ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #14836
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 250
haha "plinker" might be a little bit of an understatement for a 7 mag but yeah I have too many to use them all. it's maybe had 1 box of ammo pass through it.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #14837
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,369
Not sure I'd pay the extra $$$$ for a black lever action 30-30.

I did however spend way too much money this week
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #14838
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
I'd like to think the rack of my 20-guage would be enough to deter most people. If not, I figure 6-shot should do the trick. I also have slugs.

My shotgun is for home defense. If I'm in public, my two working legs and whatever blunt object is within reach will be my defense. This may get me flamed, but nothing scares the shit out of me more than being in a situation where a bunch of armed and untrained people feel throwing lead around is the safest form of response to a threat.

Ever see that bar shoot-out video in Ohio from a couple years ago? The one where almost everyone had a gun, and the place looked like that scene from the movie Heat? Not one single person was shot. Conceal and carry at it's worst.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #14839
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
nothing scares the shit out of me more than being in a situation where a bunch of armed and untrained people feel throwing lead around is the safest form of response to a threat.

I think I could find better things to worry about.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #14840
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
Depends on your prospective...

I don't really care to get in a heated debate over guns and caliber sizes, especially on this site. But I will say this, I think history has proven that you'd be much better off with standard ammunition in your gun when defending yourself. Courts, meaning jury's, are usually not sympathetic to someone using anything other than standard ammunition. If you load rounds yourself, you're in for an even tougher battle defending yourself.

Standard issue FMJ .45 is my choice.
even in a .45, you're better off buying some quality defensive hollowpoints for it. .45 is the only caliber where using FMJ isn't a guarantee that the round will go through and continue on to God knows where. But it still benefits from the expansion, which ensure the round stays in your attacker, and delivers every bit of energy into him.

I'm not talking about reloading. Go to Bob's, hit their ammo floor, and buy a box of some Federal Hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dots, or some Winchester SXT. The vast majority of law enforcement agencies use one of those 3, or something damn close.

As for handloads being harder to defend, that's a myth. The only time a person had a hard time with hand loads was because he claimed his wife shot herself, and the prosecutor said the powder residue wasn't enough for self-inflicted wound. If someone tried to pull the "you're making the ammo more deadly", it's called lethal force for a reason, and the stuff the manufacturers make is already loaded to max safe pressures.
Laughingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #14841
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
+1 on the Springfield!
I carry an XDm .40, have been for about 4 years now and I absolutely love it.
The one big issue with XDs is that, if they fail, it's generally the grip safety that fails. So you're stuck with a loaded gun that won't shoot, and can't be cleared. This isn't hard to verify on Google. As for frequency of that particular failure, it's like the BMW final drives: some swear it's 50%, but something below 0.01% is more likely. But it's still wise to know how to detail strip it and inspect it yourself if you put a lot of ammo through it.

Glocks aren't known for any particular failure at all...unless you're shooting .40. Then you have to worry about the combo of bullet setback if you keep rechambering the same round with the unsupported factory barrel.

M&Ps have issues with one side or the other of the slide lock popping off. Only issue with that is you'll have to yank the slide back after you reload, or use the other side of the ambi-slide lock, to put it in battery. Earlier M&Ps were also known for accuracy issues. You'd have to try different bullet weights to find what will actually group well at 25 yards. But if you don't compete with it, that's not as much of an issue. Very few defensive uses of handguns at that range historically.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #14842
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRED- View Post
Agreed. If you got some dough, the Kimber .45 with a 4" barrel is right at the top for me. My wallet is thin these days so my Ruger P95 9mm will have to do.
Something to keep in mind with 1911s for defensive guns. Larry Vickers has been known to say "If you treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower, just get a GLOCK". Keeping a 1911 running well if you use it a lot, especially in barrel lengths shorter than 5" (Govt. model), takes a lot of work. You should really learn enough about them to be your own armorer. But a GLOCK or M&P, or any other quality modern polymer gun, will run for thousands of rounds accurately without a single cleaning. Todd Green has run torture tests on a number of guns to prove this point (www.pistol-training.com).

He also teaches some great defensive shooting classes, and is based out of the Northern VA area. I haven't taken any of his classes, since my focus is on IDPA/USPSA competitive shooting. But the right people all rave about what they've learned from him.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #14843
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ757 View Post
I've Been thinking of getting a concealed carry permit,,, perhaps its time to get off my ass and make it happen.
Is 50 bucks and a copy of my DD214 all there is to it?
Not sure on the dollar amount. But the DD214 is all you'll need, along with your driver's license as I recall. Bonus for being in VA Beach, which is MUCH faster and easier to deal with than Chesapeake. Our sheriff really goes out of his way to drag the process out to the maximum 45 days allowed.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #14844
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
I think I could find better things to worry about.
It's certainly not keeping me up at night. But when it comes to legitimate fears of something that might injur or kill me without me being prepared for it, that's it.

Some people don't like spiders. Some are even afraid of motorbikes. For me, it's the fear of being in a situation like the one I described in Ohio. I just fail to understand Conceal and Carry sometimes, and will not partake in it. I'm pro gun, mind you. I guess I just can't see the logical reasoning behind C&C.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #14845
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
+1 on the Springfield!
I carry an XDm .40, have been for about 4 years now and I absolutely love it.

Damnit man,

You've got the Gun I want and the Bike ( KTM )

plus a personalized Go-Pro.

Winner

Henderson757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #14846
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingdawg View Post
As for handloads being harder to defend, that's a myth. The only time a person had a hard time with hand loads was because he claimed his wife shot herself, and the prosecutor said the powder residue wasn't enough for self-inflicted wound. If someone tried to pull the "you're making the ammo more deadly", it's called lethal force for a reason, and the stuff the manufacturers make is already loaded to max safe pressures.
Read Massad Ayoob's books. I won't convince you, but he might.

It's not my point I'm trying to make. He's made it a hundred times and supported it by facts (meaning cases.)

Jury's do not like rounds that mean to inflict more damage on someone. Seems silly, but it is what it is.

No ballistic data on hand loads is a real problem. Not for you and I defending ourselves, but in court.

It seems to me in my limited time talking to people who carry, little thought is placed on what happens after you use your weapon. That's really what I'm talking about.

You're correct of course on the ballistic data of hollow-points. Makes sense. Just not in court.
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #14847
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
It's certainly not keeping me up at night. But when it comes to legitimate fears of something that might injur or kill me without me being prepared for it, that's it.

Some people don't like spiders. Some are even afraid of motorbikes. For me, it's the fear of being in a situation like the one I described in Ohio. I just fail to understand Conceal and Carry sometimes, and will not partake in it. I'm pro gun, mind you. I guess I just can't see the logical reasoning behind C&C.
I feel the same about people driving, there's too many on the roads that can't drive, but they are, so you have to be more defensive............but I will continue to Drive and ride with them out there, I also CC everyday
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #14848
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
Damnit man,

You've got the Gun I want and the Bike ( KTM )

plus a personalized Go-Pro.

plus a hot wife.

plus a cool dog

Winner

Hes got a 3rd nipple though. Just when you thought Chad had the perfect life. BAM 3rd nipple.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #14849
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Hes got a 3rd nipple though. Just when you thought Chad had the perfect life. BAM 3rd nipple.
Mark walhberg has a third nipple and its Fucking Mark Walhberg, CHad did it again...... Damnit
Henderson757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #14850
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
bhahahahaha!

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote