ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #19471
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Could anyone give me a good rundown of scenic (pavement only) rides and destinations in the area? I was really spoiled back in Christiansburg.

I'm a big fan of 1/2-to-full day RTE, touring old byways, historic landmarks, etc.

I'm somewhat familiar with the peninsula already, I've visited family in the area for a long time, so I'm already familiar with staples like the parkway, Yorktown, and the bay bridge tunnel.
k5mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #19472
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5mitch View Post
Could anyone give me a good rundown of scenic (pavement only) rides and destinations in the area? I was really spoiled back in Christiansburg.

I'm a big fan of 1/2-to-full day RTE, touring old byways, historic landmarks, etc.

I'm somewhat familiar with the peninsula already, I've visited family in the area for a long time, so I'm already familiar with staples like the parkway, Yorktown, and the bay bridge tunnel.
There isn't anything really. This is a route I took a girl on who was new to the area and hating it. She seemed to really enjoy it and not much later we started going out, so I guess it must be pretty nice.
http://goo.gl/maps/OVVtJ
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #19473
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:

I think that heading out by York River State Park in James City out the back roads to Route 14 (outside of West point) is a great ride. There are plenty of amusing roads out that way even if they aren't as good as the roads in the mountains. You could probably head out to Tappahanock for a RTE and have a full afternoon's ride.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #19474
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,762
Quote:

The hard part about Tidewater is getting out of the urban areas. There are some back roads and places. Check out the Tidewater and Williamsburg tag threads. Some of the tags are good RTE spots. Northern Neck Burger Company up in Kilmarnock is good. The chocolate volcano cake and apple tart are excellent. You can ride some of the back roads off of 14 and 17. Then there is Merry Point Ferry. Circle though Kilmarnock then ride The Trail or between The Trail and Dragon Run. Cut over at West Point then side roads home. Or part of the way home until suburbia creeps in.

South side there are some good roads off the beaten path and the obligatory James River ferry. I use Basecamp and mark way points for my GPS.

An. RTE to Kilmarnock would be good. The Southern Marylanders sneak in there every once in awhile. Good for a meet up.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #19475
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Quote:

South on Princess Ann in Virginia Beach all the way through Pungo to Knotts Island, ferry across to Currituck. From there you can keep going south a ways or loop back north through Chesapeake. Good backroads through Blackwater towards the Old Pungo Ferry too.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #19476
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
If you live in Grafton, stay to the north, forget about southside, nothing but sprawl, congestion, and summer tourist traffic. There's lots of good riding on the Northern Neck, rt. 14 and rt.3 to name a couple. Rt. 14 gets pretty crooked heading north. Rt. 3 has a couple of good historical sites. There's Stratford Hall (birthplace of Robert E. Lee), and up the road a little bit is the George Washington Birthplace National Monument.

Another ride I recommend is, take the Jamestown Ferry across and pick up rt. 10 west. Take that to just about Hopewell, Take a right at the light on rt. 106. You'll cross the river and come to rt. 5. Take 5 east and it will take you right back to Williamsburg. We call that the nickel dime ride. Rt. 5 has lots of old plantations to check out and t's a very good road. Have fun and be safe.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #19477
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
If you live in Grafton, stay to the north, forget about southside, nothing but sprawl, congestion, and summer tourist traffic. There's lots of good riding on the Northern Neck, rt. 14 and rt.3 to name a couple. Rt. 14 gets pretty crooked heading north. Rt. 3 has a couple of good historical sites. There's Stratford Hall (birthplace of Robert E. Lee), and up the road a little bit is the George Washington Birthplace National Monument.

Another ride I recommend is, take the Jamestown Ferry across and pick up rt. 10 west. Take that to just about Hopewell, Take a right at the light on rt. 106. You'll cross the river and come to rt. 5. Take 5 east and it will take you right back to Williamsburg. We call that the nickel dime ride. Rt. 5 has lots of old plantations to check out and t's a very good road. Have fun and be safe.
There are a lot of interesting backroads on both sides of Rt 10. A lot of history in this area and some of the back roads will surprise you. Since moving here I generally just pick a secondary road and go. If you do not already have one, grab a VA Gazateer. Shows many of the secondaries.

Cheers Ken
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #19478
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic

Oddometer: 630
Just spreading the word for an ADV brother and Vet, as you guys are pursuing the ads way more than me, keep an eye out for these stolen bikes from Roanoke....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post23670441
Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #19479
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 384
After at least 7 years of Drooling, Pick this up this past Saturday

Dreams do come true.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #19480
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
After at least 7 years of Drooling, Pick this up this past Saturday

Dreams do come true.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #19481
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic

Oddometer: 630
Super Sweet Sam!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #19482
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 384
Thanks Guys, Now to rejoin the Tag game
Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #19483
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
Thanks Guys, Now to rejoin the Tag game

You guys get together and play Tag? Talk about feeling left out......

That is a beautiful bike man. On the short list for a possible Buell replacement, if I decide to replace the Buell. With the new LC motor you are starting to see basically unused late model examples on the cheap.

Cheers Ken
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #19484
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,081
weekend riding

OK, this coming weekend could possibly be my last riding until early June. The baby could drop at any minute and the wife will probably put me on local lockdown starting Monday. I know, I don't get it either, I was there for the first one, I don't need to see it again, but women being women, you gotta keep 'em happy. Then another surgery coming in early May. all this stuff is putting a real dent in my riding schedule. Anybody want to go play in the mud this weekend?
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #19485
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,762
I drank the Kook Aid and got a BMW. A new model.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote