User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,486
Guanajuato - Zacatecas Mexico Ride

I decided to take a ride thru the Backyard area of the most known touristic places of these two cities.

Started at Irapuato Gto, going to visit the Christ of the Mountain or best known as "The Cubilete Hill".
Then from there, ride to Guanajuato by the back dirt road that the minning business uses to run the mines.

Arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
I'd love to see pics of Guanajuato and the rest of your ride, of course
Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
sachiwilson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
My partner Claire and I have been to Zacatecas many times, as well as to towns and archeological sites around the area (Sombrerete, la Sierra Des Organos, Alta Vista, La Quemada). It's a truly lovely part of Mexico! I'll be looking forward to your pics!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
What a coincidence! Last night I was researching the Cerro de Cubilete and the "Cristo del Rey." Sound like a nice side trip from Guanajuato. Hope to get down there in March. More pics please.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
Thanks for posting!

Isn't this where the "momias" (mummies) are? I recall that there's a museum where they're on display.

Strange, but true . . .
Old 12-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson
My partner Claire and I have been to Zacatecas many times, as well as to towns and archeological sites around the area (Sombrerete, la Sierra Des Organos, Alta Vista, La Quemada). It's a truly lovely part of Mexico! I'll be looking forward to your pics!
I was born in Sombrerete! and of course I've been several times on these places.
In Sombrerete is a tunnel that runs underground across the town, and was used in the times of the Guerra de los Cristeros (christians war) in the earlys 1900's. Also there is some hidden information regarding a tortureing chambers that seems were used way back by some inquisition activities. But no one knows exactly on which church is the entrance to the tunnels. Nor even if they are in good shape to be explored.

Same thing at Zacatecas and Fresnillo.

Arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagt6
Thanks for posting!

Isn't this where the "momias" (mummies) are? I recall that there's a museum where they're on display.

Strange, but true . . .
Yes, there is a mummies museum. Actually is besides a cementery, and the mummies are originated from there. It happens that the soil at this cementery causes the mummification efect on the corpses. But most of the display mummies are very old and with no relatives that might claim to be removed from the museum.

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 12-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
sachiwilson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
I was born in Sombrerete! and of course I've been several times on these places.
Oh vey cool! I can see that I don't need to suggest places for you to go!

I'm looking forward to more pics and tales - and so is Claire.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

the road to the Cubilete is made of coblestone but in very good shape, same as the one going to Real de Catorce.

all over Central Mexico you can find Catholic churches everywere (you'll see many on these thread).

As you are climbing up to the top of the mountain, you will find all over the road many people (grown ups and many children) asking for a coin. Most of them uses the money for eat, they are not junkies or wanderers. they live right besides the road.

this picture was taken by one of the little guys asking for money. I showed him how to doit and did well. He and his brother are in fifth grade at elementary and one is 11 the other 12. I asked if they were doing goog at school and even asked some multiplication math. They did not wanted to mount on the bike for a pic. Their faces were all smiling after some coins.

almost getting there

looking behind you can see all the Bajio the Guanajuato.

the site was getting crowded and barely could find a place to park the bike!! (I did not wanted to walk on off road boots)

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

The church at the top is very well visited all over the year by several people from all Mexico. Many of them just come as part of touristic travel,

but several come as part of their faith and come to pay a received favor or even a miracle asked on their prayers, so they walk on their knees as part of their payback offer for the favor.

here is a size reference of the statue

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,060
Keep it coming Arte!

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

route map

this is the dirt road map from el cubilete to Guanajuato. Is the thin line going up to the "Mineral de la Luz" then down to Gto. el Cubilete is right above of "Aguas Buenas".

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 12-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Eso es divertirse, excelente recorrido y fotos fregonas, aqui te esperamos para enero, que envidia, de la buena claro, por que aqui, na'a de na'a., diviertete.

Andres.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongorian
I rode up to the top of that back a couple or 3 years ago. Ran out of change for the kids and started throwing them the last of my jellybeans.

Do you have any pictures down towards Silao? The view of the GM plant down there is incredible. Chevy's for miles and miles, wonder if there's as many out there these days with their business on its knees.

I'snt Christo Rey the geographical center of Mexico, or something like that?
Yes I did tried to capt a good (not too good) view of the thousands of vehicles waiting for its new owner....

I'm not sure about the geographical center, because there are other nearby towns that claims the same.

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 12-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres A
Eso es divertirse, excelente recorrido y fotos fregonas, aqui te esperamos para enero, que envidia, de la buena claro, por que aqui, na'a de na'a., diviertete.

Andres.
Gracias Amigo !!

Chiapas Ride 2013