Oddometer: 2,542
New England Air Museum, Hartford, CT:

More here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2424880...7629385550989/
Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #3904
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,164
I'll post this here since it is an aviation enthusiast's thread.

It's not hyper-realistic, but a new game that is now in beta-release testing mode is War Thunder (no, I have no affiliation). It does have options for the controlling of flaps (multiple settings for landing, combat, and take-off), air brakes, etc., but it still isn't as realistic as a true flight sim.

Basically it's flying WWII-era (give or take) planes against one another and against AI (for now?) ground targets. On the American line there are F2A Buffalos as starter planes up to the F-86A Sabre (with bombers and even the Catalina as options to fly and fight with). Other countries (Germany + Italy, Japan, Russia, UK) start with biplanes (which aren't bad).

This is not Microsoft flight-sim realistic, and truth be told aiming is reportedly easier with the mouse than with a joystick. I've used joysticks for prior flight sims, but for this one I'm sort of amazed at how easy it is to fly with a mouse. Anyway, you can choose either option.

Too, this game, as many others in its genre, seems to come from Russian developers, so a buddy and I are sensing a Russian bias already by the tier -2 and tier-3 levels, but then it's more about pilot skill and placement than the hard-hitting guns, so any country seems fine.

Forgive my slightly modern take on the placement of American war decals, but here are screen shots:

(A20 Havoc)

I know the paintings are placed on the wrong planes, in the wrong places, but for the purposes of the game and the angles enemies view my planes from... these are easier for them to see.

Anyway, it's a free-to-play game at the moment, and battles put you with a total of about 30 players (I'm not sure on that number). Even if it isn't fully realistic, is surprising the appreciation that flying lesser-known, or lesser-vaunted, war aircraft, then researching them on the 'net, can bring.

There are a few modes of competing, two of which are 'Arcade' mode where it's a mid-air cluster of aircraft from different eras (bring what you have that you believe will be helpful depending on the battle and goals), and a 'Historical' mode where more accurate fights / planes are organized, such as in the Battle of Britain, or other famous air encounters.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 03:07 PM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #3905
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 643
Wait for it, Aviation Collection near the end. Enjoy.

IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #3906
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,575
Did someone say C-46?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #3907
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ied-Paris.html

Revealed: Daring RAF pilot who risked his life to fly down Champs-Elysees at tree-top height to drape the Arc de Triomphe with a giant tricolour at the height of Nazi occupation to keep French hope alive,

The incredible story of how a RAF pilot flew down the Champs-Elysees to drop a French flag over Nazi-occupied Paris has emerged after his medals were put up for sale. Wing Commander Ken Gatward managed the 'impossible feat' of flying his Bristol Beaufighter down the Champs-Elysees at 30ft before dropping the French Tricolour over the Arc de Triomphe. The daring act was a symbol of hope to the occupied French as the Arc honours those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars. The British pilot then headed towards the Gestapo headquarters which he littered with 20mm shells - helping to boost morale in Paris when it was most needed.

The attack sent the German SS troops running for their lives, to the delight of the Parisians who had seen them as an invincible enemy up until that point. The brave pilot volunteered for the dare-devil mission to boost the morale of the French and put the wind up the Germans. Wg Cdr Gatward’s inspirational antics were celebrated in British newspaper cartoons and raised the hope and morale among the British and French. One of the cartoons depicted his aircraft doing a loop around the Eiffel Tower, with the word ‘Hope’ written in the sky using his trail smoke. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and after the war he was hailed a hero by the French government who presented him with a huge bottle of Champagne and a Tricolour in Paris. Wg Cdr Gatward’s medal set, that includes his DFC with bar and a Distinguished Service Order, have now been put up for auction after the recent death of his widow.

A souvenir booklet featuring a sketch of the moment Wg Cdr Gatward and his observer dropped the Tricolour over the Arc de Triomphe with German army trucks on the ground is also being sold.James Grinter, of auctioneers Reeman Dansie of Colchester, Essex, said: 'Ken Gatward’s act of bravery is a real Boy’s Own story.

Honour: Ken Gatward was presented with a Tricolour by the grateful French in 1949 'He was asked to volunteer for the ‘unsafe mission’ which was aimed as boosting the morale of the French and British people as well as undermine the Germans. 'This is June 1942 and the real dark days of war for the French and this was to demonstrate that the Germans weren’t invincible.' Wg Cdr Gatward was chosen for the sortie as he had demonstrated a skill for accurate flying during low-level attacks on enemy positions after Dunkirk.

The British had been informed the Germans held daily parades down the Champs-Elysees and he was asked to strafe the parade. He and his navigator, Flight Sergeant George Fern, took off from Thorny Island, near Portsmouth, on June 12.
After reaching Paris, he flew at just 30ft before Ft Sgt released the flag down the flare shute and over the Arc de Triomphe. Mr Grinter said: 'It is an amazing story - one of those that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
'He flew down the Champs-Elysees at second floor window height. It was an incredible act of bravery and a real audacious attack. 'He attacked the Gestapo HQ and SS troops were seen to run for their lives. As he turned for home the Germans came out and shook their fists at him.

'The attack gave Parisians one of the greatest thrills of the war and had a huge effect on the morale of the French and at home.' When Wg Cdr Gatward returned he entered a very bland entry into his log book to record the daring raid.
Wg Cdr Gatward was awarded a second DFC in September 1944 for taking part in an aeriel attack on a German convoy in Norwegian waters. He spent 30 years in the RAF before retiring. He lived in Frinton-on-Sea, Essex, with wife Pamela and died in 1998 aged 84.

His medals and other items are expected to sell for 8,000 pounds at the auction on Friday.

1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #3908
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Wow. I have never heard of this before. An amazing feat!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #3909
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Wow. I have never heard of this before. An amazing feat!

Thats the whole thing, it was lost to history for the most part. Only until his widow died recently (sometime in nov I believe) did it come to light. How fucking ballsy is that! Talk about thumbing your nose at the enemy!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #3910
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
"Shoot up German HQ"
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #3911
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
And: "Shoot up German HG" with 173-240 flying hours.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #3912
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
Jolly good show, aulde chap.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #3913
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,400
Classic British understatement...

Glad this bravery and elan was not lost to history...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #3914
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Great story!

And great news! Looks like I'm gonna see the Mosquito in action: http://www.wings.org.nz/
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #3915
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
A little CL 415 lust.

Canadian Pride working World Wide

43 Grupo 2012 from Hidros on Vimeo.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: