ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #19066
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Kayak fishing sounds good. He is a Navy guy. His grand kids are small. He can chase them around. A lot of the activities we participate are risky. Some greater than others. We just have to constantly asses the risks and hope we and others make the correct choices.

Yep, we talked about that. Told him he is free to take my yak out anytime if he wants to give it a try.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #19067
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,842
Ditto this sentiment....

Wouldn't be an easy decision for me, but the thought comes up off and on.

Maybe I'll try to drag him out for some fly fishing! As soon as the Polar things departs our area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Mixed emotions hearing that.

Sad, cause I know how he loved to ride. Glad cause I know how much he loves his family and that he'll be safer. A little introspective about how I feel selfish sometimes riding like I do when I have a family that I could devastate with hospital bills or me just being gone.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #19068
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,015
My wife and I discussed it after my hospital stay. I know she doesn't want me to ride, but she knows it's a quality of life issue for me as much as anything. I don't have the patients to fish, or play golf. (I couldn't play golf now, even if I wanted too, my arm won't ever move that far again) I ride, that's what I do. It's pretty funny, we had the same discussion with Hooliken and his beautiful bride. She relayed the story of when Ken got knocked on the head pretty good. I think her exact words were "if I made him stop riding, he'd probably take up another stupid high risk activity like skydiving".

Now, I fully respect anyone's decision to call it quits. His wreck was way more serious than mine. I hope Shannon stays active in the community though. One very big reason I still ride is the people. Motorcyclist, I have found, are generally some of the best people to be around. I only met Shannon once, at an RTE at Jebs, and I can say he's a super nice dude. We'd all be better off if he stays active on the board!
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #19069
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,015
Speaking of an RTE, we need to do another one of those!!! Anyone interested? I suggest either Norfolf or Hampton, that way everyone from these far flung places have a central spot to meet at. Anyone????
poondangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #19070
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
Wouldn't be an easy decision for me, but the thought comes up off and on.

Maybe I'll try to drag him out for some fly fishing! As soon as the Polar things departs our area!
I snagged a few rainbows in the upper Peddler last week, but im just one of those spinner rod and trout magnet guys! AB:-)
Old 01-25-2014, 05:43 AM   #19071
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,842
Brookies were active last weekend in Amherst...

Even with a high of 32, it was fun. I spent a full day fly fishing Buffalo Creek in Lexington last March and it never got over 28F all day. Started snowing at about 4pm. The big rainbows made it all worthwhile, there are some big fish in that river. Hope to hit it in two weeks.

I feel very fortunate to have a camp up your way, it's a great break from 'city life' down here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
I snagged a few rainbows in the upper Peddler last week, but im just one of those spinner rod and trout magnet guys! AB:-)

MGB screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 05:53 AM
MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #19072
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Some of the best fishing is when you have to blow the ice out of the eyelets of your rod each time so you can cast! AB:-)
Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #19073
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Wicked Thanks

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts all.
I've had discussions many times about what I would do if I was ever in a bad crash. Riding 20-25k miles a yr for many yrs the thought has came up. I always thought I would probably stay with riding. After my 6 week hospital stay, 4.5 weeks of that I can't remember, and all the therapy I'm going through now, it is with sadness that I give up riding for now. I'm doing really well considering the wreck I had. My neuropsychologist and neurosurgeon are very pleased and surprised with the progress that I've made considering that they said my TBI was pretty severe.

I want to thank each of you for all you guys have done for me. This has made my recovery much better! Mike(biker128peal) thanks for taking the DR, that has been the best bike I've ever owned.

When I'm mentally more able, I've got some gear that I will be putting up for sale. A summer and a winter jacket(XL) and three pair of riding pants. An alter ego(joe rocket). a First Gear, Mesh-Tech, and a HT overpant(XL waist all of these pants are for short inseam) a pair of Sidi size 10 boots.

Thanks again everyone!

dljocky screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:29 AM
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #19074
m149307
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
50cc scooter

Anyone know where I could find a 50cc scooter? (Sorry if this is not the right topic to post in.) I live in the Norfolk area.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #19075
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
I fully respect and understand your decision. Family is more important than hobby, and we need to be reminded of that once in a while.

You, sir, are a good man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts all.
I've had discussions many times about what I would do if I was ever in a bad crash. Riding 20-25k miles a yr for many yrs the thought has came up. I always thought I would probably stay with riding. After my 6 week hospital stay, 4.5 weeks of that I can't remember, and all the therapy I'm going through now, it is with sadness that I give up riding for now. I'm doing really well considering the wreck I had. My neuropsychologist and neurosurgeon are very pleased and surprised with the progress that I've made considering that they said my TBI was pretty severe.

I want to thank each of you for all you guys have done for me. This has made my recovery much better! Mike(biker128peal) thanks for taking the DR, that has been the best bike I've ever owned.

When I'm mentally more able, I've got some gear that I will be putting up for sale. A summer and a winter jacket(XL) and three pair of riding pants. An alter ego(joe rocket). a First Gear, Mesh-Tech, and a HT overpant(XL waist all of these pants are for short inseam) a pair of Sidi size 10 boots.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #19076
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldman View Post
i fully respect and understand your decision. Family is more important than hobby, and we need to be reminded of that once in a while.

You, sir, are a good man.
1+ ab
Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #19077
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by m149307 View Post
Anyone know where I could find a 50cc scooter? (Sorry if this is not the right topic to post in.) I live in the Norfolk area.
Cycle World in Virginia Beach has some brand new Zumas. Keep in mind that theyre not that cheap lol. But theyre the best made scooter and get 120MPGs.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #19078
m149307
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
How much are they? I could possibly go 2k, but that is pushing it.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #19079
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
From post above. I'm going to wait a week or two before I list these items on Fleamarket for sale, but if anyone local is interested, shoot me a pm.
Thanks

I've got some gear that I will be putting up for sale. A summer and a winter jacket(XL) and three pair of riding pants. An alter ego(joe rocket). a First Gear, Mesh-Tech, and a HT overpant(XL waist all of these pants are for short inseam) a pair of Sidi size 10 boots.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #19080
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by m149307 View Post
How much are they? I could possibly go 2k, but that is pushing it.
I think retail is like $2500. Call 499-4146 and ask for Dave Greer. Tell him you know Matt Lamb and that I referred you to him. I think theres only a few hundred dollars in mark up on these things so not sure how big of a discount you could get.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote