Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #91
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
My GF is an ICU nurse. One of her patients had a turkey fly out and hit him in the face/chest. He spent several WEEKS in the ICU. Broke most of the bones in his face. Then he crashed too! Talk about adding insult to injury!
I took a diving owl to the chest at 55 or 60. I don't know how fast those things dive or what the closing speed might have been, but it went through my gear and put a hole in my chest. The worst part was that it knocked me right off the back and I hit the asphalt going that fast. Fortunately I was wearing a nice one peice snowmobile suit (don't laugh it was like 1979 and we didn't have many gear options) that cushioned the blow and did not burn through. So no damage to my body other than some bruises and a beak hole right over my heart that required a trip to the ER.

That was maybe two years after I started riding and exactly the moment when I first got serious about wearing riding gear.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #92
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
The PIA factor is why I don't take the bike to work.

Some of you can get geared up in 5 minutes? Good for you, I can't.

Here is my commute via car:
Get dressed for work, put on coat, grab gym bag, lunch and purse, get in car, drive 7 minutes to work, park in parking lot, grab purse, lunch and gym bag, head into work. Put down bags, take off coat, sit in chair for 8 hours...Elapsed time 12 minutes.

Here is my commute via bike:
Put work appropriate shirt on, put on riding pants and tall socks for riding boots. Pack pants, socks and shoes for work. Grab gym bag, lunch, purse and clothes, head to garage. Attempt to put everything into the hard bags of bike. Put riding boots on. Put on electric jacket and wind triange. Wonder where my badge is for work. Go back up stairs to retrieve car keys, head to car to retrieve badge. Put on riding coat, zip up two layer zipper. Remember that I haven't pulled out the cord for Gerbing jacket. Unzip outter coat, retrieve power cord. Ponder usefulness of electrics as I begin to sweat. Put on helmet. Take off helmet. Put in ear plugs. Put on helmet. Open garage door. Search for just the right pair of gloves for weather. Notice the wrong face shield is on helmet. Take off helmet, change face shield. Put on helmet. Pull SO's big honking bike out of garage, pull my own bike out of garage, start up big honking bike and drive back into garage.
Enjoy new garage door opener, close garage door. See that lights are still on. Open garage door, shut off light, close door. Sit on bike, search for electric power end, plug in. Watch glove fall off other side of bike. Undo electric plug, put bike on side stand, retrieve glove, replug jacket. Take calming breathes. Click on heated jacket, put on gloves, put down face shield. Wonder were sunglasses are....screw it, I'll squint. Back away from garage, ride 7 minutes to work. Elapsed time so far 23 minutes. Find motorcycle only parking in garage, back in carefully. Take off helmet, set on tank. Open both hard cases to retrieve, work clothes, gym bag, lunch and purse. Attempt to carry all this crap into work. Answer stupid observer questions related to the weather and riding to work. Drop off bags at office, continue on to ladies locker room to change. Remove jacket, boots, socks and riding pants, stuff into two tiny lockers. Put on work clothes, roll eyes in disgust over wrinkles. Put on socks and shoes. Head to mirror. Attempt to brush hair into something appropriate for the office. Head back to office, sit in chair for 8 hours. Elapsed time 35 minutes.
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #93
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,531
I have the advantage of being male and being a land surveyor in an engineering office. All my nicely dressed cubicle dwelling coworkers are used to seeing me show up in boots wearing wrinkled clothes and carrying a pile of winter gear while sporting a ridiculous hat-head hairdo. In addition to looking rather scruffy, I find that having the surly demeanor of one used to field work in DC's less than affluent neighborhoods pretty much stifles any unwanted commentary on how I look. Image is everything.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #94
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
Elapsed time 12 minutes....

Elapsed time 35 minutes.

I feel your pain. For me there is only about a 5 minute difference.

In you case (if you are reporting accurately) it is 23 minutes.

Even then IMNSHO I would ride.

To arrive at work with a smile at the cost of 23 minutes IS WELL WORTH THE SACRIFICE.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #95
650VTwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
For me, getting geared up is an enjoyable part of the riding experience. Being prepared is satisfying.
650VTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #96
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009

Oddometer: 392
Interesting Discussion

New lurker here, but enjoying reading the ATGATT discussion. To be honest, the title caught my eye - wanted to figure the acronym out. I used to be an ATGSOT until I came to Germany. A coworker was forced off the side of the autobahn by a drifting station wagon - it's always a station wagon in the left lane doing 160KpH here - seeing the difference his gear made compared to the complete totaling of his Bimmer Sport Tourer was enough to convince me - I'll take the extra time as a fair trade.
majlee_vmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #97
Capt_Aubrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
convenience

If convenience is the critical variable, the cage wins going away. Not even a contest.

SheRides: any chance you could store clothes at the office? Not knowing how dressy your office is, and recognizing the simple fact that this is harder for women than men -- I knew a woman who rode to work, and she worked in a relatively formal environment. She had to look professional. She solved the problem by turning a vertical metal storage cabinet (same color and finish as a metal file cabinet, but has two vertical doors with shelves inside) into an armoire -- took out enough top shelves so she could hang clothes from the top, and store shoes and folded clothes on two shelves on the bottom. She standardized her work wardrobe around two high quality lightweight wool pantsuits in dark colors (black and navy, I think), two or three pairs of shoes, and three or four shirts. Grooming tools and supplies were in a bag slightly larger than a man's shaving kit.

The only clothes she took every day were one clean shirt, to replace the one she brought home the night before. When she arrived, she'd shed her gear into the cabinet, grab the suit, shirt, and grooming bag, and change. Coming back, she'd store her riding clothes and put on her dressy shoes. Ten minutes.

I'm guessing you can fill in the other details; I'm working from memory here.

She did say that an unexpected benefit was that she spent less on clothes, both time and money. The decision as to what to wear every morning was largely made, and after a week or two she never worried about wearing much the same thing every day. She always looked professional, and after the first few days, nobody noticed.

Maybe this, or something similar, might work for you.
--
Mark
Capt_Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #98
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
lol . . so from what I gather from this thread - it's not only ATGATT, ATGATTAYLI. (All the Gear, All the time - AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!). Honestly folks, we ALL know gear is used for a reason and not one person has posted differently. But, I can't rightly believe that anyone walks outside to their bike in 95 degree weather and says THANK GOD I GET TO WEAR GEAR TODAY! lol.
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #99
tuffgong
Bon Pilote

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
drive 7 minutes to work, .
I think the short distance is the main factor in the equation. I might very well find such preparation pointless as well. Having said that, there are alternatives to your present routine/method. Stashing clothes/shoes, different overpants,boots etc. Can't imagne needing the vest and related cold gear for such a short trip,regardless of the outside temp.

tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #100
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
I'm in the short commute (12 minutes) camp, plus I have to haul my computer back and forth. Living in a townhouse with no carport/garage means that I have to load my Givi trunk with computer, lunch goes in the tank bag, take the cover off my bike, unlock it, stash cover/lock+cable in the house (or my car if it's close by), move my wife's car, pull the bike out, put wife's car back (I would've been at work already if I drove the car) and head out. Regardless of the additional time, I love riding to work, so I do it unless I'm running between buildings to multiple meetings... generally 2 or 3 days a week in the summer.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #101
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
But, I can't rightly believe that anyone walks outside to their bike in 95 degree weather and says THANK GOD I GET TO WEAR GEAR TODAY! lol.
Believe it noob.

Any time the temp is mid 90's or above it is actually cooler to have on all the gear. Your body can not cool itself adequately if you sweet evaporates too quickly.

On a ride from Missoula MT to Portland last July it was 105 deg. In the shade. I was ATGATT and very glad I was. I soaked my long sleeve silk shirt in Spokane, then Ritzville, then Tri-Cities and again in Arlington along the Columbia. With the Bellstaff Adventure coat over the wet silk shirt it would give me about 60-70 miles of air conditioned comfort.

