Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,323
looking good!

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,104
1 step foward 2 steps back

I just got back the motor from a friend that works for a powder company. It looks really nice but What a PAIN IN THE ASS! They had to do it 3 times and when I got it back it was oversprayed all over where it didnt need to be.

now the head has to go back to be cleaned up after having the valves re-ground.

It looks like I have some steel wooling and emeryclothing to do today! Hopefully we will be pressing bearings and shimming in the crank this weekend ...stay tuned
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
You don't need to press bearings into the cases on these.

Heat the cases to 150 c or about 300 f in the oven and the old bearings fall out. Of couse you will have your new bearings in the freezer, and they drop right in (maybe just a little tapping). I acutally used just a little less heat (280ish to be safe). This is the procedure from my manual.

you can freeze your seals as well, and when the time comes to install, it is much easier.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

thanks heat and cold are your friend! I have heard that if you dont have a freezer close you can use dry ice. I already have the hotplate
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

if you use a hotplate, use a sheet of flat steel, and set the case gasket side down, so you maxiumixe the surface area touching the sheet. You don't want to apply heat locally (unevenly) because you might warp the cases.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #21
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

While waiting on Cevquit to finish machining/perfecting a crank race bearing removal tool I got my lighting in ...well at least mount plate/rubbers and a nice new Hella 90mm h7 euro main/high beam with city/parking/running/passing flashy light this will get me legal until I decide on Hid or just a Euro low beam. Man I will be happy as the tiny one next to it is one of the old acerbis mask bulbs I used for years. Tommorow hopefully we wil be SHIMMIN. This has been too long without a bike. I think I will be looking for a motor for my old frame and get that built up as a back up

Sent crank to Malcolm Smith for crank shimming about an hour labor for them. 90.00 and shipping for me and no more headache. Have it mid next week. Next go round we will be buying the oem tool.

wrk2surf screwed with this post 03-12-2009 at 07:48 PM
Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #22
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

You remove the bearing with heat too. They fall right out. Sorry, I didn't mention that earlier!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

The cases and crank on the way back from riversides own Malcolm Smith motorsports with bearings in and shimmed for under a buck 20. I like when I called that the mechanic I talked to asked if I had shims and told him only one sides smaller 2 sets his answer was... I have some in my toolbox! Knowing they set up quite a few bikes for chris blais I went there and it was cheaper than buying both tools and didnt have to bother my friend the machinist anymore. (at least till the build )...Its been a long drawn out process but I will have built my own bike from nada. 2 weeks or so and it will all be over!!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Ok crank service was 100.00.... and bearings in the case

just checking a slight slop on the main shaft but seems ok.. so this weekend back in the frame after some more assembly and hope to start it next week!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #25
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

some new doublewides

Finally the motor in to torque the crank nuts ...

a note on clutch work on newer lc4s the inside disc which needs a oring is noted as a turnout (machined to fit oring) disc... which when ordered come labeled as such but are same as the other non machined outer discs ( I ordered 3 times) save yourself the time,money and hassle and order 8 of the
Part Number:58332011300
Description:LINING DISK 2,7MM FCC 02

I found only one other post on this issue and the guy did the same.
Also these bikes have indestuctable clutches that wear forever so you probably wont go thru any of this rigamorore.

wossner cheaper than stock but a much better piston

Stator side.. little issue with the Y axis... (adjusting the clutch rod)

got the wrong C clip for the waterpump bearing so CEVQUIT took some measurements and started writing code for new waterpump shaft and new and improved larger impeller..

if it wasnt for him and his years of riding and wrenching and cnc wizardry this would have been almost undoable and very expensive!

So shes rolling and a few bits to do on tuesday and should be fired up wed or thursday!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Excellent thread. A personal cnc wizard, that's awesome!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #27
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
got the wrong C clip for the waterpump bearing so CEVQUIT took some measurements and started writing code for new waterpump shaft and new and improved larger impeller..

Nice. CEV, count me in for one of these.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #28
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Done

Broke the motor in last night and today ... on my second oil change and its a new 09 625sxc Adventure that is unbelieveable !!! More to come but now to ride awhile.. Looking forward to the North Nevada rally and hopefully the V to R in August.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #29
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

She is back in the mountains with her friends..

Rode 100mi and a total of 250 with 2 oil changes and she goes.. The mid range is awsome with the new piston and valve job.. forgot how quick these bike are!! Got too stiff of a spring (miscommunication) but Rob at INFINTY is setting me up next week with a softer one.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #30
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,854
Awesome!! Just missing an eye patch is all.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote