Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #46
hugerider
Taking the long way home.

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
The men I ride with don't think that way. But if you read some internet forums, you'll see what I'm talking about. To say these folks don't exist is putting your head in the sand. I find it humorous that you tried to twist my post into something about my judgment and those I ride with
I'm on a number of forums (far too many some would say ;)), and I have never seen a post where someone claimed to take bigger risks when fully geared up. The argument is an assumption made by those who don't believe that gear helps.

People say the same thing about seatbelts. "If you wear a seatbelt, you take bigger risks on the road. I don't wear a seatbelt and drive far more conservatively." In other words "I'm safer when I don't use safety gear."

If someone ever tells you that they will take greater risks because they are geared up, they're an asshole.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #47
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider
If someone ever tells you that they will take greater risks because they are geared up, they're an asshole.
From one asshole to another you sound confused.

Of course people ride more aggressively when geared up. I know I do. I will gladly be put in the asshole category. (what's my number?)

That is just plain and simple truth. If you don't choose to believe it then you are ignorant of the truth.

It may not apply to you personally but I would say it does to most.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-05-2009 at 04:53 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #48
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider
I'm on a number of forums (far too many some would say ;)), and I have never seen a post where someone claimed to take bigger risks when fully geared up. The argument is an assumption made by those who don't believe that gear helps.

People say the same thing about seatbelts. "If you wear a seatbelt, you take bigger risks on the road. I don't wear a seatbelt and drive far more conservatively." In other words "I'm safer when I don't use safety gear."

If you HAD to ride without gear . . . would you ride at your normal intensity and pace, or would you slow it down a bit?
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #49
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
I also find that the few seconds it takes to put on the gear are also useful for getting into the proper attentive/paranoid/hyper-alert state of mind you need on a bike. When the helmet slides over my head, something wakes up in my brain.

+1
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #50
apeirce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl
We do? Why don't we see more disfigured models and movie stars?
Its a joke n00b.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #51
apeirce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaereth
"I can ride 'riskier' because I wear gear" is simply a nice little clue that the person that said it is an idiot and should be avoided at all costs. If you find yourself surrounded by such folks, or even just have a smattering of such people around you....I would reevaluate my circle of riding buddies.
Disagree, when in street gear and I take a dirt road or trail I take it a bit slower than if I'm in full on MX gear and boots. While MX boots aren't as comfortable, they will keep your feet/ankles from being beat up so much.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #52
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
One of my sons-in-law is an orthopedic surgeon who takes a lot of call. Does amputations and next of kin notifications on a lot of motorcycle accident victims. Riders without gear are referred to as donors.

I made the family a promise when I started riding again after 40 years off a bike = ATGATT. I also have 3 grandsons who pay special attention to what the old fart is wearing when he rides. I may have looked a little wierd when I was riding Harley's, but I don't really give a shit about that. I'm old and I don't bounce so good anymore.

Does anyone make an over helmet?

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #53
Gaereth
Walking...

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
The men I ride with don't think that way. But if you read some internet forums, you'll see what I'm talking about. To say these folks don't exist is putting your head in the sand. I find it humorous that you tried to twist my post into something about my judgment and those I ride with
ahh..the internet. I can find thousands of idiots going about their idiot business...then posting it on youtube.

But I seldom see those type of posts here and the other places I like to go. Perhaps it is where I associate with others?

Are there people like that? Of course.

In the course of my preferred reading and research do I see much or any of it? No.

More importantly, do I know anyone personally like that? No.

I tend to look at this particular thread as a discussion about street riding, or at the most adventure riding, so I can understand that a dirt rider might feel differently.
Gaereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #54
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaereth

Are there people like that? Of course.
So you agree. Now stop arguing :-)
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #55
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I have different types of gear for different riding. You will almost never see me in leathers on the street. The track, for sure, but on the street I've got the textile gear. It's more versatile, and more confortable. I do have some mesh-tex for those REALLY bad days, but TBH, my Clover textiel jacket without the liner in is plenty cool on even hot days, with the vents open and bike moving.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #56
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
The ONLY time in several years that I didn't have gloves on, you guessed it, I did a 55mph getoff. I couldn't put my hands in my pockets for weeks.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #57
hugerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
From one asshole to another you sound like an idiot.

Of course people ride more aggressively when geared up. I know I do. I will gladly be put in the asshole category. (what's my number?)

That is just plain and simple truth. If you don't choose to believe it then you are ignorant of the truth.

It may not apply to you personally but I would say it does to most.
I agree with you.

I clearly wasn't thinking too hard about what I wrote. C'est la vie.

I had been thinking of the "I take fewer chances with less gear, ergo, I am safer than a geared up rider" canard that I read so often. I just worded it poorly.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #58
hugerider

Quote:
If you HAD to ride without gear . . . would you ride at your normal intensity and pace, or would you slow it down a bit?
Good question.

I honestly don't think that my riding style would be noticeably different. It's hard to say. I would probably maintain my normal intensity and pace. Even with gear on I do my damnedest to not get hit by cars and\or fall down. I don't think that going slower would necessarily make my rides safer.

BTW, I am only thinking in terms of street riding here. It might be different off road with the much higher chance of a get-off. I'd probably go slower off road.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #59
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
OK, I'll take the bait.

Even though I do know better and have tons of good gear (Aerostich Darien, several Arai FFs, Motoport Kevlar, leather track gear, etc...) I have to admit that I REALLY enjoy riding without a helmet. I'll even ride over to MT and ID solely for the purpose of riding sans helmet.

I have no idea why but riding without a helmet really floats my boat and is that much more fun than riding with. I ride half helmet where legally required but I'll stop aat the border and take even my haldf helmet off. And it's not that I want to be a risk taker, I just really enjoy riding that much more without a helmet.

On my K1100RS I always ride with a FF because it's a full on wind blast.

I wouldn't say that I purposefully ride riskier with a helmet but I do ride less riskier riding without a helmet. I know that I'm more exposed and I ride slower because I have no absolutely desire to take a bird strike without a FF on. I remember one day doing "a good clip" along Lake Roosevelt in AZ w/o a helmet and though I really didn't get that close, one bird was close enough to make me reoconsider how fast I ride w/o a helmet so when I ride w/o a helmet it's more about the ride vs. the riding and I do take it easier.

And even though I don't always have a helemt on, I always have at least Draggin Jean and a good leather mesh jacket. ATGATT from the neck down.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #60
curbjumper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,159
I did a trip from Edmonton to Lake City, Colorado in August, wearing two piece leathers- I switched to jeans for one day in Wyoming and Idaho when it was really hot- but I don't feel safe without full gear.
I coasted down the West side of Logan Pass helmetless just because I could- but I felt dirty after...

At work motorcycles get the prime parking spots- and since it's a motorcycle related work place people are always wandering around clad in motorcycle gear.
So unlike some workplaces that require changing clothes and have crappy parking spots- it makes the commute worth while and I don't drive the car (van) from the end of Feb until (this year) December.

I have a ballistic jacket and a leather one, two pairs of leather (road race style) pants, and three pairs of boots.
Several helmets including a flip-up and an open face- full fingered gloves, 3 pairs.

BUT! I can only wear one helmet, jacket, pair of pants- at a time- and when I plant myself I want to be dressed for it.
I used to wear the open face with my old Triumph, or when teaching riding courses so the students could see me and hear me- but since buying a higher quality full-face helmet I seldom take it off.

The leather jacket is good for hot days as well- but I need cooler pants.

So hot weather pants are next on the list- although living in Canada means winter and no riding for a couple or 3 months of the year- it also means that for most of the summer it's not too hot to wear full gear.
curbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote