ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 278 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #4636
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,415
Still my favourite jet fighter of all time. Guess where I found this one..


Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #4637
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,261
Is it at that the smallish private museum on that airport perimeter road from YVR heading into Richmond? (FWIW a gross weight F4 weighed more than a gross weight B17)
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #4638
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
(FWIW a gross weight F4 weighed more than a gross weight B17)
But they're about 6 times as fast and loud.

__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #4639
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,261
Of course they have different roles, but yes, that was the point. 20-22 years separate their development/deployment. Mach 2 vs .35 mach, 2 crew vs 11 crew. It takes over 20 years to develop a new tactical aircraft now. I'm in the SF bay area and been following the new bay bridge. 20 years of design (including arguments) and 8 years in the making and not finished, now with cracked bolts been discovered, and is well twice over budget. The original, twice as big/long, was finished in 1937, took two years and was under budget.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #4640
NTTF
Trapped Under Ice
 
NTTF's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 148
Wasn't the U-2 roughly based on the F4? They're silent at idle and damn loud taking off.
NTTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #4641
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel
 
ParrotheadJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Margaritaville, UT
Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTF View Post
Wasn't the U-2 roughly based on the F4? They're silent at idle and damn loud taking off.
Actually, the U-2 was based on the F-104
__________________
Just show me the way to the bar and a nomad who knows
- Jimmy Buffett
ParrotheadJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #4642
moparren
Gnarly Adventurer
 
moparren's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson AZ
Oddometer: 133
Pima Air and Space. You can spend days there and not see everything, somewhere I have pictures of the B-36 still in pieces before they put it back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Still my favourite jet fighter of all time. Guess where I found this one..


Lyle
__________________
I like to pretend I'm a writer! http://davidsreynolds.weebly.com/index.html
moparren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #4643
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Of course they have different roles, but yes, that was the point. 20-22 years separate their development/deployment. Mach 2 vs .35 mach, 2 crew vs 11 crew. It takes over 20 years to develop a new tactical aircraft now. I'm in the SF bay area and been following the new bay bridge. 20 years of design (including arguments) and 8 years in the making and not finished, now with cracked bolts been discovered, and is well twice over budget. The original, twice as big/long, was finished in 1937, took two years and was under budget.
yeah, the F4 was only 15 years after world war 2. Amazing.
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #4644
NTTF
Trapped Under Ice
 
NTTF's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
Actually, the U-2 was based on the F-104

That's the one. The U-2 is old and kind of wild to look at up close. Seems like very old technology now and they all look kind of beat up compared to similar aged AWACS. Still pretty neat. I don't know how the pilots land on that skinny bicycle landing gear set up. The wheels are tiny and not very wide.
NTTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #4645
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel
 
ParrotheadJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Margaritaville, UT
Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTF View Post
That's the one. The U-2 is old and kind of wild to look at up close. Seems like very old technology now and they all look kind of beat up compared to similar aged AWACS. Still pretty neat. I don't know how the pilots land on that skinny bicycle landing gear set up. The wheels are tiny and not very wide.
Well, they get help from the chase cars kind of like Naval Aviators (DON'T CALL THEM PILOTS ) get help from the Landing Signal Officer when landing aboard a ship at sea.

Even then, it doesn't always go quite right...






Speaking of aircraft carriers, who here knew that the U-2 was actually operated from U.S. Navy carriers? Here's the video proof




__________________
Just show me the way to the bar and a nomad who knows
- Jimmy Buffett
ParrotheadJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #4646
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
wannaklr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
Oddometer: 7,220
The pat down at the end was pretty funny. The U-2 looks awkward to land in those shots.
__________________
Back in Iowa!
I like my music like I like my women. Loud, angry and with bagpipes!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #4647
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,590
Probably 205, but pretty cool, nonetheless...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #4648
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,261
I believe at altitude U2's have a coffin corner (underspeed/overspeed) between 5 and 15 knots. Fortunately its pretty smooth at 75,000+ ft. Used to work at NASA-Moffett when they had a pair of them. Impressive angle of climb. Noisy too.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #4649
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel
 
ParrotheadJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Margaritaville, UT
Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I believe at altitude U2's have a coffin corner (underspeed/overspeed) between 5 and 15 knots. Fortunately its pretty smooth at 75,000+ ft. Used to work at NASA-Moffett when they had a pair of them. Impressive angle of climb. Noisy too.
Yep - Just a little too slow and you fall out of the sky, but a little too fast and you pull the wings off The U-2 is an awesome plane
__________________
Just show me the way to the bar and a nomad who knows
- Jimmy Buffett
ParrotheadJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #4650
NTTF
Trapped Under Ice
 
NTTF's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
Even then, it doesn't always go quite right...






Yikes. Good thing those wing tips have titanium sliders. They use Pontiac G6 chase cars now.
NTTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014