It is cooler to ride with ATGATT even on a hot day. You just need to be smart and have the right gear.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #102
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
+1 on ATGATT in the heat, I was more comfortable in Death Valley at 50*C wearing my gear. The jacket kept my shirt from drying too quickly and the gloves kept my hands from feeling like I was sticking them in a convection oven! Plus at that temp, you're going to be hot and sweaty with or without gear, so what's the big deal - I ride a Strom, so obviously I don't really care about appearances...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #103
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Believe it noob.

yes master
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #104
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I completely agree, so does broken bones and such. Which is why I don't do it. But as ikono mentioned at first I always rode to work and school. But now getting geared up takes so much time it's much quicker just to drive.
Personally I have a multitude of circumstances I use to decide what to do.

When I ride, I decide what I am willing to risk. Always a helmet since head injuries don't heal like a skinned up arm or leg.

I figure how I plan to ride and where.

If I am riding to school (work) I may do the minimal for the weather. I go 7 miles, three stop signs, two lefts, and two rights, on a relatively rural road with medium traffic and actually NO curves (part of what I hate about the flat lands here). I am not thrashing and am very aware of my surroundings. I will risk no coat, boots, etc. but always a helmet and usually gloves.

When we're doing the "supermoto" or back roads thing, I'll wear boots (MX or one of my over ankle bike boots), gloves, coat (now more often with elbow pads and shoulder cups for a reason to be noted later), and obviously helmet and goggles.

If it's more of an open road longer ride I may or may not wear the coat and such. That would be like on the 79 mile ride to Mid Ohio for the races. We aren't really thrashing, the towns we go through are small, the road doesn't have heavy traffic except in Lexington and at the track. So I justify a bit more risk on gear.

I will say I always wear the helmet, no matter what. I like a lot of air flow on hot days so I even wear the MX helmet on my street bike. I wish there was a way to see how effective the venting of helmets can be. I had an AGV Stinger with like ten vents - no flow. I don't see why they can't get real vents that can flow at least half of what you'd have with those bicycle helmets. I wish I had the where-with-all to make something like that.

When it comes to the coat, I have a black 3 season Heine Gericke Boost that I wear when it's under say 65°, almost never take the liner out. My favorite is an old First Gear Timbuktu 3/4 jacket (sort of an Eisenhower for you older guys out there) I got back around 1992. It has a Thinsulate liner with 3/4 sleeves, full width cape (back) vent double zippered so I open them to the center, nearly 12" long sleeve vents that I only open about 1/2 way (and also make the arm pads move around making me wonder just how effective they are), and a zip/snap front that I may only snap on hot days.

The really good part is the Timbuktu coat is mainly red and white - cool colors that don't absorb the sun's radiated heat. Unfortunately the white shows dirt really bad especially at the neck, later versions had black collars. The other good part about the coat is that the padding holds it away from your skin a bit and allows fantastic air flow. I don't bother to remove the liner in it very often either. The air flows so well that at any speed over about 25 mph it is cooler to wear the coat than not on a sunny day. So I've taken to wearing it a lot more than I used to, because it IS cooler to wear it than not.

So it isn't that I wear all the gear all or most of the time from a safety standpoint. I chose how much risk and also comfort when I decide what to wear. I am chosing to wear the coat more often because of comfort too. If we get on a long open drone where I don't want to wear a coat, I can always take it off and bungee it on the rack or seat anyway.

There's my take on it... for what it is worth.

By the way occasionally a search on First Gear Timbuktu will bring up either a NOS coat or a decent used one. I recommend them highly with dense foam forearm pads and hard shoulder cups, even has a 20 oz. fluids bladder that can be used and a storage pouch in the back (like a hunting jacket) to store the liner if one removes it on a ride. Probably could fit a chest protector under the coat with the coat armor removed, that would really promote air flow. I think the last one I saw on line was like $89. Well worth it.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #105
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl
How long does it take to put on pants, a jacket, gloves and a brain bucket?
The more I do it, the faster I can do it.

Even riding for 6 years, I'm still significantly faster to gear up than I was last year.

Riding a bike with carbs, the time it takes the bike to warm up is about the same as it takes for me to gear up and strap down the luggage.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote