eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Full gear all the time. No question.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #77
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
When I feel that way, I time it. It takes less than 2 minutes to put on all of my gear. Seems worth it to me.
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #78
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
I would never go without all my gear, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a hassle sometimes. There's times I don't want to spend more money on it, or to pile on the gear for a short trip, peel it on or off at a restaurant or store, etc.

But, I wear it and will continue to do so. No alternative, really.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #79
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,523
ATGATT

I like playing "dress-up."

Madcap Marko
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #80
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
I would never go without all my gear, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a hassle sometimes. There's times I don't want to spend more money on it, or to pile on the gear for a short trip, peel it on or off at a restaurant or store, etc.

But, I wear it and will continue to do so. No alternative, really.
You nailed it. No one in this thread is not advocating ATGATT, but we're just venting about the *sometimes* hassle of it
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #81
Capt_Aubrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Don't leave home without it

A few thoughts:

1. Putting on the gear doesn't make me reckless; for me it is a tangible reminder of the risks involved and starts the process of getting in the right mindset before getting on the bike.

2. I'm a serious partaker of the Aerostich kool-aid: Roadcrafter two-piece, Combat Tourer boots, Shoei full-face, Hurd Steve gloves. All of it, every time, or I don't get on the bike.

3. Given #2 above, my only challenge is that at 6' 7", my Roadcrafter takes up a lot of room -- there isn't a top box on the planet big enough to store it in (that will fit on my KLR) so I have to either wear it or find a place to store it at my destination. This is not usually a problem (I've taken it off and stashed it in the shopping cart), but I take the cage when I think it will be more trouble than it's worth.

In my dreams I'd like a bigger gear wardrobe -- maybe a Darien for the colder weather, the mesh Kevlar gear from Motosport (?) for the summer. But the Roadcrafter handles temperature and weather extremes pretty well, so I live with it.

For me, the bottom line is that I'd hate to have to explain to my wife and kids, from the hospital bed, why I got all banged up because I couldn't be bothered to take 2-3 minutes to put the gear on.
--
Mark
Capt_Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #82
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
ATGATT takes the fun out of riding?

For my money a feeling of safety and security on my motorcycle adds to the fun.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #83
fritzthecat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Well, there are a few issues with ATGATT for me. One the initial pre-ride suitup and then the actual ride.

If I want a burger I can grab the carkeys, my jacket and I'm gone. If I take the bike I have to change into long pants, put on boots, helmet and gloves. Then uncover the bike and unlock the chain. Warm up the motor. Than unsuit all the gear once I'm back. That is a lot of hassle for a 10 minute run to BK.

During the ride I often wonder how the ride would b without all the gear. I mean it's a nice day, wind is blowing in my face, birds singing etc and here I am in my tall leather boots, armored pants, armored jacket, leather gloves and full helmet. It's like going to the beach wearing coveralls and a overcoat along with an umbrella.

Not that I would ride without teh gear but sometimes it does take away from the 'freedom of the road' experience.

Fritz
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #84
Capt_Aubrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thinking about this some more...

Yeah, the gear can be a hassle -- one that I think is worth the trouble, but a hassle nonetheless.

On the front end, putting on the suit is (almost literally) a snap. The Roadcrafter goes on very quickly. Worse are the boots -- wrestling the pant leg over them is almost enough to make me take the cage. Whining, for sure. Dress pants with a straight leg do fine, but the Wrangler 13MWZ's, with their cowboy boot tapered leg, need silicone -- or something -- to get them over the boot. And I have skinny calves. May need to start buying Carhartt or other jeans with a wider, boot-cut leg.

Sometimes I'll wimp out and take the cage because I don't want to deal with the suit at the destination. But if I challenge myself a bit and just go, I find that most often some accommodation can be made. I've gone to business lunches at nice restaurants, and the host/ess will find a place to stash the suit while I eat. Hospital nurses offer to keep the suit at the nursing station (probably so the dirty suit doesn't go into the patient's room). Other offices (doctor, professional, etc.) usually have a nice receptionist that will find a temporary home for it. Eight times out of ten I don't even have to ask. For the other two, a polite request is usually met with a favorable response.

