Russian women!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #19063
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

I saw Shannon today. He is getting around great but is getting out of motorcycling. He does not want to risk another hit. He offered me his bikes. I bought his DR. Hope I can take as good care of it as he has. I have a few things to fix. Now he is getting ready to sell his new Vstrom 650. It only has 2,500 miles. Here are a few pictures. Shannon asked me to post them. If anyone is interested send him a PM. PM me for more pictures. It has marine stablizer in the tank and the battery is disconnected.

The DR will be back on the road in a few months.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 08:46 AM
Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #19064
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,066
Mixed emotions hearing that.

Sad, cause I know how he loved to ride. Glad cause I know how much he loves his family and that he'll be safer. A little introspective about how I feel selfish sometimes riding like I do when I have a family that I could devastate with hospital bills or me just being gone.

Shannon talked about do some fishing as a new hobby. I hope some of the bike money goes towards a fly rod or something.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #19065
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Kayak fishing sounds good. He is a Navy guy. His grand kids are small. He can chase them around. A lot of the activities we participate are risky. Some greater than others. We just have to constantly asses the risks and hope we and others make the correct choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Mixed emotions hearing that.

Sad, cause I know how he loved to ride. Glad cause I know how much he loves his family and that he'll be safer. A little introspective about how I feel selfish sometimes riding like I do when I have a family that I could devastate with hospital bills or me just being gone.

Shannon talked about do some fishing as a new hobby. I hope some of the bike money goes towards a fly rod or something.

Wee Strommin along.