Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
There are times where I am in a hurry, I am already late, the kids are milling around and it is just a madhouse. I just need to get OUT. So I end up driving to the store or whatever. So yeah, sometimes I pitch the ride because gearing up can be a bother.

BUT, riding is something I enjoy, and I wouldn't ride without my gear anymore than an astronaut would take a spacewalk without a suit, or a fighter pilot would get in his plane without a g-suit. Its just the right thing to wear.

When life isn't a hurry, I like gearing up. It reminds me of putting on clothing in a dojo for martial arts practice. Its a time for meditation and consideration. Its a ritual that puts me into a different mind-set. Off come the clothes of the everyday, the father, the husband, let the mind release the worries of the day. Put on the gi, become the warrior who is aware of everything and lets no detail slip by. Deep drink of relaxing and calmness. And then, as another poster comment, "go kick some ass".
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #32
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
No, but I don't go ATGATT either. I wear jacket, gloves, helmet and some form of boot. But, I don't have riding pants. For some reason, that's the point where it gets annoying to me unless I'm riding off-road.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #33
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,902
Just had this talk with a buddy out in the shop...
I gave him shit for his helmut and shorts etc. gear that he shows up in...
He said that comfort is more important!
I allways wear gloves and a jacket and boots and helmut!
leather or kevlar or just jeans for the legs.. Never a t-shirt etc.....

OK, my buddy and I went to TGIF to have a dinner and drink a couple of years ago from a motel in SD.. We threw our legs over the bikes and drove maybe 1/2 mile without helmut etc. We both commented on how wrong it felt really kinda freaked us out!

You make your decision and you live with it!

FYI my wife had a truck left turn in front of her nearly 15 years ago after the driver let me pass.... She was in full leathers and helmut etc...
Still broke her pelvis in 3 places 4 broken ribs, lazerated liver, collapsed lung, compound fracture of the elbow and severed ulner nerve, crushed wrist etc, etc..... 3 plus months later she was out of the wheel chair!
She has done 1/2 marathons since Great doctors!
But, without ATGATT she would have been dead or nearly so1
Well she was nearly so...
I use her helmut in my classes as a safety prop!

Hey, worship whatever you want and dress however you want!
If you don't ride ATGATT your insurance should be 5 times what mine is!
Pay for the risk/privalage
Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #34
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared
Just had this talk with a buddy out in the shop...
I gave him shit for his helmut and shorts etc. gear that he shows up in...
He said that comfort is more important!
I allways wear gloves and a jacket and boots and helmut!
leather or kevlar or just jeans for the legs.. Never a t-shirt etc.....

OK, my buddy and I went to TGIF to have a dinner and drink a couple of years ago from a motel in SD.. We threw our legs over the bikes and drove maybe 1/2 mile without helmut etc. We both commented on how wrong it felt really kinda freaked us out!

You make your decision and you live with it!

FYI my wife had a truck left turn in front of her nearly 15 years ago after the driver let me pass.... She was in full leathers and helmut etc...
Still broke her pelvis in 3 places 4 broken ribs, lazerated liver, collapsed lung, compound fracture of the elbow and severed ulner nerve, crushed wrist etc, etc..... 3 plus months later she was out of the wheel chair!
She has done 1/2 marathons since Great doctors!
But, without ATGATT she would have been dead or nearly so1
Well she was nearly so...
I use her helmut in my classes as a safety prop!

Hey, worship whatever you want and dress however you want!
If you don't ride ATGATT your insurance should be 5 times what mine is!
Pay for the risk/privalage
You can die with gear, too, you know. I just don't like when people think they can ride riskier because they are geared up.
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #35
arres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
As long as my intent is to "go for a ride," it doesn't bother me, but it's probably the reason I don't commute to work by motorcycle. The time it takes to get dressed and undressed is almost as long as the commute.
+1

arres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #36
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I am not 100% ATTGAT. But I am 100% in gear that goes on and off in a hurry. Since it takes maybe two minutes to pull on what I consider to be the minimum acceptable amount of gear, it doesn't affect my fun in the least. Being concerned about road rash or smacking my head on pavement does affect my ability to relax and have fun.

So I never ride without a full face helmet, armored jacket, jeans, knee pads, boots and gloves. The knee pads and gloves fit inside my helmet so they aren't a PITA when I get somewhere. The jacket is a hassle in warm weather. But there is just no way around wearing one for me. So I just throw it over the bike and hope nobody wants it or I carry it around.

So far I have walked away from every crash and never experienced the joy of road rash. I admit that some of that was luck. But then again, you tend to make your own luck. I was geared up every time I went down hard and when I got hit by a car. There is no doubt in my mind that I would be dead without gear. I love to ride but I don't like getting hurt. So no gear = no fun.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #37
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
You can die with gear, too, you know. I just don't like when people think they can ride riskier because they are geared up.
Yup, the wife came near to death with full gear.
No part of my post said that I would ride "riskier" with or without gear!

Of course if you choose to push it a bit gear seems like a smart choice.

And, it isn't the diein' type crash I worry about. It is the slide down the road for a bit thing.... Somebody takes you to the hospital for some puttin back together or you get up and say damn....now I need to buy new leathers (etc.) and a helmut.

Buddy hit a dear going 60 at night (came from behind a row of pines)
T-boned it it died right there on the road! His bike (totaled) slid another 150 yards and he was another 30+ yards down the road.
Pretty mush destroyed his leather jacket, chaps, boots, gloves, and helmut.
He didn't have a scratch on him and broke his collar bone.

Coulda killed him but didn't. Lookin' at the gear after I don't know where they would have found skin to graft into the places that would have needed it. Not to mention the probable head trauma.

Both this and my wifes accident were people just riding. Not pushing any limit or drinking etc.

Gear is cuz ya just don't know when shit may happen.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #38
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Once and a while I feel the burden of suiting up for battle, but I've lived to enjoy another day in the saddle because of it.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #39
Gaereth
Walking...

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
I guess I have never met anyone like that.

I have met tons that won't ride without gear, I have met quite a few that wouldn't move their bike around the driveway without a helmet on...but I haven't ever met anyone who thought the gear 'allowed' them to ride riskier.

In my estimation, these folks you are speaking of ride 'riskier' no matter what and assuage that little voice in their head by telling others that's what they have the gear for.

"I can ride 'riskier' because I wear gear" is simply a nice little clue that the person that said it is an idiot and should be avoided at all costs. If you find yourself surrounded by such folks, or even just have a smattering of such people around you....I would reevaluate my circle of riding buddies.
Gaereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #40
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #41
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaereth

I have met tons that won't ride without gear, I have met quite a few that wouldn't move their bike around the driveway without a helmet on...but I haven't ever met anyone who thought the gear 'allowed' them to ride riskier.

In my estimation, these folks you are speaking of ride 'riskier' no matter what and assuage that little voice in their head by telling others that's what they have the gear for.

"I can ride 'riskier' because I wear gear" is simply a nice little clue that the person that said it is an idiot and should be avoided at all costs. If you find yourself surrounded by such folks, or even just have a smattering of such people around you....I would reevaluate my circle of riding buddies.
+1 buddy
If I was thinking better I might have said just that
Old 01-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #42
CruisnGrrl
Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose@yahoo.com
Chicks dig scars
We do? Why don't we see more disfigured models and movie stars?

My RFS Page
CruisnGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #43
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Get better gear if it bugs you. One of the big upsides to drinking the Aerostich Kool-Aid is that you can get in and out of the suit in about 3.2 seconds. If you can afford one, they're said to be the bee's knees for commuters.

I dunno -- I don't really think about it. Some mornings I don't feel like showering or brushing my teeth, but it's sort of just automatic and part of what you have to do to be a functioning human. Same for gearing up.

I find that I'm a lot more comfortable in proper gear, so it's well worth it even for short trips. A lot of the "biker bros" around here make cracks about my helmet and gear, but they tend to shut up when I happily mention I just rode 300 miles before lunch in complete comfort -- you simply can't do that in a black t-shirt and do-rag.

I also find that the few seconds it takes to put on the gear are also useful for getting into the proper attentive/paranoid/hyper-alert state of mind you need on a bike. When the helmet slides over my head, something wakes up in my brain.

You know the scene in every adventure movie when they're gearing up to kick ass? Strapping on knives, loading shotguns, slinging grenades, click, clack, ka-chunk? Same deal with putting on your riding armor -- you're gearing up to kick ass and take names...
+ 1 for everything said here.

In particular, getting into my 2-piece Roadcrafter takes a minute or less -- time spent that you would really appreciate during a short airborne trip between leaving the saddle and hitting the ground. Don't worry about how I know this, just trust me...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
papaj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
For me it's a no brainer, I live in the PNW and I would be wearing a jacket anyway, just because of the likelihood of rain, if the one I wear riding has armor so much the better. The armored pants and riding boots take an extra minute to put on and the helmet is law. No gear no ride.
papaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #45
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaereth

The men I ride with don't think that way. But if you read some internet forums, you'll see what I'm talking about. To say these folks don't exist is putting your head in the sand. I find it humorous that you tried to twist my post into something about my judgment and those I ride with
3power is offline   Reply With Quote