ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #466
cribaby
Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
I would like to plan a party and take all your leftover meds. (if there are any)
It'll be fun!
Damn, I wish I would have call first dibs, the first aid kit is getting low. Oh well please invite to the party.

Ben and Dale glad your both is good spirts and looking forward to your next ride. I'd call it The over the boulder, not land on the shoulder ride, so count me in, you guys were charging it.

Charlie
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #467
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
I would like to learn....

if one of the Leatt Braces would help prevent these types of injuries..

I guess mainly the Clavicle. What say the knowledgable masses???

spafxer
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #468
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
if one of the Leatt Braces would help prevent these types of injuries..

I guess mainly the Clavicle. What say the knowledgable masses???

spafxer
I know of three people w/ broken backs while racing w/ the Leatt. That doesn't prove anything outright, but in my circle a broken back occurred once every four or five years more or less.
Leatt comes out, and in a year there are three. Not scientific, but apparently Leatt's research wasn't either.
I wore one for maybe 6 months and put it on the shelf.
Do they help? Maybe. Do they hurt? Maybe.
A collarbone is sacrificial. They are broken mostly by the helmet. 6 weeks and your back riding in most cases.
Broken shoulder is more time off and more money.
A broken back from a routine accident is a bigger deal.
I would suggest a lot of reading before just putting on a Leatt.
It is a very tough choice and being wrong could be permanent.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #469
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
so are we saying that it can prevent clavicle but cause back injures do to the force being transfered. im new to my leatt and im already weary. i wear it with a chest protector if that helps anything.
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #470
johngil
Reseda, CA

Maybe start this up on another thread.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #471
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Dale. I seen your x ray and they look alot worse than mine. I just have a hair line crack on the ball that goes into the socket. I was told if the ligaments are ok. Ill just need to wear a body sling until I heal. Keep your fingers crossed. Lets get together when we heal up. Will call it the shoulder ride. Ben
hey ben, that's not my xray. i think spafxer posted that to freak me out. i saw my break today, looks like someone sliced the bone very precisely and slid the 2 pieces north/south a bit. doc says there is nothing to do but let 'er knit. my big challange is getting my socks on
CCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #472
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCer
hey ben, that's not my xray. i think spafxer posted that to freak me out. i saw my break today, looks like someone sliced the bone very precisely and slid the 2 pieces north/south a bit. doc says there is nothing to do but let 'er knit. my big challange is getting my socks on
Good. Because that xray kinda turned my gut. I have a fealing that I won't need to go under the knife. I dont have any bruising or discloration on the shoulder. I figure if the tendens were bruised I would see some discloration? I will know in a few hours. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #473
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCer
that's good news....

as to protection the Acerbis Koerta pressure suit has clavicle protection....keeps the helpmet from wacking the bone...
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #474
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
that's good news....

as to protection the Acerbis Koerta pressure suit has clavicle protection....keeps the helpmet from wacking the bone...
I wonder if a pressure suit would of save my shoulder? Ben
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #475
johngil
Reseda, CA

Quote:
It would be just another piece of gear the paramedic or EMT would have to cut off.
It's all cheap insurance, but you can't get away from breaking something when it's your time. The perfect crash does not exist.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #476
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Good. Because that xray kinda turned my gut. I have a fealing that I won't need to go under the knife. I dont have any bruising or discloration on the shoulder. I figure if the tendens were bruised I would see some discloration? I will know in a few hours. Ben

Sorry Ben for the post of the clavicle. I thought since it was posted so soon, it would be not be considered one of our riders. I asked a friend about collar bones, she's in the medical field, and this is the picture she sent me,,

Hoping for good news for you!

jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #477
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
I'm guessing yes. I took the mother of all whoops in DV near the geologist's cabin and landed on my shoulder. I did end up with a separated shoulder but it would have been a lot worse without my Koerta. As it was I was able to ride out that day, get back to camp and ride home the next day. Vicodin was my friend on that ride.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #478
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribaby
Damn, I wish I would have call first dibs, the first aid kit is getting low. Oh well please invite to the party.

Ben and Dale glad your both is good spirts and looking forward to your next ride. I'd call it The over the boulder, not land on the shoulder ride, so count me in, you guys were charging it.

Charlie
charlie, i'll save you some so you can help your next lucky patient. i'm just taking aleve now.
CCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #479
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

I went to ortho yesterday. He said it does not look like I will have to go under the knife. On Saturday I can start doing a little pt on the shoulder. He wants me to let my arm hang on my side and do little circles 10 each way 3x a day. Ill wait two weeks befor I start doing any other excercise. I have a bike trainer that I can spin while I watch TV. This will also give me a few month to shop for a pressure suit, fork spring and other goodies for the bike. Thanks Ben
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #480
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
I went to ortho yesterday. He said it does not look like I will have to go under the knife. On Saturday I can start doing a little pt on the shoulder. He wants me to let my arm hang on my side and do little circles 10 each way 3x a day. Ill wait two weeks befor I start doing any other excercise. I have a bike trainer that I can spin while I watch TV. This will also give me a few month to shop for a pressure suit, fork spring and other goodies for the bike. Thanks Ben
If your insurance covers it, or you got the money, call DannyG about the PT. If the right person instructs you, you'll get better a lot faster. Then we can go out and bust up your other shoulder
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote