Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 376 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #4096
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Is that FSX? I'm running FS2004.
Yup FSX. Much better than 2004 if your machine can run it. They ironed out a lot of ATC issues, but there are a few that still remain.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #4097
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,154
My machine won't run FSX well. I fly the 737 on FS2004 a lot.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #4098
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
My machine won't run FSX well. I fly the 737 on FS2004 a lot.
I really enjoy the 737 and bigger jets. I have a 747-8 freighter that i really enjoy flying. The model and flight dynamics are awesome. Like I mentioned, my current go to is a 767-300ER. In Air Hauler you are required to perform 100 hour inspections, and the 767 just had its first one. It's only been a couple weeks since I downloaded it. The 747 has somewhere around 800 hours, but a lot of that is by an AI pilot. Almost all my flying is done through Air Hauler. It's just an awesome program. I believe it's compatible with FS2004, but a few minor features are missing.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #4099
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Myanmar (Burma) has given the go ahead for a search for crated Spitfire fighers thought to be buried at Rangoon airport or elsewhere in the country.

British team in Burma begin lost Spitfire hunt

Will be very cool if true, but I imagine if as good as they hope, it will flood the vintage warbird market (which is rather small) and lower the value of existing Spits.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #4100
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
it will flood the vintage warbird market (which is rather small) and lower the value of existing Spits.
Good. I'll start saving now.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #4101
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

Will be very cool if true, but I imagine if as good as they hope, it will flood the vintage warbird market (which is rather small) and lower the value of existing Spits.

Very cool that there will be low time spits coming out, but I doubt it will lower values by a lot. I think these will probably have a slightly higher value since they have such an interesting story behind them. Of course that depends on how much money it will take to make them air worthy.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #4102
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,623
I applied at Sallie Mae for a loan to get my training through ATP (Airline Transport Professionals). Waiting to hear back.

The training is private through comm multi with CFIs and guarantee you a job as a CFI to gain hours for an airline career.

I just don't know if I can do the training (10 days a month) with my current job and then take a 50%+ hit on salary at the airlines.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #4103
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I applied at Sallie Mae for a loan to get my training through ATP (Airline Transport Professionals). Waiting to hear back.

The training is private through comm multi with CFIs and guarantee you a job as a CFI to gain hours for an airline career.

I just don't know if I can do the training (10 days a month) with my current job and then take a 50%+ hit on salary at the airlines.
I have a friend who did the accelerated program there and is flying Beech 1900s for Great Lakes air. I am finishing my degree in May and thinking very seriously about going to ATP afterwards. From what I read the only way that makes sense is the fast track because of the time you get working as a CFI. The 10 day a month track won't get you that from what I read. The fast track gets you around 1500 hours by the time you are done. That's the requirement for most airlines, or other companies. I have subscriptions to both Flying magazine and Plane & Pilot. They have had good articles about careers over the last year or so. The Flying I just received had a neat article about different jobs in aviation aside from airlines. Pretty much air ambulance, CFI, and charters. Airlines don't appeal to me that much, but everything else does.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #4104
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I have a friend who did the accelerated program there and is flying Beech 1900s for Great Lakes air. I am finishing my degree in May and thinking very seriously about going to ATP afterwards. From what I read the only way that makes sense is the fast track because of the time you get working as a CFI. The 10 day a month track won't get you that from what I read. The fast track gets you around 1500 hours by the time you are done. That's the requirement for most airlines, or other companies. I have subscriptions to both Flying magazine and Plane & Pilot. They have had good articles about careers over the last year or so. The Flying I just received had a neat article about different jobs in aviation aside from airlines. Pretty much air ambulance, CFI, and charters. Airlines don't appeal to me that much, but everything else does.

I totally understand the Fast Tracked program. I just can't do 7 days a week and work at the same time. Not unless I quit and get a night-job.

It would be tough enough to do the 10 days a month with my schedule/career type (on-call maintenance manager).
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #4105
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,378
RE: professional pilot training. I don't want to pee on your career campfire but Plane and Pilot and Flying magazine are not your friend when it comes to objective career information. Nor for that matter is the information (not necessarily the training) obtained through the ATP training program. Lest I be burnt at the stake as an aviation heretic PM me if you want to start a separate discussion (maybe continued through email).
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #4106
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
RE: professional pilot training. I don't want to pee on your career campfire but Plane and Pilot and Flying magazine are not your friend when it comes to objective career information. Nor for that matter is the information (not necessarily the training) obtained through the ATP training program. Lest I be burnt at the stake as an aviation heretic PM me if you want to start a separate discussion (maybe continued through email).
He's a witch! Burn him!

