Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,964
ATGATT here, even for the commute to work. If anything, it gives me an excuse to take a slight detour (like home via NY or NH) when the work day is over.

I carry a digital SLR in my tankbag and don't bother composing carefully when taking those spontaneous shots. That's what wide angle is for. I shoot RAW and wide, and crop later at home.

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!

Oddometer: 1,051
I feel the same way about sex. It's like jeeeeez, I gotta take all my damn clothes off first, and sometimes I have a belt on, it sucks. That's why I finally just gave it up. All the fun was gone after having to go through all that shit.

Seriously dude, maybe your problem is that your rides are too boring. When I'm getting my gear on I'm getting all fired up inside. It's like Stallone in "Over the Top" when he turns his hat around - "it's like a switch". Sometimes I get a chubby. But maybe that's just me.

"some people here are just assholes that will make a fuss about anything. no matter what the anything is.

you'll figure them out if you hang around long enough." - Cyberdos
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl
How long does it take to put on pants, a jacket, gloves and a brain bucket?

here buckets are the law so i'm wearing one anyways, takes me slightly longer than doing up a seat belt to put mine on.

pants and jacket slip on

gotta wear footwear (i like having toes) so I may as well wear boots that are good for motorcycling.

So really is less than 5 minutes out of your day that much? You can do that while the bike warms up. and if gearing up takes more than 5 minutes who dresses you in the morning?
Well someone must dress me in the mornings.
I ride everyday. 5 minutes in the house then off to the garage, open the lockers and boots back off overpants on boots back on. Jacket easy, neck gaiter, baklava (sp), helmet, gloves. So yeah it can get over 5 minutes of time especially in the cold months.
The tiring part of it is the repetition for me, so I try to use two or three setups. Even changing helmet on different days so it doesn't get too repetitive. Would I ride without it? No, I feel naked without it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #19
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
You know the scene in every adventure movie when they're gearing up to kick ass? Strapping on knives, loading shotguns, slinging grenades, click, clack, ka-chunk? Same deal with putting on your riding armor -- you're gearing up to kick ass and take names...
+1

Though I aint no kool-aid sipper, I can only afford one nice helmet, gloves, leather jacket, jeans, and work boots (unless Im riding offroad, which then I wear the MX boots).
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?

Very simply put - Never, No way.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #21
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgo
Seriously dude, maybe your problem is that your rides are too boring. When I'm getting my gear on I'm getting all fired up inside. It's like Stallone in "Over the Top" when he turns his hat around - "it's like a switch". Sometimes I get a chubby. But maybe that's just me.
Thats a really good point! I know all about the boring ass straight road commute rides in traffic that is trying to kill you. But its still worth it!

ha, or like the red bandana - if you see it, you're already dead!
Old 01-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #22
mugwump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
When I was young I was lucky enough to crash, more than once, without all the cool gear that is available. I now find the time to gear up. Why? Like I said I was lucky and only had to learn about debridement. Some of my friend were far less fortunate.

It's a personal choice now as far as I'm concerned. However I would ask you to take the car whenever you don't feel like dressing up. At least make that a rule.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #23
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I know I am guilty of not always wearing my riding pants or moto boots when i commute, but I always wear a helmet/jacket/gloves/work style boots. I commute to school (I am a non-tradtional student) and have no where at school to store gear so as it as I have to carry my jacket around all day along with my books.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #24
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
Not yet and I hope I never do.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #25
Willbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
I used to, but after just a short time of riding with the increased confidence ATTGAT gives me I can't go without it. I ran my dad's cruiser down the road the other day for a test ride. I had caged it to his place so I had no gear. The ride was so slow and tedious without gear that it was utterly unenjoyable. Maybe it's just me, but I find riding a less expensive bike closer to it's and my limits a lot more fun. Wearing all the gear and riding secluded areas makes this posible. (for me at least)
Willbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #26
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
There's nothing like being ATGATT when you go down! iIwent down semi hard 2x while chasing a bunch of thumpers and 2 strokes on my 950ADV offroad in the Catskills and basically just bounced up off the ground, picked up my bike and continued on without so much as a bruise.
Plus you are fully armored for physical combat (unless you're going to catch a round) should the need arise.
I went down at 50mph on a Honda MB5 in a t shirt and jeans when i was 16 and still carry the scars 25 yrs later. Been ATGATT ever since!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #27
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
I commute 2-3 times per week to the office (17miles) year around, never had a second thought about NOT putting on ATGATT...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Chicks dig scars
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #29
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
I understand the point of the OP. It's like sex with a condom - you know it would be more fun and feel better without, but it's just not as safe.
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #30
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
There are times where I am in a hurry, I am already late, the kids are milling around and it is just a madhouse. I just need to get OUT. So I end up driving to the store or whatever. So yeah, sometimes I pitch the ride because gearing up can be a bother.

BUT, riding is something I enjoy, and I wouldn't ride without my gear anymore than an astronaut would take a spacewalk without a suit, or a fighter pilot would get in his plane without a g-suit. Its just the right thing to wear.

When life isn't a hurry, I like gearing up. It reminds me of putting on clothing in a dojo for martial arts practice. Its a time for meditation and consideration. Its a ritual that puts me into a different mind-set. Off come the clothes of the everyday, the father, the husband, let the mind release the worries of the day. Put on the gi, become the warrior who is aware of everything and lets no detail slip by. Deep drink of relaxing and calmness. And then, as another poster comment, "go kick some ass".
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote