Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #166
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran
More of it:

When I remarked, "...take off all your gear...". I really meant 'naked'.

One of the many pleasures of biking is the wide variety of experience. Street riders, commuters, track riders of all kinds, dirt riders of all kinds sometimes have a very narrow window of experience per rider.

Occasionally, a biker may see a video clip of a rider wearing only boots, gloves, and a helmet. Great fun and way past most bikers' idea of a good time.

Try it on some lonely road sometime. Try it with the SO riding pillion. Try it riding pillion yourself. Try it on the night of a brilliant full moon without turning on the headlight.

Long before 'On Any Sunday' came out, I was a biker seeking a wide range of experiance. Malcom just cemented the idea of a rider participating as widely as possible. I wonder if Malcom spends/spent much time on pavement? Valentino Rossi remarks in "Faster" that he doesn't ride on the street because it is "too dangerous". Sure, he is a great motorcycle racer in my book too. But he loses my affinity because he doesn't have a wide range of experiance. Grodsky is neither a great dirt rider nor a great pavement racer. But Larry lived in the same biking universe that I do. Nobody had more respect for him than I do. I hung on everything that he ever wrote because it pertained to a large portion of my experiance. I got to meet him only once, briefly. And I sent him one long email that got no response.

ATGATT is, at best, a statisical crapshoot. My gear has saved me plenty. And I have the scars to show when I wasn't wearing it along with the scars to show when I was. And I have plenty of scars to show when bikes were not part of the fun.

Asimov proposed his three laws of robotics. An idea that I twisted into my three laws for determining whether or not I am actually living my life at the moment. Asssooommming that my activity of the moment is actually worthwhile (a whole nother problem): 1) Is my attention fully engaged? 2) Am I having fun? 3) Is it dangerous?

Outside Reading: search Abraham Maslow, Peak Experiance
Valentino lives in Italy... I've talked to a few people, my brother included, who have driven/ridden Italy... Valentino may be justified in his opinion.

Also pardon me for saying your essay sounds like a wad of pooh that a lot of "bikers" (yes the term is in quotes) use to "justify" their choices. I've been there and done that, just short of riding in my tighty whities or less, to think most of what you say is irrelevant for most riders. Sounds more like what I'd imagine some Thoreau yearnings around Walden Pond would be had he been a rider riding the back roads there if there are any.

At this point in time I've had enough bugs sting my face, not to mention an actual bee that got in the MX helmet, that I have no desire to go without at least the MX full face. I take it when hit with debris on my arms, but still have had bruises and even some actual physical damage from rocks tossed by the guy in front of me. Some gear choices come about courtesy of experience. I've had my goggles and helmet splatter or get hit by bugs and crap that would be far more likely to make me want to quit than any gear would. If some new riders don't like riding with the gear and don't try without they were never going to handle it. The gear didn't stop them, they stopped themselves, otherwise they'd do what works for them... I did.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 02-01-2009 at 04:38 PM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #167
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Yep. I have heard stories and seen some video of traffic in Italy. Rossi's perspective is not necessarily out of line. Still, a lot of riding gets done there.

I have always believed that one man's poop is another's holy scripture and yet another's reasoned diatribe. Ain't bikin' grand!?

I'm still a opinionated pile of contradictions. Probably will remain so right to the bitter end. If a guy posts that ATGATT takes some joy out of the ride, I can empathize with that.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #168
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran
Yep. I have heard stories and seen some video of traffic in Italy. Rossi's perspective is not necessarily out of line. Still, a lot of riding gets done there.

I have always believed that one man's poop is another's holy scripture and yet another's reasoned diatribe. Ain't bikin' grand!?

I'm still a opinionated pile of contradictions. Probably will remain so right to the bitter end. If a guy posts that ATGATT takes some joy out of the ride, I can empathize with that.
Well, I'll give you credit for a relatively eloquent "poop", though. I just never get into the justification thing. If you don't do ATGATT that is a choice based on injury risk assessment - should you crash. Clearly the least risk of injury - should you crash - is to do the stuff, risk of injury - should you crash - increases with each item removed. Obviously the highest risk of injury that is most difficult to heal - should you crash - is when the helmet is discarded.

There is little, if any, good rationalization for not wearing ATGATT. The only "good" rationalization was from Rollie Free and he was riding in some very controlled conditions, now wasn't he. Any others should simply suck it up and say "I don't wear {insert item name here} because I just don't want to." That is sufficient. After all, if it is within the law they are free to do so.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #169
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
I have heard GAY men say ATGATT takes all the fun out of riding. They said it does not feel the same with gear on. Some say they have ridden for years with no proplems or ill effects. They say they would rather take the risk than wear the protective gear. They say mind your own business it is a personal choice. Many "real men" say it is a cultrual thing and refuse to wear the gear. Then when they got AIDS they wanted to hide it. Then they wanted everyone to give them sympathy, pay their bills and give them a safe place to live out their life. Then they wanted others to fund research to find a cure. Many even want to adopt so they can pass on their traditions. Then they die and blame others. And now many wear a pink or rainbow ribbon to ward off the evil spirits. Ride free and take your chances my friend or gear up to ride another day. I know what I choose to do!
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #170
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Butt
I have heard GAY men say ATGATT takes all the fun out of riding. They said it does not feel the same with gear on. Some say they have ridden for years with no proplems or ill effects. They say they would rather take the risk than wear the protective gear. They say mind your own business it is a personal choice. Many "real men" say it is a cultrual thing and refuse to wear the gear. Then when they got AIDS they wanted to hide it. Then they wanted everyone to give them sympathy, pay their bills and give them a safe place to live out their life. Then they wanted others to fund research to find a cure. Many even want to adopt so they can pass on their traditions. Then they die and blame others. And now many wear a pink or rainbow ribbon to ward off the evil spirits. Ride free and take your chances my friend or gear up to ride another day. I know what I choose to do!
So I take it you plan to quit such an unsafe act?

