ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.

Oddometer: 93
California M1 question

I moved back to Huntington Beach after living in Ohio for a few years and just got my new Driver's License in the mail. I noticed that it didn't have an M1 endorsement on it (I had a motorcycle endorsement on my Ohio DL). DMV says there is nothing that can be done about it, so I will just take the riding test. One of my friends mentioned that I had to ride on a permit for six months before they would let me try the test. Does anybody on the board know if that is true? It would really suck to be prohibited from using the freeways for half a year, and no night riding either.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
IncompleteInsanity
Ride more, type less.

Oddometer: 137
I don't think that is true. My 20yr old son took the MSF course and got the certificate in the mail, then went to DMV and took the written test, they punched holes in his existing DL and gave him a temp paper lic. and said his new lic. with the M1 would arrive in the mail. He hasn't gotten the new lic. yet, but it hasn't even been a week. They did not seem to have any "permit time" requirement.
IncompleteInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
^^agree^^

You'll have to retake the regular written test plus an additional motorcycle specific written test and pass a skills test. The skills test is pretty easy if done on a smaller bike, more challenging on a big bike but no problem for an ADV rider.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Things may have changed but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBArbuckle
Does anybody on the board know if that is true?
Well, I know it wasn't true ~25 years ago when I moved back to CA.....I took my Oregon drivers license into the DMV and walked out with my CA. license, inclusive of M1.....seems to me that I did have to take a written test for the M1, but I never re-took the driving/riding test.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
911racer
dare to explore

Oddometer: 471
Take the writen test= get permit
wait 30 days, take moto test =get M1 lic that day.
done..
Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,090
Quote:
I moved back to Huntington Beach after living in Ohio for a few years and just got my new Driver's License in the mail. I noticed that it didn't have an M1 endorsement on it (I had a motorcycle endorsement on my Ohio DL). DMV says there is nothing that can be done about it, so I will just take the riding test. One of my friends mentioned that I had to ride on a permit for six months before they would let me try the test. Does anybody on the board know if that is true? It would really suck to be prohibited from using the freeways for half a year, and no night riding either.

Thanks.

They dropped your M1, go down there and have a tantrum until they put it back on.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
IncompleteInsanity
Ride more, type less.

The basic MSF rider training certificate does waive the requirement of a moto test, so you could shorten that 30 days by a lot.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
DMV says there is nothing that can be done about it,
You mean some lazy piece of shit says there's nothing they can do. That's bullshit. Don't stop asking until you get somebody isn't totally incompetent. You still have your old license right? Point that out until they DO THEIR JOB.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.

Dmv

I talked to the DMV this morning and only under-age drivers need to have a permit for six months. Since it looks like the fastest way to get things done is to take the BRC I signed up with U-Ride. Does anybody know how long it takes to get the certificate after I complete the course? I am currently riding without a license (I don't have a car). Hopefully I won't get pulled over anytime soon.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
sdswingr
No, I don't own a BMW

Oddometer: 227
That is total bs. I got my M license in Oregon, then moved back to CA for a few years. Once you have an M you always have an M...
Then I told them to smash their face into the floor as hard as they could and drive it forward 3 feet. I got a bunch of laughter and of course no one did it. I went on to say that if you weren't willing to do that, that you should rethink any decision to ride without a helmet.
sdswingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
If you already have your M1 on your other states DL then you need to only do the Written exam. If you applied on line for your DL then you may not have been able to do the motorcycle test. You need to go in to the DMV and get it done. see below for easy steps.

Transferring an Out-of-State License

Visit any DMV location, or save time by calling ahead for an appointment. You will be required to take a written exam, so studying California's Motorcycle Handbook is strongly encouraged.
When you arrive to apply and take the exam, you must:
  • Provide either your original birth certificate or a passport.
  • Provide your license.
  • Complete Form DL 44.
  • Pay a $28 application fee.
NO BRAINER...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Boostwizzard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39

Garbage, even us Cali's wouldnt be that stupid....would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncompleteInsanity
The basic MSF rider training certificate does waive the requirement of a moto test, so you could shorten that 30 days by a lot.

this is the way to go, its (or was) $199, weekend deal, and you dont have to go to the stupid driving test area at the DMV where you need a mountain bike to go around that stupit circle.................Plus it saves you 10% on your motorcycle insurance if you get the MSF..........They also hav advanced courses which i highly recommend driving in SoCal...... Cheers and good luck....MATE!! ...................OH and PS, read the motorcycle driving manual cover to cover 3 times, (it anint that long) then go take your test, guaranteed to pass as some questions are right out of the pages that you will read........
Boostwizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
IncompleteInsanity
Ride more, type less.

Quote:
...... Does anybody know how long it takes to get the certificate after I complete the course? I am currently riding without a license (I don't have a car). Hopefully I won't get pulled over anytime soon.

Thanks.
It was less than a week. I think he took the course on a thurs and fri., and got the certificate in the mail on the next wednesday.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Boostwizzard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
One can still legally ride with a permit, just not on FWY, at night or a passanger...you do have a permit
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.

Resolved

I have gotten everything fixed. Thanks for the help.