Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #3091
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret... we all had .75 hours at one time...nothing to be ashamed of...
True, dat. I flew one mission, and the other three guys each had over 10,000 hours..made my piddly-assed little 2500 seem like a drop in the bucket.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #3092
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
DHC-2 Beaver, 185, PC-6, 206....interesting choices. The lottery mindset is well at work....these plane represent getting away, not in a hurry, not some speedster to get one place to another, and represent versatility and some level adventure. Someone without a lottery mentality then the choices might be a very fast plane to get one place to another fast (IE business mentality). Outside of the retirement mentality most people play the lottery not necessarily because they want to be rich but because they don't want to be poor or are tired of being poor. But that's a whole 'nother subject.
Which is why I'd choose this. Pilatus PC-12. Fast, reliable, single turbine engine. I think I could learn to fly it safely and remain current. 300MPH and room for a couple friends to come along.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #3093
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
I ran across an interesting plane with a hell of a story behind it, a little short cross post from my ride report about going out to Angel Falls, good thing they moved it to Cuidad Bolivar before Hugo came to be or it probably would have been scrapped
Quote:
From my reading experience:
Jimmie Angel was quite the pilot, the crazy bastard after flying into the area the first time with an old gold digger he'd met in Panama years earlier to pick up some of the old man's loot never forgot about all the riches he'd ferried out of the area for the old man. The first time flying in the wild new area they where naviagating solo off the old miner's memory of the lay of the land only making that one trip for a load of gold and never returning again as a pair.

Jimmie kept trying to return to that same area of riches from memory and got his wife and some close friends involved in one such expedition looking for the gold. On this trip his luck nearly ran out as he'd landed his plane on the top of the table top mountain of the orgin of the falls that bears his name. His plane was stuck fast in the soft soil on the plateau and was unable to take off again. He was left with no other choice than to spend nearly a dozen days hiking down from the top, just amazing he made it back to civilization traveling over such rough country with such little population. His plane that he landed up on top in 1937 was finally dismanteled by the Venezuelan military and taken down by helicopter around 1997 and then reassembled and now welcomes you to Cuidad Bolivar's Airport. Things in amazingly good shape for spending so much time up on the top of that moutain Adventure sure is fun

I took a flight a little over an hour in a Cessna 206 with 4 others on the same trip booked through the Posada I was staying at in Cuidad Bolivar.

The plane looked pretty damn good shape for being up on the moutain for so long, it endured a hell of a lot of rain up there Couple of more photos I took on the way back:

Great thread

John in Caracas still waiting to put my top end back on.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #3094
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
How about a 195 with a turbine conversion. For a bit more power.

Hmm, I didn't think the 190/195 had the same STOL capabilities or load carrying capacity as the 185. Looks interesting though!

I've not figured multi-quote out yet, so I'm just responding to several and adding my own $0.02 in here and there...

And yeah, my mindset is probably closer to the business than getting out/away... But then again I'm looking at getting into real estate investing which would have me traveling a few hundred miles a week if not further so I think a fast mover would be worth it. .... Okay, that and living in one state with ailing parents in another state would have me wanting to be able to get back 'home' fast.

You mean to tell me that some of you FF's weren't born with 10,000 hours in yer logbooks? I was saying it to differentiate me from someone with actual flying experience.

What's that plane Heyload posted, and is it available to civilians? Haha, something like that would be great for flying supplies to a situation like Haiti when another disaster strikes somewhere in the world.

Barike screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 08:45 AM Reason: adding/editing
Barike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #3095
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
OK...Pilatus Porter PC-6 for me "Air America" movie...rings a bell? Kinda dating myself...
As for the Apache as we used to say that second engine will lead you to the crash site...could never maintain altitude on one. (Never flew one only it's bigger brother the Aztec)
As for the Globe Swift, a friend of mine had one...be ready to work the rudder on landing...many of them groundlooped due to being short coupled. (short wheelbase between main and tailwheel) good to get some taildragger experience on something more tame. It was ugly in a croswind.
Are you refering to an STC Suplemental Type Certificatethat allows you to install approved aftermarket equipment?
STC...thats it...it has been a long time for me.....I actually looked into the Apache when I was still flying, and IIRC you could upgrade the engines that I think are 150's to 180's and that was supposed to help the plane quite a bit.

The swift from what I understood was a real hot rod.....fastest thing I ever got to fly was a Tiger and that was cool....and still a simple plane....fixed gear, simple prop....nothing special but it was a very nice plane...my instructor had one back when I was learning.

I really miss flying, and would like to take it up again one day....but again only if I hit the lotto.....at one time I did own....really own...paid off and everything a Cherokee 140....I liked it quite a bit...1967 model and it was always owned by a person...never a trainer or rental.....super nice.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #3096
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
What's that plane Heyload posted, and is it available to civilians? Haha, something like that would be great for flying supplies to a situation like Haiti when another disaster strikes somewhere in the world.
C-27J Spartan

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #3097
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
Same category:
CASA 235

French Transal

[/IMG]
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #3098
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
I saw this one at an Air Show in South Africa very impressive aircraft.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #3099
Beamer Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
I saw this one at an Air Show in South Africa very impressive aircraft.

JATO pack ???
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #3100
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,146
Quote:
JATO pack ???
Wheel wells?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #3101
Beamer Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Wheel wells?
Is it an option as the good old Herc
Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #3102
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Fat Albert with Jato is a cool site for sure
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #3103
Beamer Pilot

Speaking of options...I could be tempted by this one...and I have time on type...

://travel.webshots.com/photo/2180082280037264172rlvjVZ][/URL]
Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #3104
Beamer Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Fat Albert with Jato is a cool site for sure

At night spittin lead in a 45 degree turn...They ran fast to get out of the way but not for long...M102 at 10 RPM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #3105
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Speaking of options...I could be tempted by this one...and I have time on type...

://travel.webshots.com/photo/2180082280037264172rlvjVZ][/URL]
Yeah, but what about the plane?

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: