ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
I might add that one of those who braved that road was a lady...

No Tommy, NOT talking about you.
Hell, Tom rode it 4 or 5 times, he kept thinking it must be the wrong road and turned around, then went back, turned around, went back, turned around, went back........... You get the picture.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rant On:

What is it with the "hunters" in VA? I grew up in the UP and hunted everything and anything. If it moved we tried to kill it with whatever was available (guns, blackpowder, shotguns, rifles, pistols, spears, etc.) . We sat in duck blinds, deer stands, etc, etc, etc. Usually for several hours in freezing cold, snow or rain.

Here in VA "hunting" seems to consist of parking your big stoopid truck on side of the road and sitting in it while your dogs walk up and down the middle of the road. The dogs walk right out in front of you and seem to give you a dirty look that you're in their way.

Are they looking for road kill deer? Why the middle of the road? Shouldn't they be off in the woods? What is the purpose of the "hunters" sitting in the trucks? Are they waiting for a deer to come up and ask for a beer?

I have no idea what they're doing and why they have dogs.

Rant Off
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,815
Anyone going for the new tag by FF Burger?? LKike to ask before I waste my time riding over there

Hunters and their dogs, yeah I have some words about that......but I may be getting "jocked up" right now

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123
Hell, Tom rode it 4 or 5 times, he kept thinking it must be the wrong road and turned around, then went back, turned around, went back, turned around, went back........... You get the picture.
And Sue went right on thru on her C10........... with a little help after getting hung up on some, uh, obstacle.

Had to laugh after hearing his "story" that night around the fire.

Tight Group (that COG). May we never part company... no matter where we originally came from.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Rant On:

What is it with the "hunters" in VA? I grew up in the UP and hunted everything and anything. If it moved we tried to kill it with whatever was available (guns, blackpowder, shotguns, rifles, pistols, spears, etc.) . We sat in duck blinds, deer stands, etc, etc, etc. Usually for several hours in freezing cold, snow or rain.

Here in VA "hunting" seems to consist of parking your big stoopid truck on side of the road and sitting in it while your dogs walk up and down the middle of the road. The dogs walk right out in front of you and seem to give you a dirty look that you're in their way.

Are they looking for road kill deer? Why the middle of the road? Shouldn't they be off in the woods? What is the purpose of the "hunters" sitting in the trucks? Are they waiting for a deer to come up and ask for a beer?

I have no idea what they're doing and why they have dogs.

Rant Off
No flame from this end. Back when/where I used to hunt (PA) - WE - did the running and dogs were pets. No dogs, no tree stands, no hunt lands that were 'cessed out months in advance. Simply get your a$$ in the woods with your 30-30 and find your prey. Much more exciting and certainly less technical. Today, hunting is more like an arcade game.

My rant off.................
Old 12-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #21
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Roger and Guy, it was three times, the first I was by myself and turned around after about a mile and thought , Dummy you made a wrong turn, try turning on that rode by yourself, after I came down one of Guys/MOBs friend showed up and I told him it was the wrong way, he insisted it was the right way so about two miles up he agreed and we came back down, then another Cogger (Andrew) came and insisted it was correct, made it this time......................Beer tasted good that night.
Yea I missed or the dog missed me by about a foot today.
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,963
don't get me started....dogs need to be in the house...

next time hit the poor dog, put him outta his misery....these bubba's round here surround 200 acres, sit in the truck 400 yards from the woods, then they leave and stand around the local store swapping lies with a radio antenna.... I passed these guys today doing this, and a mile down the road saw one of the dogs... it ran like a turpentined cat to the road when it heard me coming, then it realized it wasn't his ride, and strolled back towards the woods, 200 yards away, dejected. Just F'ing cruel.
I have seen released dogs with collars for 6 consecutive weekends on my private 500 acre hunting land behind Scotchtown, and on the sixth week, after seeing this emmaciated skeletin that hadn't seen it's owner (radio collar still in place and blinking) I tossed a 50 pound bag of Purina dog chow on the ground, cut a slit in it, and watched this poor sould eat for 20 minutes, all the while he was $#!++ing water....sit in the truck and "glass' for deer.... at 200 yards... my aching ass....mind you, the Commonwealth made it even more rediculous by mandating Shotguns with BUCkSHOT (no slugs allowed..)be used for a humane? kill... assinine. Oh but wait, you can hunt with a RIFLE in Henrico county (parts of it...) but I can't use the same in the fringes of hanover.... gimme a break.
I hunt on foot, or in a tree, using Bow, Blackpowder, and Pistol....
been doing it for 40 years that way... and I know hunting... it's different from sittin. These guys are complete pu$$ies...huntin my ass.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #23
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES
next time hit the poor dog, put him outta his misery....these bubba's round here surround 200 acres, sit in the truck 400 yards from the woods, then they leave and stand around the local store swapping lies with a radio antenna.... I passed these guys today doing this, and a mile down the road saw one of the dogs... it ran like a turpentined cat to the road when it heard me coming, then it realized it wasn't his ride, and strolled back towards the woods, 200 yards away, dejected. Just F'ing cruel.
I have seen released dogs with collars for 6 consecutive weekends on my private 500 acre hunting land behind Scotchtown, and on the sixth week, after seeing this emmaciated skeletin that hadn't seen it's owner (radio collar still in place and blinking) I tossed a 50 pound bag of Purina dog chow on the ground, cut a slit in it, and watched this poor sould eat for 20 minutes, all the while he was $#!++ing water....sit in the truck and "glass' for deer.... at 200 yards... my aching ass....mind you, the Commonwealth made it even more rediculous by mandating Shotguns with BUCkSHOT (no slugs allowed..)be used for a humane? kill... assinine. Oh but wait, you can hunt with a RIFLE in Henrico county (parts of it...) but I can't use the same in the fringes of hanover.... gimme a break.
I hunt on foot, or in a tree, using Bow, Blackpowder, and Pistol....
been doing it for 40 years that way... and I know hunting... it's different from sittin. These guys are complete pu$$ies...huntin my ass.
Ok, good it's not just me then
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,357
Nahh I'm the same way. I only still hunt.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #25
scdddvr
Scdddvr"Aka"Seabee Diver

Oddometer: 90
Wicked

Roger,
were in the UP did you grow up? Didn't know you were a YUPER!

I personally am a Troll! Holland, Michigan.

Go M, Go Blue!

08 R1200GS Adventure
05 F650CS
84 KLR600
Hodaka Dirt Squirt
Yamaha 60
scdddvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #26
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdddvr
Roger,
were in the UP did you grow up? Didn't know you were a YUPER!

I personally am a Troll! Holland, Michigan.

Go M, Go Blue!

Born and raised in Calumet. Graduated in '86 and joined the Navy, the rest as they say is history.

BTW, it's YOOPER !!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #27
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,177
anybody up for a ride on sunday the 28th?

the weather is going to be nice.

meet at: 7-11 on Witchduck road near I-264 on and off ramps
time: 0730
direction: Route 10 northish
back home: about 1300

Hourly Forecast more details

6am

61F

9am

63F

12pm

68F

3pm

70F

6pm

66F

9pm

63F

Swashplate screwed with this post 12-27-2008 at 04:47 PM
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #28
scdddvr
Scdddvr"Aka"Seabee Diver

Laugh

Quote:
Born and raised in Calumet. Graduated in '86 and joined the Navy, the rest as they say is history.

BTW, it's YOOPER !!!!!!!!!!

Just checking to see if you were still on your game.

Joined the service in 85. Now retired. you know the rest.....

08 R1200GS Adventure
05 F650CS
84 KLR600
Hodaka Dirt Squirt
Yamaha 60
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #29
scdddvr
Scdddvr"Aka"Seabee Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate
anybody up for a ride on sunday? the weather is going to be nice.

Hourly Forecast more details

6am

61F

9am

63F

12pm

68F

3pm

70F

6pm

66F

9pm

63F

What are you thinking. What Time and were???

Wouldn't mind running up through williamsburg/Surry area. That ride you guys had three weeks ago seemed like a good one. Though i would have to be getting back round 1300....

08 R1200GS Adventure
05 F650CS
84 KLR600
Hodaka Dirt Squirt
Yamaha 60
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Roger during TAG

Roger just had to cross that little bridge...this is a Washington Ditch, Fat Connie could not do it.....
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote