User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
My Rides Around Turkey, Europe And.....

MY RIDES AROUND TURKEY and EUROPE on a HONDA TRANSALP mostly.

Dave-in-Turkey screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 07:12 AM
Dave-in-Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

FETHIYE

Been to this town quite a few times, it gets so busy in Fethiye during the tourist season in summer, so we tend to go in the quieter times, just a hour away from where I live.

It's a great ride between dalaman and Fethiye over the hills between the two towns.

At the far end of Fethiye town are the 2500 year old rock tombs carved into the hill side.

They were started by the Lycian Kings but when Alexandre The Great came this way and conqured this part of Turkey he had one carved out for one of his deceast Generals, I dont remember which tomb it is but one of them is newer than the others,only 2000 years old.

It's quite a climb up to the top tomb, well if you smoke 30 a day it is !!

When the Crusaders got bored fighting in the holy Lands some Centuaries ago they came back this way and broke into most of the Tombs looking for treasure.

The Tombs must be 10 metres high and very impresive when your up close to them.

There was 3 beds carved inside the Tomb.

The view from infront of the Tomb looking out over Fethiye and the bay.

It takes about 20 minutes or so to walk down from the Tombs to Fethiye harbour and marina.

This old fishing boat is tied up here nearly every time we have been here - I love it.

I quite often share some bread with the harbour fish.

The ride back over the hills, we often stop for a fag break in the same beautiful spot.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
jlsworks
Acid Stained

Oddometer: 788
Great pics! Keep them coming!
James
jlsworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

Cheers man, will do but it takes ages loading all the pics up.....still nothing else to do this winter...
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Great views!

What a nice view! The pictures of Turkey like nice as well!
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Skyguard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Turkey
I've been lurking on here for a year or so, and actually very bravely joined last week, I love reading the RIDE REPORTS plus all the photos but there are not many around Turkey. Feeling a strong urge to right this wrong I'm gon'a start uploading some of my rides over the past 4 years I've been living here, this is truely a very beautiful and diverse country with hospitable people...
wow - keep it coming please!!! - this is wicked!
Skyguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

DALYAN and KAUNOS

We love this pretty little town, only half an hour away by bike, probably come here 20 times a year. All my friends are into football, except me, but Dalyan has many big screen sports bars so when are friends visit from UK we always come here so they can still watch their team play and then go for a nice meal afterwards.

Dalyan is situated on a river that runs from the sea to a huge lake about 5 miles up-river.

Out of season we have rented a boat for ourselves, only 20 pounds for half a day.

High on the cliff face above the river are some rock tombs that are visable from almost anywhere in town, at night they are light up and look truely beautiful.

Dalyan river and Iztuzu beach 4 or 5 miles away are a spawning ground for Turtles.

As the river meanders towards the lake it becomes narrower and more shallow, becomeing a waren of reed beds, this is the place that parts of the film African Queen were made, any of you over 40 years old will know this classic Bogart film.

The boat ties up near the Rock Tombs where a small road meanders up over the hill about a mile or so walk, quite a difficult walk in the summer heat but once you are at the top there is a ruined city called Kaunos. 5lira enterance charge, if you carry on walking/climbing up, the views from the ruined fort are simply stunning.

Below the old fort is the city Kaunos.

This was Adelphi Temple 2000 years old, the site is actually being slowly cleared and some rebuilding takes place every winter.

The Roman bath house pictured above is going to be restored and used as a museum in the future they told us.

From the Ampitheatre you can see down to the Temple.

Back to the town.

The resturant above by the waters edge is my favorite in town but a little pricey, meal for two and a couple of beers will see off the best part of 20 pounds, sometimes though its worth it for a rare glimpse of the baby Turtles.

Heading out of town about 5 miles or so along narrow lanes brings you to the beach, the beach must be 2 miles long nearly but it is sectioned off, Human part and Turtle part, so crowded down here in high summer but the rest of the year we have it to ourselves.

......and lastly the Tombs at night.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Thanks for taking your time and sharing those lovely pics with us.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Sinan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I have been to all and reminded there again.Keep riding,you will see much more.
Sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

Cheers sinan, I tried to post another tonight but there is a storm here today and it keeps cutting the electric
Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

MARMARIS AND RHODES - GREECE (part 1)

The road to Marmaris is about 70% complete from the road widening project, the ride time from my home is now only 90 minutes. The port where you catch the ferry over to Rhodes is on the very edge of town past all the marinas.

The summer ferry is the high speed one, taking only 80 minutes to cross from Turkey to Greece, the all year round small car ferry takes amost 3 hour to complete the same journey.

When you aproach Rhodes harbour the most dominent feature is the castles and fortifications. Rhodes has been fought over for thousands of years years, Roman,Greeks,Persians,Turks,French,Germans,British ,Crusaders to list just a few. During WW2 Rhodes was captured by the Germans and Italians but unlike most occupying forces the Italians under the orders of Musolini renevated so much of the ancient parts of Rhodes which is why it is so well preserved today.

The photos above are of THE PALACE OF THE GRAND MASTERS, so well preserved.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,670
Fantastic! Glad you were finally able to post these pics! I kicked the server for you, it seems to have helped!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Dave-in-Turkey OP
Mild Mannered Adventurer

MARMARIS AND RHODES - GREECE (part 2)

The inside of the fortifications is a maze of narrow streets and small ally ways full of shops,cafes and bars. Although very crowded with American and European tourists you can find quite courtyards here and there away from the throbing hordes.

We also like some of the architectual detail that has survived all these centuaries.

The castles and fortifications must measure something like 2 miles by 1 mile and takes quite some time to walk around, the ancient harbour at Rhodes is also interesting because this is the site of one of THE SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD, The giant bronze statue of Collosus once stood here astride the enterence to the harbour.

The giant bronze statue was toppled by an Earthquake some Centuaries ago blocking the enterence to the harbour, the statue was cut up and melted down to make canons.

Heading back to the ferry there is time for a nap before a quick visit to Marmaris castle, I try to never drive at night in Turkey so the visit to the castle was very quick indeed.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
this is great! Thanks so far.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Keep 'em coming Dave. You've been to places I've yet to see after four years over here.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote