User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Matizzle OP
gumption junction

Oddometer: 128
Matizzle is trippin'

Spring fever got to me. It was time for a real trip... My first real trip. Seeing as the whole reason I got into motorcycles two years ago was to travel and the farthest I had ventured was Wetfest (3 hours away) for an overnighter.
Somehow over the 2 years I owned 6 different bikes and spent last fall building a garage to work on them and barely put on 3k miles. Before you start thinking these are fancy bikes or some outrageous man cave. Here's the bike barn, I rebuilt a neighbors collapsing garage. Not all the bikes in there are mine. But you see the Honda bias.

I needed to get out of town, clear my brain and put some miles on.

Bike loaded for a late start. Better late then never.

Couldn't afford to pick up the Caribou side cases I wanted so instead I ran out to the Dewalt Repair shop that was selling off tool boxes cheap. Two router cases and some hardware made inexpensive, but serviceable cases.

Seeing as I only had 4 days I wanted to see as much as possible. I headed out of Portland south on the highway to get to new territory quickly. 2 hours slabbing it and I was done with the highway. Pulled off at Drain, OR and found Deb's diner waiting for me. Sorry I forgot to photograph my corn dog and pie (I know ADVriders like their food shots).

The clouds burned off and I was heading west to the coast, to new terrain.

Having moved from a land of lakes to a country of rivers, I have quickly fallen in love with the winding roads that follow these scenic rivers.
Matizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Now you are ready for a long ride. And you are in the right place to start. Just go.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Matizzle OP
gumption junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
Now you are ready for a long ride. And you are in the right place to start. Just go.
Thanks. I am thinking that a week trip to Vancouver Island will be next. And start planning a big trip South when winter hits the Northwet.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Matizzle OP
gumption junction

Continuing with the trip...

So i left Deb's Diner and followed the Umpqua River to the coast.

Just North of North Bend it was time to find a camping spot.

So I headed to the sands and found the ocean.

It was blowing a stink, so I put on more gear to take in the sunset. Looked like a dork, but it was cold and no one else was around.

Cheers to a first big trip!

And the sunset:

With the wind blowing like hell cats, I had the campground to myself. So I got my choice of spots and found the only sheltered one.

A quick dinner of meat and beer, and it was lights out.

Coming up: Matizzle gets lost on the reservation...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
jab1026
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Subscribing... solo ride is more challenging.
jab1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Matizzle OP
gumption junction

Day two:
Wow, that was a bad nights sleep. First night in a tent usually is an exercise in futility. I don't know what it is, but I can never sleep that first night. Even took my calms (herbal) sleeping pills. Next time I might try something heavier.

I brought along the basics for breakfast but thought I would instead get a quick start and find a diner. One of my new discoveries is that motorcycle traveling means eating out. Whenever I have traveled in a car, we bring a cooler, and avoid eating out. Partly to save money and also to save my wife from her bad food allergies. But motorcycle camping is cheap and uses little gas, so eating out is a treat and my only social interaction so far.

I decided to check out the sand dunes on my way out of the park. Those sand rails and dune buggies were running though the night. If it wasn't for the wind almost entirely blocking them out, I might have been annoyed by them.

Never had the opportunity to learn to ride on sand. But I was alone and my gear was all locked down to the bike, so I passed on this one.

A few minutes down the road was Bandon Dunes, the legendary golf course/resort. My distant brother-in-law wrote a book about the place and is pretty popular in those circles. He is married to my wife's brother's ex-wife. So what does that make our connection? Probably nothing. Oh well he's a good guy and I wasn't really planning to use his name to get me in the place. Luckily it was a mid week morning and no one was manning the entrance gate. So I just rolled in and took a peak around.

Honestly, I couldn't see too much of the golf course but it was a nice setting. Hung out until my stomach woke up and headed into the town of Bandon for breakfast.
Small touristy seaside town with a cafe (Two Loons?) serving up Scotch Eggs!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Matizzle OP
gumption junction

After filling up on Scotch Eggs and coffee and a brief walk around Bandon, I was once again heading South on 101. Soon the wind and sun came out. I stopped to check out Cape Blanco Lighthouse but the wind was raging and threatened to blow over my bike. So I kept going.

Cruising on 101 is awesome, excepting the wind. Gusts were blowing me all over my lane. Good thing it was spring and not the weekend so traffic was light. Views were great. It was hard not stopping at every scenic viewpoint.

Lunch came late. I took a break from the winds to grab a great fish sandwich at The Hungry Clam. Can't remember where this was exactly.

So here's where my trip started getting more interesting. I rode to the town of Klamath with the intention of riding through the mountains to highway 96 heading Northeast along the Klamath River. Now I don't have a GPS, just haven't got there yet. but what I did have is the big Delorme Atlases for CA and OR. Great map books, but big and a pain to pull out of the cases to check. While taking a break and going over the maps some kid comes up and wants to chat bikes. Seriously, the only real conversation I have had in 2 days. In the end he says to check, because he thinks 96 is closed. Shit.

Of course my cell phone doesn't work there and it takes half an hour to sort out a number and get a phone at the gas station to find out it is fine, just some construction and lane closures. So I head out on my intended route 169 and bam the road just ends.

According to the maps, I entered the Hoopa Valley Indian Reservation and the road stops cold. But my map shows a wandering paved road going through. So I start exploring and looping around. I soon ride up to a lady sitting on the hood of her car at this crazy sharp 180 degree turn on a 15 degree climb which is the only paved road heading in the right direction.
She's a nice middled aged native American lady but obviously high as a kite. At first she just keeps laughing and asking "so who are you?"

Now I should have realized I was entering someplace different, when I saw a man on a bridge with a bow and arrow who looking like he was fishing.

I shut off my bike, pull off my helmet, because I know it may take a while to get any information on the road. She keeps asking me if I have seen the movie Hostile. Never heard of it but it sounded like a warning. Anyways, we chat for a bit, those kinds of half sensical conversations you have with someone that is seriously drunk. In the end she keeps repeating that there is only one way in and one way out. So all I can do it turn around and head back to the highway.

By this time it is well into the afternoon and I need to make progress, but no w I have a several hour detour to do a huge loop to get to where I want to go. It seems that the state built highway 169 from the North and South but it just stops on either side of the Indian Reservation. Not that I have any problem with the Native Americans controlling what happens on their land, but kinda stupid of our government... Nothing new there, right?

Time to hall ass to Arcata / Eureka!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matizzle
Day two:
serving up Scotch Eggs!
Nice ride report........ BUT...........THEY are NOT Scotch Eggs! THESE are Scotch Eggs.......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Matizzle OP
gumption junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucks2drive
Nice ride report........ BUT...........THEY are NOT Scotch Eggs! THESE are Scotch Eggs.......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg
I think you are thrown off by the hollandaise sauce. They were very much sausage wrapped, bread crumbed, deep fried eggs. The sauce is a great addition, keeps them from being too dry.

Making myself hungry...
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matizzle
I think you are thrown off by the hollandaise sauce. They were very much sausage wrapped, bread crumbed, deep fried eggs. The sauce is a great addition, keeps them from being too dry.

Making myself hungry...
shit! you are right.... sorry.......... my bad. I need new glasses! yep that Sauce made em look like quail eggs on toasted buns........lol

fruit salad? with lunch? on the same plate, not as a dessert.... try that in the UK they will accuse ya of being a 'soft southern shandy drinkin poof' ...... just sayin.....

Scotch eggs are good! dunno about the sauce...... but I DO like the eggs!
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
sock_eye
Now Giiit!!!!

Oddometer: 47
That can't be all of it?
sock_eye is offline   Reply With Quote