ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #19651
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Buell sold to the first person that came and looked at it.

Now I need Cheap transport for 16 y/o baby girl who will soon be set free on the highways of the greater Hampton Roads area.

Looking for something cheap, safe, cheap, 4cyl, cheap, auto, cheap........if you know anybody that has anything that fits that description send em my way.

Cheers Ken
Good luck with that! I recently went through those hoops to replace a car my daughter totaled (not her fault ). I got tired of the weeks of CL bullshit/lies. I finally found a nice 06 KIA Spectra, auto, 4dr,,,reliable & simple
Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 AM   #19652
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:

Now I need Cheap transport for 16 y/o baby girl who will soon be set free on the highways of the greater Hampton Roads area.

Looking for something cheap, safe, cheap, 4cyl, cheap, auto, cheap........if you know anybody that has anything that fits that description send em my way.

Cheers Ken

I saw this at Farm Fresh yesterday. Whatever you find, you might want one of these

poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #19653
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:

Cheers Ken
I would say CTX700, but you insist on 4 cylinders.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #19654
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 389
same same

I am in the same boat: my 15 1/2 year old just got his permit. I ended up going with a 2001 4Runner I found through autotrader. Not exactly cheap, but I wanted something with airbags (my '95 4Runner, which I was going to give him, does not have airbags), big enough to take the brunt of a fender bender, and with enough cargo room to haul him, his buddies, and all their sports crap around.

Reliable, cheap, and safe... pick any 2!

Lance

Quote:

Cheers Ken

Putting miles on the tires!

Grayjet screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 07:20 AM
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #19655
moymurfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
I am in the same boat: my 15 1/2 year old just got his permit. I ended up going with a 2001 4Runner I found through autotrader. Not exactly cheap, but I wanted something with airbags (my '95 4Runner, which I was going to give him, does not have airbags), big enough to take the brunt of a fender bender, and with enough cargo room to haul him, his buddies, and all their sports crap around. Reliable, cheap, and safe... pick any 2!

Lance
Yea, that's a good idea/score. I just finished transplanting the engine and drivetrain from my uncle's 98 Nissan Pathfinder into another. A week after my daughter totaled the Focus my son whacked a deer and pretty much totaled his(my) Ranger. I quickly found out he stopped asking to borrow the van to beebop around with his friends since the Pathfinder had plenty of room.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #19656
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
What ever happened to learning to drive in a small, underpowered rustbucket?

"Here you go, junior. Don't drive like sh-- and you won't die."

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #19657
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post

Much cheaper to replace a car than a kid...
Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #19658
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:

That's what I am going for, without the rustbucket part....

Do you know what a PITA it is to find a decent car in this area for $5000? CL it ate up with douche-nozzles, and the used car dealers are comical at best.
CL is like this:
1. Half the ad is misspelled.
2. They put call only or text only, then fail to put a phone number?
3. The description is "Good kar, low mylage yo."
4. It ONLY needs, timing belt, tires, tune up, a gas tank, one fender, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah............
5. Second gear works sometimes
6. Or my personal favorite. Never given me any issues, only had to replace the motor, transmission, alternator, starter................

Is there an ADV site for cars? Have bought and sold several moto's on here and never had any problems at all.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #19659
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 389
too true

Man, I hear you! That's why I ultimately abandoned my $2K - $3K concept and just bit the bullet on the '01 4Runner. Plus, I am the one driving it around until he gets his real license, since I think I spun a bearing on the '95. Everybody wins... except my wallet.

Say, anyone have an ace mechanic that they would trust to do a full engine swap?

Cheers,
Lance

Quote:

Do you know what a PITA it is to find a decent car in this area for $5000? CL it ate up with douche-nozzles, and the used car dealers are comical at best.
CL is like this:
4. It ONLY needs, timing belt, tires, tune up, a gas tank, one fender, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah............
6. Or my personal favorite. Never given me any issues, only had to replace the motor, transmission, alternator, starter................

Is there an ADV site for cars? Have bought and sold several moto's on here and never had any problems at all.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #19660
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Man, I hear you! That's why I ultimately abandoned my $2K - $3K concept
Unless you get lucky in finding a senior citizen who has decided to give up driving, the days of "cherry" $2-3k cars are gone. Sign of the times, people driving cars forever if they can. I've had an '00 Volvo S40 for the last 8 years, gone from me to my oldest son, to my youngest son, now back to me (since change of employment no longer includes company car). You'll get those keys from my cold dead hands. Runs fine with 150k miles on the odo, maintenance and occasional repairs are not hellacious, and I am (obviously) not a slave to fashion.

Besides, since the image of some grey haired guy in a fast sports car or over-sized truck is that he is compensating for something "lacking", what'll the babes think when you pull up in a 14 year old p.o.s.?
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #19661
Hecate
n00b

Oddometer: 8
New to Adventure

Hello, all! A kindly soul flagged me on my ride in to work yesterday and told me to check out this site. I'm just getting in to adventure riding and don't have any off-road experience, any pointers on good backroads in the Tidewater area to ride to ease in to it?
Hecate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #19662
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,863
Head west young man!

You'll hear this alot, 3 hours west and you're into the fun stuff. Some folks find some places to ride around here, I have not tried them out.

With the weather for this weekend looking excellent, I'd expect to see a bunch of local headed that way - I know I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Hello, all! A kindly soul flagged me on my ride in to work yesterday and told me to check out this site. I'm just getting in to adventure riding and don't have any off-road experience, any pointers on good backroads in the Tidewater area to ride to ease in to it?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #19663
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,863
What ever happened to kids buying their own car?

All my comment shows is how old I am and how many kids were in my (mililtary) family.

My lawn mowing and high school jobs money got me through my first jon boat, first dirt bike, and first car (1971 MGB, perfect for an 18 year old living in Florida and working at the beach - safe choice, probably not, but I survived and so has the car).

Quote:

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #19664
moymurfs

Quote:

When was that? I learned to drive in a 69 Ford Fairlane station wagon....no power anything...........EXCEPT the motor When 295 (around Richmond) was just finished I got her up to 119 before I said to myself "Self! Now your just stupid! It's time to bring it back down and keep it there"

moymurfs screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 10:43 AM
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #19665
moymurfs

Quote:

CL is like this:

Not to mention...3/4 of the ads are frickin' used car dealers that post in the owners only section BUT, it was one of these that I found a decent ride at. After I test drove it etc..I simply told him the most I was going to pay. He could do what he wanted with the numbers on his paperwork tax tags BS BS BS whatever, but I wasn't spending a penny over "X".