The only challenge is running errands and shopping. I now just take the suit off and stash it in the cart for the duration. This has had the unintended consequence -- and benefit -- of changing my shopping choices. Rather than take the suit off at Home Depot, I just wear it into the local Ace Hardware -- where several employees are always ready to help me find what I need right away, get it, and get out the door in a hurry. Same thing for the quick food runs.

The last hurdle is government offices. Standing in line at the post office with the suit on is a bit of a drag, so I take it off, park in a corner somewhere where I can keep an eye on it, and go about my business. No complaints so far. Same thing at the public library. Other government offices are less accomodating, so I just wear it. The good news is that I don't have to visit them very often.

It's possible to have some fun with this. Two Saturday's a month, more or less, the local Harley dealer has free food for lunch -- hot dogs, burgers, etc. If I'm in the neighborhood and hungry, I'll stop by -- in my flaming hi-viz yellow Roadcrafter on my KLR. The looks and reaction I get from their normal clientele are truly priceless.

The only problem I haven't been able to solve is how to deal with the suit if I want to park the bike at, for example, a trailhead where I want to hike. Given what I spent on the suit -- it's a semi-custom job -- I'd like to secure it and cover it somehow. Still working on that one.

I think the hassle factor, if there really is one, is largely in my head.
--
Mark
Capt_Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #85
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
The gear up process is part of the fun for me. Gearing up for me includes all protective gear and even ear plugs every time I climb on the bike.

On my M-F commute days I gear up some days 5 different times. Going to work, going to the gym from work at lunch, going back to work from the gym, going to teach at night and going home from teaching.

Taking a car because I don’t have to gear up is not part of the equation.

I take my time, and enjoy and process
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #86
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
I like wearing all the gear.....putting it on is almost like a mental preparation for the ride. Plus I enjoy all the stupid questions I get asked by people who are riding in a T shirt, shorts, and sandals. I usually ask them what kind of flowers they like so when they are in the hospital recovering from head to toe road rash I can stop by and say na na na na

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #87
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
I like wearing all the gear.....putting it on is almost like a mental preparation for the ride. Plus I enjoy all the stupid questions I get asked by people who are riding in a T shirt, shorts, and sandals....
+1 on that
lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #88
outpostbabu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Now if you're not interested in the whole getup with expensive helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants, and boots you're not without your options:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28539595/

KANO, Nigeria - Police in Nigeria have arrested scores of motorcycle taxi riders with dried fruit shells, pots or pieces of rubber tire tied to their heads with string to avoid a new law requiring them to wear helmets.

Me, I'll stick to ATGATT because the short time it takes to put it on can protect you from a really long time in a hospital, or worse, a coffin.
outpostbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #89
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek
i've worked a bunch of mc wrecks and have wrecked as well. i left the e.r. without a scratch to show for my stupidity(i was riding beyond my skill level). smacked my head, shoulder, brused ribs, very swollen ankle, sore hip. i was wearing full on gear. still, i was out of work for a week. there would have been a lot of road rash had i been not wearing gear. i will not ride without it.

the skin damage to the non gear wearing riders is severe. palms of the hands ground off. exposed bone. big time facial trauma with the puddin' bowl helmets. all that comes with giant medical bills. wearing proper gear can reduce the severity of injury immensely to the point of hobbling away from a get off rather than getting loaded into a bambulance.

i think its safe to say all of the people, including me, did not plan on wrecking the day they went down.

stay vigilant and wear your gear
the people who love you and care about you appreciate it as well.

ride well and stay safe.

al
My GF is an ICU nurse. One of her patients had a turkey fly out and hit him in the face/chest. He spent several WEEKS in the ICU. Broke most of the bones in his face. Then he crashed too! Talk about adding insult to injury!

No thanks!

MOTGATT for me. I'll delete riding pants for Draggin Jeans or Arborwear pants if I'm out runnin errands on the GS-Adv. Runnin errands on the bike is mo bettah than driving the F250 around! More fun AND better gas mileage to boot.

M
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #90
RI2CA
Deer John

Oddometer: 43
In my younger years I remember doing 110mph without a helmet and slowing down only because my cheeks were flapping so hard. It was fun.

This past June I wiped out and kissed the freeway at 75mph. Fortunately I was wearing ATG at the time. It was NOT fun. Now that I'm riding again, suiting up doesn't feel like much of a burden!
RI2CA is offline   Reply With Quote