The revised version:

I have heard bikers say driving cages takes all the fun out of transportation. They said it does not feel the same inside a car. Some say they have ridden for years with no proplems or ill effects. They say they would rather take the risk than be enclosed in a protective shell. They say mind your own business it is a personal choice. Many "real men" say it is a cultrual (sic) thing and refuse to drive a car. Then when they got injured they wanted to blame everything else. Then they wanted everyone to give them sympathy, pay their bills and give them a safe place to live out their life. Then they wanted others to fund research to find a cure, like driver education. Many even want to influence new riders so they can pass on their traditions. Then they die and blame others. And now many wear a bright helmet and coat along with bells to ward off the evil spirits. Ride free and take your chances my friend or get in a car to drive another day. I know what I choose to do!

The logic dictates that you quit...

not to mention your knee jerk comment and lack of knowledge when it comes to adoptions. By your logic all children from straight homes should never be gay, by passing on the hetero tradition. Yeah, that works... kids always are just like their parents now aren't they.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 05:28 AM
Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #171
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Mark before we get kicked to the basement I am soooooooooooo sorry if I said something that offended. Too many people take this stuff serious. I do not care what you wear or what you do or who you do it with. Just don't take me out with you.
And what logic dictates I quit what unsafe act.

I think more people die from being a couch potato than riding a bike.
( I think that being obease and inactive cause many health and medical proplems )

So with that said I think your revision was funny. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #172
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,676
My .02

I broke my Medial Tibial Plateau Sat before last (1-24-09). 6 to 8 weeks in

a brace, non weight bearing ( ), and I'll be right as rain.

It was a slowish tip over to the left on a muddy trail. As I went down, my

left foot landed on the far side of a rut with my butt on the near side. My leg

was now a bridge. A ~315lb XR-Rs handlebars came straight down on my knee

with nothing under my leg to support the weight.

I'm 100% sure that without these

I would have pretty much destroyed my knee.

I'm going to continue to wear the best stuff I can get my hands on.

BTW, the break is non-displaced and I was able to ride the ~40 miles home.

It's on video if anyone wants to see it.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #173
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,421
This is a good ATGATT thread

Take that stuff to the basement. Mark... Rooster butt. Please delete or edit your your posts back in line with the thread theme. There are many enjoying this one, I would hate to see it booted to Jo Momma
Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #174
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Mark sometimes people misunderstand what I am saying. You included. Do you think that SNL skits are real?
The only point of my message is that it does not matter what the hobby you have or lifestyle you lead there are people on both sides of the fence. Some for it and some against it. Both sides believe they are right or at least have a good reason behind their actions. I subustated the gay live style and then you changed my "skit" to cages Vs motorcycles. You could have also changed it to child beauty pageants or what ever you want. This thread was and is about ATGATT not gay rights, that goes in the basement, I think. So once again, because I am a member, my wife is a member and my son is a member of the asphalt surfing association the choice is simple.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #175
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
There Are A Whole Lot Of People That Are In Boxes In The Ground That Thought Atgatt Was A Bad Idea!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #176
DryDropper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
There Are A Whole Lot Of People That Are In Boxes In The Ground That Thought Atgatt Was A Bad Idea!
If you believe road rash will kill you, that pretty much explains why you feel a need to put racing leathers on to move your bike back in the garage after washing it.

Really, I don't understand why people, who are so worried about getting hurt, even ride motorcycles.
DryDropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #177
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
What's ATGATT?????

Oh, that's Atgatt!

My knee protectors stayed at home for a short test ride. Now I have a broken knee cap.
Here are a few details.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420719
Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #178
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Take that stuff to the basement. Mark... Rooster butt. Please delete or edit your your posts back in line with the thread theme. There are many enjoying this one, I would hate to see it booted to Jo Momma
Ok, I'll nuke it or change it... just for you...

I'd hate to upset anyone who's as even keeled as you...

Mark - klx678
Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #179
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
A lot too that thought it was a great idea...

It's just as much in how you ride as it is in what you wear.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #180
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryDropper
If you believe road rash will kill you, that pretty much explains why you feel a need to put racing leathers on to move your bike back in the garage after washing it.

Really, I don't understand why people, who are so worried about getting hurt, even ride motorcycles.

never said i was worried about getting hurt-totaled my 09 f650 gs right after getting it by hitting a deer at 70mph got a new 1 less than a month later, but i know if i wasn't atgatt i would have been in a lot worse shape!! i've seen too many friends hurt badly cause they went just down the block or something else like that with out all the gear and were hurt badly!!!! Ever hear of murphys law?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote