Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #106
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,233
Yeah, sure. ATTGAT sucks so bad nobody'd ever ride.

Without the Roadcrafter, I'd have added a broken clavicle, some right-side ribs, and some serious shoulder damage. Probably would've done a real mother of a number on my knee too if I hadn't been wearing my race-grade leather sport pants.

As it is, I was riding again in 8 weeks.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #107
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
yes master
Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #108
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Gear

Personally, even the thought of not riding with ALL my gear on takes the fun out of it, actually it just about makes me break out into a cold sweat thinking of how unprotected I am. Conversley, whether burning up the back roads on the Duck or riding dirt with all the gear and pads on, ATGATT gives me the confidence to go out and and enjoy the ride balls out.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #109
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlyn_Deckard
Ever see something you want to photograph along the road, something that is time sensitive, like you better take the pic in the next 30 seconds or you don't get it? Yeah, good luck with that. ATGATT (including a non flip-up full face helmet) is not conducive to spontaneous photography. A DSLR will not fit up to me eye no matter how hard I try!
Wrong on two fronts. I have a DSLR, and I can get it out of the panniers and ready for shooting in about 10 seconds.

But I also have a tiny point-and-shoot, too.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #110
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures
Wrong on two fronts. I have a DSLR, and I can get it out of the panniers and ready for shooting in about 10 seconds.
Which model are you using? You are able to shoot it properly with gloves on? I'll be looking for a DSLR this spring. Thanks.
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #111
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3power
Which model are you using? You are able to shoot it properly with gloves on? I'll be looking for a DSLR this spring. Thanks.
I've got a D20, and I've got considerable experience shooting. The key? A modular helmet -makes composition much easier.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #112
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
"...I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like
ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather
today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's
more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?..." ??????????

No, cause in any way I have to put on boots, trousers, ect... It makes no
diffrent to me, if I'm put on my BlueJeans or my leather trousers, my normal
shoes or my bike boots, ...
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #113
klrukiddingme?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. I may be thinking great weather today, but when I think about getting all geared up I'm just like forget it. It's more like work. Do you guys ever get like this?
No.
klrukiddingme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #114
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared
People could choose to wear a lid or not. If you chose not to your insurance is 5X more (or whatever the bean counters compute) I think that would be fair. Lidless folks get a choice that they have to pay for.
If you check the box marked yes I allways wear a lid and then crash whithout one you get screwed on the bills...Or you can't sue the other guy or?????

Just my opinion. Many holes in it, but, it holds more water than many others do
You do realize that even with a helmet and ATG, your chances or injury or death or much higher than a cager, right? So, if you're not a hypocrite you would also support raising health insurance rates for helmeted MC riders too, right? Perhpas not as much as for non-helmeted riders.

And helmet laws are a joke anyhow. I have a DOT aproved half helmet. I am under no illusion that it provides anywhere close to the protection that one of my FF helmets does - but it's still perfectly legal. It's better than nothing I suppose but I only wear it to be legal, not for safety.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #115
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
And helmet laws are a joke anyhow. I have a DOT aproved half helmet. I am under no illusion that it provides anywhere close to the protection that one of my FF helmets does - but it's still perfectly legal. It's better than nothing I suppose but I only wear it to be legal, not for safety.
How is that a valid argument against helmet laws?

Whether a state or country has a helmet law, I choose to wear a full-face. Even when it's hot. It's safer than NOT wearing a helmet. It might be more dangerous than being in a cage, but that's irrelevant to the discussion of being ATGATT.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #116
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,659
Quote:
You do realize that even with a helmet and ATG, your chances or injury or death or much higher than a cager, right? So, if you're not a hypocrite you would also support raising health insurance rates for helmeted MC riders too, right? Perhpas not as much as for non-helmeted riders.

Not really...
The ins. folks know what they need for $$$$.
I assume and I have no stats that our ins. is less because they calc. that we don't spend much time on our bikes. Some of us ride a lot and some park a lot. Another consideration is that of what you can cause damage wise in a car or on a bike... An out of control car can cause much more damage to other stuff!

I was not making a "every thing in life" risk statement.
I was putting forth a possible senario for allowing no helmet vs. helmet choice as a state law. Ideas mostly fact somewhat.

No different than saying no seat belt = no ins. coverage or you could pay for the right to NOT wear a seat belt.

Seat belts are probably a joke also?????
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #117
smokinjoe
hippie kicker

Oddometer: 3,003
In the summer, I'm guilty of not wearing everything I should, but that's my decision. Kinda the same as if some folks drive their cages with bad tires. Yeah, stuff can happen and you know it, but you're willing to take the risk.... However, depending on which bike I'm riding, and where/what I'm going to be doing, most of the time I'll put gear on. All in all, no, I don't think it takes the fun outta riding.

If you won't stand behind our troops....do us all a favor and stand in front of them!!!!

Speak well of your enemies. Afterall, you made them!!!

what are you lookin at, dicknose!!!!
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #118
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,627
Quote:

Helmet laws a joke? I look at it a little different - riders without helmets are the joke.

Take a dive, smack your head, laugh your ass off, and tell me how nice the breeze is in your hair... if you can still process speech properly. <"duh"

I don't like helmet laws, mainly because of problems if someone should steal my helmet I risk citation if I have to ride without it, which happened to a few friends back when Ohio had a comprehensive law. As far as I am actually concerned, I don't really care if riders don't wear helmets. That's their risk to take. As for belittling anything to do with helmets and use or to bring up lame justification against them, that's a real joke, just not a funny one. As you, yourself, pointed out the half is better than nothing as most bicyclists will tell you. The only joke on helmets are those illegal skid lids with DOT stickers on them.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #119
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
Helmet laws a joke? I look at it a little different - riders without helmets are the joke.

Take a dive, smack your head, laugh your ass off, and tell me how nice the breeze is in your hair... if you can still process speech properly. <"duh"

I don't like helmet laws, mainly because of problems if someone should steal my helmet I risk citation if I have to ride without it, which happened to a few friends back when Ohio had a comprehensive law. As far as I am actually concerned, I don't really care if riders don't wear helmets. That's their risk to take. As for belittling anything to do with helmets and use or to bring up lame justification against them, that's a real joke, just not a funny one. As you, yourself, pointed out the half is better than nothing as most bicyclists will tell you. The only joke on helmets are those illegal skid lids with DOT stickers on them.
Laws requiring helmets do, indeed, limit your freedom as an American. I think it should be someone's choice to wear or not wear one. I think it is certainly the correct choice to wear one, and I won't ride without mine, but that's my opinion.

As far as bicycle helmets - I feel the same way. All my life I've ridden bicycles without a helmet and won't ever wear one.
3power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #120
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger7654
I love to ride my bike many for many reasons. But sometimes it seems like ATGATT takes the fun and desire out of it. ..........Do you guys ever get like this?
ROAD RASH TAKES THE FUN OUT OF RIDING.