ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #19996
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Tenerailering
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #19997
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Fyi

Elbow Road Bridge Temporarily Closed for Emergency Repairs

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – May 28, 2014 – As of 2:30 p.m., today, Virginia Beach Public Works has closed the Elbow Road Bridge (between Salem Road and Round Hill Drive) due to corrosion of a structural member that has reduced its load capacity.
The bridge will remain closed to traffic until repairs can be made. Traffic will be detoured and maps that show the detour routes will be posted on the Virginia Beach Public Works Department’s web page at: www.vbgov.com/publicworks as soon as they become available.
The repairs to the bridge are currently being developed, and the city’s contractor will start repairs as soon as materials and conditions allow for work to begin (i.e. weather). It is unknown at this time how long the bridge will be out of service. Current estimate of length of closure is five to seven days. Additional information will be distributed as it becomes available.
This road closure is likely to produce traffic delays, congestion and some construction noise. Advanced warning and detour signs will be clearly posted advising motorists of the road closure and detour route. Citizens are urged to schedule their commutes accordingly to avoid delays.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #19998
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater KLR View Post
Back from a weeklong trip to Deals Gap, Nashville and Conway AR. Did my SS1K run on the way back, putting the IBA application together today. 1080 miles in 17hrs.... on the VStrom with a big thanks to my excellent Corbin seat.

So when we getting together for a dinner? Sandbridge Pizza on a weeknight maybe?

TKLR

Very nice riding out there. Def. up for a RTE.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #19999
TCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Bmw

Spotted a nice old BMW in Sicily the other day.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #20000
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Hey all,
So there I was... riding/camping solo around VA33 on the VA/WV border. Damn it's pretty out there!

Camped here:

Then, inevitably, I took a turn too fast, slid, fishtailed, lowsided it, and spun it around into a ditch. Good times!

Unfortunately, this took out the rear brake. You can see that the rod coming out of the clevis joint is no longer attached to the rear master cylinder. I sheared the bold that holds the pedal down and keeps the rod in the rubber boot.

I jerry rigged a solution, but I didn't trust it on the rocky stuff, so I rode it back home. All's well that ends well!
If you would of let a brother know you where going, you might of, at least, had someone to laugh at you...........
Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #20001
xyloworx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Grayjet

ADVENTURE!! Awesome. How's the foot?
xyloworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #20002
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 396
Hey, everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Yep that is my neck of the woods.

I was riding around much of the same area. If you saw a Tenere pulling a trailer, that was me.
I must have missed you, BE. You are living right if that's your neck o' the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
If you would of let a brother know you where going, you might of, at least, had someone to laugh at you...........
Haha! You are correct, sir! Next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyloworx View Post
ADVENTURE!! Awesome. How's the foot?
Hey, Bob! The foot still sucks. I just saw the doc today, and they think I may need arthroscopic surgery to remove suspected scar tissue that keeps causing pain when I walk. They shot it up full of lidocaine and steroids today, and it reduced the pain a good bit, but that is only a temporary solution. I can operate the rear brake just fine, but it is hard to stand on the pegs, and the occasional foot dab is downright painful. I really want to ride the Shen500 this year, so the timing of the procedure will be key.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #20003
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,223
I give you the reserved parking at the Brunswick county courthouse

I have no idea where the "staff" is supposed to park. I grew up in Brunswick county, so now you can understand the stoopid in me is deep, its tradition.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #20004
hellmouth
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey guys, new to the forum. Where is a good place to ride in the Virginia Beach area? I'm new to the area. I have an XR650L and I'd like to get some time in the dirt legally.
hellmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #20005
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Which one of you lives in the apartments at City Center at Oyster Point and owns the GSA?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #20006
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
New center stand on the Dakar. Should make most things easier.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #20007
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 396
Welcome!

Hello, Hell-mouth. I must compliment you on your choice of the mighty and venerable XRL! They are fine machines with many easy modifications to wake them up. Dave's mods and smog octopus delete are a must in my book.

So I gotta ask, why 'Hellmouth'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmouth View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum. Where is a good place to ride in the Virginia Beach area? I'm new to the area. I have an XR650L and I'd like to get some time in the dirt legally.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #20008
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,842
Sun Shade

I had been looking for months but found a static cling sun shield. I did not know pilots can slap a sheet of this on the window to cut down on the sun. I had a strip for years and lost it. $6 to $9 on Amazon. Also available at pilot supplies in sheet of 9" x 12"

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #20009
Dboy11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Representing thenxr650l crowd here!!!!! Dam neck
Dboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #20010
hellmouth
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Hello, Hell-mouth. I must compliment you on your choice of the mighty and venerable XRL! They are fine machines with many easy modifications to wake them up. Dave's mods and smog octopus delete are a must in my book.

So I gotta ask, why 'Hellmouth'?
Thanks for the welcome. Not really sure why I chose this username.. I guess I thought it was cool at the time. My XR has been d smogged,de snorkeled, uni hi flo air filter and DG O series exhaust (neighbors probably hate me). Love the bike, I enjoy riding it much more than my sportbike these days.
hellmouth is offline   Reply With Quote