ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #13756
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCSurveyor View Post
I tried explaining that in VA, you are required to wear a helmet to operate a motorbike, but the rep. I talked to didn't seem to think that made a difference.

I've been a client of this insurance company for 17 years and this is the only accident I've ever had. Only 2 speeding tickets in that time as well. Yet I'm having to struggle, for some reason, just to get myself and the motorbike fixed.

An attourney friend of mine hit the nail on the head the other day at the shop; If you have to ask yourself if you're getting screwed over... you probably are.
After all is said and done- if you wouldn't mind sharing- I'm still interested to know what happened during the accident, who your insurance company is and what they did or did not cover and the reason given. It's cool of you don't want to share, no worries at all, I just have a bunch of guys in the Navy ask me about riding and who to get insurance through so I like to mentor them when I can and situations like yours seem like they would be a good example.

-Barron
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #13757
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
I tried explaining that in VA, you are required to wear a helmet to operate a motorbike, but the rep. I talked to didn't seem to think that made a difference.

I've been a client of this insurance company for 17 years and this is the only accident I've ever had. Only 2 speeding tickets in that time as well. Yet I'm having to struggle, for some reason, just to get myself and the motorbike fixed.

An attourney friend of mine hit the nail on the head the other day at the shop; If you have to ask yourself if you're getting screwed over... you probably are.

I had the same issue (Allstate) when I wrecked my bike some time back. The short version; we didn't relent on the fact they should cover gear (my policy stated so) and eventually gave in after reaching the adjusters superior. Took probably a month half for it all to sort out.
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #13758
advridgerunner
RESIST WE MUCH !

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowers View Post
I had the same issue (Allstate) when I wrecked my bike some time back. The short version; we didn't relent on the fact they should cover gear (my policy stated so) and eventually gave in after reaching the adjusters superior. Took probably a month half for it all to sort out.
hey mike, long time no hear, hope yaw'll are well?

1981 CBX (missing it already!)-
advridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #13759
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:

The times I have worked MC crashes I always made it a point to specifically list damaged gear in the State accident report. I know of 2 guys off-hand that said they easily got it replaced.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #13760
Dane B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
My poor DRZ was strugglin from riding two up . And yes, there was a large cloud of black smoke and then my brakes were immediately applied bc i knew it was no bueno.
Dean forgot the most important part of the story though... after getting said blown up bike home we sat down and it was beer and research time .
Luckily no pictures were taken of us riding two up so therefore it didnt happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy11 View Post
So, A buddy of mine who is member here just dont remember his username

We were out riding on Indian creek out in pungo on Saturday. Well my version of the story is that the XR lost all power, made a ticking sound, and I quick shut it off.

His version was, I saw a big cloud of black smoke and said to myself, O Sh!t, were stopping

Will be tearing into the XR this coming weekend, but initial inspection would seem that the timing chain broke, bike has 0 compression, lets just hope the carnage isn't too bad.

Picture of the walk of shame is below, and yes, We did have to make a 40 minute ride, 2 up, on a DRZ400, and neither one of us is exactly small.......

Dane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #13761
Dane B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Good job DAAANG! Ive been emailing him all sorts of postings too but because Dean is dean hell prob just sell the 650 and ride around the 100 Its more suited to his size anyways
Dane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #13762
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:

Wow, keep complaining to them and be that squeaky wheel. It seems that's the only way to get some companies to do the right thing.
I know theworstkind got his gear replaced after his crash, at least the helmet was. I don't remember what company he uses.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #13763
Dboy11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
You ride to much on the street for a CRFx. Youll end up having to change the oil once a week and adjusting your valves once a month.
Alright so with that in mind, should I be looking at the XR650r, the Husq or the KTM. Anyone have anything good or about to say about the Husq or KTM you posted, I like them both.
Dboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #13764
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I agree. With your crash, you are dealing with the most junior claims rep. Keep pushing. Don't sign off on anything, and tell them you will go to the Insurance commission. Insurance companies don't like negative comments to the commission. Good luck Surveyor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
Wow, keep complaining to them and be that squeaky wheel. It seems that's the only way to get some companies to do the right thing.
I know theworstkind got his gear replaced after his crash, at least the helmet was. I don't remember what company he uses.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #13765
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advridgerunner View Post
hey mike, long time no hear, hope yaw'll are well?
If we were doing any better they would have written two books about us!

Sheila and I need to get up your way and check out the new spread.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #13766
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I agree. With your crash, you are dealing with the most junior claims rep. Keep pushing. Don't sign off on anything, and tell them you will go to the Insurance commission. Insurance companies don't like negative comments to the commission. Good luck Surveyor.
This is what I'm doing. Right now, I think I have enough coming to cover my parts. I'm still waiting to hear though. I plan on submitting claims for my helmet and jacket, since both are damaged beyond use.

I've been with this insurance company for a long time, and have had nothing but good things to say about them. I'd hate for them to let me down. I guess that's the frustrating part. Frustrating too that all I heard after the accident was "don't worry about it... we'll make it right.", and now I'm feeling like the opposite is happening. I don't want to get lawyers involved. I don't think it's worth it. I just want the bike fixed, and things back the way they were before, and I feel like that's not going to happen.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #13767
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:

Sheila and I need to get up your way and check out the new spread.
Or get together for a dinner
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #13768
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
Or get together for a dinner
Hey wait, that's yall's falt! We set one up and everyone pussed out. Now it's your turn
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #13769
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
the rat bike sitting in the corner gathering dust?
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #13770
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the rat bike sitting in the corner gathering dust?
Yep , good news is we moved back to the burg two weeks ago. The Ferry and rt5 are 1 min from the house. Bad news is for some one who doesn't work I don't seem to have a lot of free time, lol. What's your next adventure?