(sorry, but it was too easy...)

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #4107
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
Ya'll newbee's ("What kinda bee don't fly...") might want to listen to chazbird...

Some of those training programs sell a lot of blue sky...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #4108
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Ya'll newbee's ("What kinda bee don't fly...") might want to listen to chazbird...

Some of those training programs sell a lot of blue sky...

NFE
Well I will definitely urinate on your future career campfire…In today’s airlines conditions and financial climate I would find some other form of employment than aviation. Not to mention that pay went down the tubes unless you have 30 + year seniority.
I realize that the lifestyle is appealing but how many really do make it to the flight deck of the majors. The flight training units are quick to point out the ones who made it; however ask them how many pilots they trained in total and do the math. And Google “furlough” and” layoff “
If you are going to invest that kind of cash (or bank loan) into your future find something that pays more than $35,000 a year for possibly the next 5 following graduation.
Yes I know…the prestige and recognition, nothing today compared to years ago. Got my four bars and walked back and forth that terminal ten times…years later it was just another job with average pay.
Both my father and grandfather were pilots the flying was tougher but the rewards were there. I remember as a kid boarding the a/c wearing a tie and sports coat same attire worn by all the other passengers, meals were awesome, F/As were friendly and attentive, you got blankets (and as a kid they always sent one home with you), slippers and wash kit.

Look around most flights today, more like cattle liners, not to mention the number of pissed off or drunken pax we have had to remove over the last few years.
As one smart mother said, “If you would have invested the time and effort you spent on airplanes and aviation in any other business you would be rich by now!”

I know…I would do it all over again without hesitation, it is in my blood…just looking at the new guys, don’t envy you.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #4109
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
Well I will definitely urinate on your future career campfire…In today’s airlines conditions and financial climate I would find some other form of employment than aviation. Not to mention that pay went down the tubes unless you have 30 + year seniority.
I realize that the lifestyle is appealing but how many really do make it to the flight deck of the majors. The flight training units are quick to point out the ones who made it; however ask them how many pilots they trained in total and do the math. And Google “furlough” and” layoff “
If you are going to invest that kind of cash (or bank loan) into your future find something that pays more than $35,000 a year for possibly the next 5 following graduation.
Yes I know…the prestige and recognition, nothing today compared to years ago. Got my four bars and walked back and forth that terminal ten times…years later it was just another job with average pay.
Both my father and grandfather were pilots the flying was tougher but the rewards were there. I remember as a kid boarding the a/c wearing a tie and sports coat same attire worn by all the other passengers, meals were awesome, F/As were friendly and attentive, you got blankets (and as a kid they always sent one home with you), slippers and wash kit.

Look around most flights today, more like cattle liners, not to mention the number of pissed off or drunken pax we have had to remove over the last few years.
As one smart mother said, “If you would have invested the time and effort you spent on airplanes and aviation in any other business you would be rich by now!”

I know…I would do it all over again without hesitation, it is in my blood…just looking at the new guys, don’t envy you.
I will agree with the previous posting whole heartedly - put your energies to some other industry. As a front line maintenance person, I've watched the decline of this industry over the last 25 years. Hell, they're starting to treat flight crew just like they've treated mechanics for years! And it's not going over well.... There is talk of a major player up here in Canada paying their new Captain's $45K per year to fly new Bombardier turboprops - which lends me to wonder what they will be paying their maintenance staff... Everyone gets jaded when they've done a job for long enough, but what really gets me is seeing two year FO's who deeply regret having made aviation a career choice.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #4110
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,570
I've certainly seen what both of these guys are saying. I've often thanked doG that I went into ATC, even though for years afterward I still considered going into the cockpit. Furloughs, layoffs, decreased benfits, retirements stripped away...I have lots of friends who have suffered through one or all of these things.

...and honestly, ATC isn't what it used to be either. The good news is that if you're only marginally capable, you can make a career out of it, since we now are more concerned with controllers feeling good about themselves rather than keep the system operating efficiently.

Aviation as a whole just ain't what it used to be, or what it looks like from the outside looking in...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: