ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #20356
okennon
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Surprising and damn flat Suffolk
Oddometer: 61
Sherando Lake 29-31

Anyone going up to this? For those not familiar Richmond BMW group sponsors a weekend campout/get together. For $40 they feed you well, supply coffee in the mornings. And goodness knows they are anything but bike prudes. It's well organized and attended. No reservations required.. you just pay when you get there. Full campground facilities.
Beware of bears and lockup your food and 'candy'.
okennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #20357
moymurfs
....................
 
moymurfs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Northeast NC
Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by okennon View Post
Anyone going up to this? For those not familiar Richmond BMW group sponsors a weekend campout/get together. For $40 they feed you well, supply coffee in the mornings. And goodness knows they are anything but bike prudes. It's well organized and attended. No reservations required.. you just pay when you get there. Full campground facilities.
Beware of bears and lockup your food and 'candy'.
Sheraindo ...The yearly rain deluge is completely free
__________________
Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #20358
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic
 
stoked steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 651
About two weeks ago me and the Misses took a nice ride down to Coinjock via the Currituck ferry for lunch at Crabbie's and met a really nice older gentleman on a BMW R1100RT at the ferry dock, David I believe was his name, complete with IBA stickers and a very faded Aerostich riding suit. We chatted quite a bit during the ride and he asked if we knew about the Sherando BMW get together. Ironically we were going camping the next weekend at Lake Sherando, one of our favorite places to camp.

He also called it Sheraindo as it always rains up there. True to name we got dumped on when we arrived, it was beautiful while we were there and we got dumped on again the last night and the next morning packing up, always fun!

Still, it's a great place and we'll be back. But probably won't make the BMW gig as that's the last weekend before school starts and we have to wrap up the summer with the kids.

On the Currituck Ferry




Camp Donlan at Sherando after the set-up rain subsided...really awesome sites with flat, graded crushed rock/sand that drains really well and is clean. Simple bathrooms nearby and nicer bathouses with showers a short walk away. The beach at the lake is really nice. A really first class State Park and a gem in the state.

__________________
Steve in VB
'12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom

stoked steve screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 06:14 PM
stoked steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #20359
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,799
There are some awesome hiking trails around Sherando too. Spent a lot of time up there years ago.

Hiking around Sherando sometime in the early 90s.

__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #20360
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
About two weeks ago me and the Misses took a nice ride down to Coinjock via the Currituck ferry for lunch at Crabbie's and met a really nice older gentleman on a BMW R1100RT at the ferry dock, David I believe was his name, complete with IBA stickers and a very faded Aerostich riding suit. We chatted quite a bit during the ride and he asked if we knew about the Sherando BMW get together. Ironically we were going camping the next weekend at Lake Sherando, one of our favorite places to camp.

He also called it Sheraindo as it always rains up there. True to name we got dumped on when we arrived, it was beautiful while we were there and we got dumped on again the last night and the next morning packing up, always fun!

Still, it's a great place and we'll be back. But probably won't make the BMW gig as that's the last weekend before school starts and we have to wrap up the summer with the kids.

On the Currituck Ferry




Camp Donlan at Sherando after the set-up rain subsided...really awesome sites with flat, graded crushed rock/sand that drains really well and is clean. Simple bathrooms nearby and nicer bathhouses with showers a short walk. The beach at the lake is really nice. A really first class State Park and a gem in the state.

Sounds like moymurphs friend Dave.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #20361
moymurfs
....................
 
moymurfs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Northeast NC
Oddometer: 2,177
Yea that's him,,,and his pink stitch suit..
__________________
Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #20362
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic
 
stoked steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Yea that's him,,,and his pink stitch suit..
We had a nice chat about Hatteras, Ocracoke in particular. About his days as a kid down there and my adventures 4xing to go surfing back before the turn of the century....

As soon as I saw the faded Aerostich up ahead of us at the ferry line, I knew he would be riding a BMW and had to go up and say hi.

Not like the pirate crew who were also on the boat and wouldn't even say hi...

__________________
Steve in VB
'12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
stoked steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #20363
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic
 
stoked steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 651
New Tag!

Go Get It!



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...15193&page=305
__________________
Steve in VB
'12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
stoked steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #20364
moymurfs
....................
 
moymurfs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Northeast NC
Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
We had a nice chat about Hatteras, Ocracoke in particular. About his days as a kid down there and my adventures 4xing to go surfing back before the turn of the century....

As soon as I saw the faded Aerostich up ahead of us at the ferry line, I knew he would be riding a BMW and had to go up and say hi.

Not like the pirate crew who were also on the boat and wouldn't even say hi...

Yea, he just stopped by today, said you and the Mrs. seemed like really nice people.
__________________
Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #20365
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,899
Ride the DR

I managed to get a little time to go out for a ride. Should have been trying to catch up on work but the DR needed to use up some of the old gas. Besides I need some off road miles for S500.
Nice and clean before on leaving. Well almost clean. I put o a tool tube but did not like it so back on went the stock tool compartment. And strapped on the blue bag.


I wanted to go up tot the CC road and ride it a couple of times. I road up through Iris to the land fill.

On the way tried on my camera. Some road shots and an old house on Tastene.



There were some kids riding off Tastene. No pictures

I got to the Land fill and took a right. It looks like the State Forest Service smoothed out the fun parts. But alas I saw a sign to inspect a stand of trees for bidding.

It is open for bidders to look over a stand of trees for harvesting. Found some good overgrown dirt roads. Then on the way back out I took the wrong line. A little muddy. I had ridden on the other side though the water no issues. What a pain to get it out. I need to bring a shovel or wrench. Oh the trees only look big enough for pulp.

I did get out.



Made it home and washed off the mud. Oh and next time bring water. It was hot an humid.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 08:13 PM
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #20366
dljocky
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Yorktown, Va
Oddometer: 853
Biker128pedal, I hope you took the time to clean that DR up. I don't think it's use to being stored muddy!

Looks like it was a great ride!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #20367
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Biker128pedal, I hope you took the time to clean that DR up. I don't think it's use to being stored muddy!

Looks like it was a great ride!
A good coating of mud provides protection.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #20368
MGB
ex. BmwDuc
 
MGB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Hampton and Forks of Buffalo, VA
Oddometer: 1,907
And people wonder why I do my own service

So I wrap up a service on my Tenere, all the bodywork is off so I set up to have the headlight sub-harness replaced and get a state inspection. So all they have to do is remove 4 bolts from the front to remove the headlights and replace the sub-harness.

I ask them to listen to the cam chain tensioner as it's a little noisy on startup. They recommend replacing it (under my YES warrenty) with the new part #. Great, lets do it! All they have to do is raise (maybe remove) the tank.

Remember, all the bodywork is off.

Halfway home I glance at the gauges and notice some marks on the handle bar. Grease maybe. NOT! Turns out someone gouged the crap out of the handlebar right next to the triple clamp, three deep gouges about an inch long. Everytime I see them I'll remind myself why I do the maintenance.....

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell someone would have near there that could do so much damage. There is nothing up there they needed to touch with anything but their hands to do either headlight or tensioner?!?!

I did leave a message with the new service lead since I feel they ought to know how dissatisfied I am. Didn't have time to turn around and get back before they closed. I should have spent the $140 dollars or so and replaced the damn tensioner myself.

Oh well, it's just a motorcycle. But part of it is the principle of the thing.
__________________
1. "The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs" Anonymous
2. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #20369
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
So I wrap up a service on my Tenere, all the bodywork is off so I set up to have the headlight sub-harness replaced and get a state inspection. So all they have to do is remove 4 bolts from the front to remove the headlights and replace the sub-harness.

I ask them to listen to the cam chain tensioner as it's a little noisy on startup. They recommend replacing it (under my YES warrenty) with the new part #. Great, lets do it! All they have to do is raise (maybe remove) the tank.

Remember, all the bodywork is off.

Halfway home I glance at the gauges and notice some marks on the handle bar. Grease maybe. NOT! Turns out someone gouged the crap out of the handlebar right next to the triple clamp, three deep gouges about an inch long. Everytime I see them I'll remind myself why I do the maintenance.....

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell someone would have near there that could do so much damage. There is nothing up there they needed to touch with anything but their hands to do either headlight or tensioner?!?!

I did leave a message with the new service lead since I feel they ought to know how dissatisfied I am. Didn't have time to turn around and get back before they closed. I should have spent the $140 dollars or so and replaced the damn tensioner myself.

Oh well, it's just a motorcycle. But part of it is the principle of the thing.
To not start a pissing contest. Could you PM what dealer you are talking about? So I can stay away. Not that they would touch one of them nasty KTMs anyway.
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #20370
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic
 
stoked steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 651
Now that is stuck! At least you didn't drop it, not that you really could....

__________________
Steve in VB
'12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
stoked steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014