ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
bluebird120 OP
Farts Are Funny

Oddometer: 73
california dirtbike registration

just moved to California from the east coast and looking to buy a dirtbike and was wondering about the red and green sticker reg. if the bike has a green sticker valid until 2010 do you need to register the bike to ride it or can you ride it until it runs out. any help would be great.
bluebird120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
It would expire 12/31/2010.
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,886
get a plated dirt or dual sport bike....easier to resell. you'll soon find out there are a lot of places you can ride if you have a license plate.

don't get stuck in a sand box.

my .02
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
I think when you transfer the title, it will take care of itself, meaning the green sticker will be transferred to your name and remain good until 2010. But like Joel said, you have MANY more options if you get a dual sport!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
get a plated dirt or dual sport bike....easier to resell. you'll soon find out there are a lot of places you can ride if you have a license plate.

my .02
Agreed. Skip the "sticker" bikes and get one with a plate. Doing so will open a whole new array of riding areas.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird120
just moved to California from the east coast and looking to buy a dirtbike and was wondering about the red and green sticker reg. if the bike has a green sticker valid until 2010 do you need to register the bike to ride it or can you ride it until it runs out. any help would be great.
Some OHV parks check the registration along with the sticker, so you're better off if you register the bike. If I were to buy a dirt bike, I would register it immediately.

But I just bought a dual-sport, so no hassles with red or green stickers. And for the record, I dropped by the DMV to register it a few hours after I bought it.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
What can visitors from out of state do to be legal when riding off road in CA. Can I get a visitor sticker or something?

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
boney
Ride > Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick
What can visitors from out of state do to be legal when riding off road in CA. Can I get a visitor sticker or something?
Nonresident Permit: You will need to purchase a special Nonresident OHV Permit if you are not a California resident AND your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is not registered in your home state. Your state's plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the vehicle.

From here: BARF
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney
Nonresident Permit: You will need to purchase a special Nonresident OHV Permit if you are not a California resident AND your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is not registered in your home state. Your state's plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the vehicle.

From here: BARF
Thanks Boney, that is very helpful. How and were does one go to get to a permit and what does it cost.

As I understand it, with a license plate I can go to the riding parks just like a local?

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
boney
Ride > Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by j911brick
Thanks Boney, that is very helpful. How and were does one go to get to a permit and what does it cost.

As I understand it, with a license plate I can go to the riding parks just like a local?
I beleive what that says is "you have to get a sticker if you don't have some sort of registration from your home state."

So, in my non-legal mind, I would say that if you already have a sticker in your home state, you're good to go.

All street legal (plated) motorcycles are legal to ride on any roadway in CA, in addition to public trails in OHV areas managed by the State, Feds or BLM. However, if your bike doesn't meet the requirements of "street legal" in CA, you can still get a ticket for equipment violations.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I'm planning to buy a smallish dual sport this spring, but I many be moving to CA this summer and I want to be sure that I can title it. I read somewhere that it is very difficult to title a DRZ 400e in CA, which is one of the bike's I'm looking at. I'm also looking at KTM 400/450 exc's. If I bring an out of state title (from Colorado) would that ensure that I can get a CA title? Any advice would be appreciated.
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney
All street legal (plated) motorcycles are legal to ride on any roadway in CA, in addition to public trails in OHV areas managed by the State, Feds or BLM.
Not quite true. If you don't have a USFS approved spark arrester you won't be able to ride on some public trails and some OHV areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideimal
I'm planning to buy a smallish dual sport this spring, but I many be moving to CA this summer and I want to be sure that I can title it. I read somewhere that it is very difficult to title a DRZ 400e in CA, which is one of the bike's I'm looking at. I'm also looking at KTM 400/450 exc's. If I bring an out of state title (from Colorado) would that ensure that I can get a CA title? Any advice would be appreciated.
If the bike was not originally designed for street use you're very unlikely to get it registered in California, regardless of what you were able to do in another state.

Why not get a KTM 530EXC designed to be registered on the street? A friend of mine has one of those with an extra set of supermoto wheels - the best of both worlds.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,490
Why not have both, there is no way that a plated dual sport will perform like a green stickered open class 2 stroke (60hp @ <230 lbs.) It does limit where you go, thats why the 2nd dirt bike should be plated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

my .02

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I would buy a bike that is either already plated in Cali with a current registration or a new bike capable of being plated in Cali - EPA and Cali emissions stickers. Trying to get a used unplated bike plated in Cali can be done if the bike was plated in the home state and has the stickers, but it will be more of a hassle. To the best of my knowledge the requirement for a plate in all states is pretty much the same (lights, turn signal, etc.) except for the Cali emissions sticker. Cali does have a rule that the lights must function for a period of time without the engine running, so the bike will definitely need a battery. All of the on road equipment will be checked at the time of registration if it is a new registration in Cali, and this can sometime present diffiuclties if the bike has been used off road since some of this stuff is pretty fragile. If you get a used plated bike in Cali it is a simple matter of just transferring ownership. I have never had the DMV even look at a vehicle transfered inside the state.

Riding a plated bike with current registration from another state as a visitor in Cali should not be a problem. People drive through the state all the time with out of state plates.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox
Why not have both, there is no way that a plated dual sport will perform like a green stickered open class 2 stroke (60hp @ <230 lbs.) It does limit where you go, thats why the 2nd dirt bike should be plated.
wath 2 stroke you talking abouth 60hp ??

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote