Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Dont know if it will fit the F650GS twin or not but the rim that is in the photos from Marty is up for sale (Ive decided I will not be needing it). PM me for details.
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
bard
Devilrider

Oddometer: 29
Spoked tubeless, wont be easy to find... Also 19" spoked rims for tubes, not easy to find tubed tires in that size.

There is the tubeless rim tapes you inflate the rim tapes to 100 PSI (rim lock hole has the valve) which seals so you can use tubeless tires.

A buddy told me about it and proudly showed me his tubeless on normal spoked rims so it works, sent him an email where he bought them and when he answer I will update. That would be the solution I guess.

Anyway what's the big deal of getting spoked rims for the F650GS? The cast ones are stronger than spoked and you don't have the bloody work every day checking every spoke for looseness, nor broken spokes to deal with. If you are scared of denting the rims just inflate more pressure in pothole hells that takes care of that. The F650GS cast rims are really strong, not like street rims at all. My XR400R has heavy duty spoked wheels still every arrival check with spanner, make sure to zip tie every cross intersection in case one breaks and makes a massive mess. It is a load of extra work, extra strong cast with tubeless. What a joy, puncture, plug and go. None of the work when you ready to fall over at arrival with stupid spokes. No that was one of the main reasons I got a F650GS and NOT the F800GS. Cast superstrong rims and tubeless. Awesome... I have jumped into potholes and been surprised the rims are still there from the abuse, they rox...
bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
FYI, since you seem to be confused on a few matters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard
Also 19" spoked rims for tubes, not easy to find tubed tires in that size.
Tubless tire + tube = Tubed tire

Quote:
The cast ones are stronger than spoked...
Specifically with the BMW cast vs BMW spoked? I doubt it, but I can't say for sure. In general though, cast wheels are FAR more fragile than spoked. There's a reason vehicles meant for rough terrain DON'T have cast wheels.

Quote:
...you don't have the bloody work every day checking every spoke for looseness...
Unless you have a crap wheel, you'll barely check every year, let alone every day for loose spokes.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,314
There are some requirements for a tour along the Silk Road I'm considering, and one is spoked wheels. They won't allow a bike with cast wheels on the tour. Too fragile.

That said, I'd love to get a set of spoked rims for the wife's F650GS twin. I'm scanning feverishly...
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
There are some requirements for a tour along the Silk Road I'm considering, and one is spoked wheels. They won't allow a bike with cast wheels on the tour. Too fragile.

That said, I'd love to get a set of spoked rims for the wife's F650GS twin. I'm scanning feverishly...
I live in Vancouver too and have the 650 Twin and would love to find out what you come up with.

Mark
Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #21
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
[quote=bxr140]FYI,

Specifically with the BMW cast vs BMW spoked? I doubt it, but I can't say for sure. In general though, cast wheels are FAR more fragile than spoked. There's a reason vehicles meant for rough terrain DON'T have cast wheels.

every one says this yet in anyforum where i have asked for poeple that have actually bent or broken a cast rim i've had very few replies! alot of people telling me they are soft or brittle but very few that have actually damaged 1
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
every one says this yet in anyforum where i have asked for poeple that have actually bent or broken a cast rim i've had very few replies! alot of people telling me they are soft or brittle but very few that have actually damaged 1
If it matters, all four [cast] wheels I had for my f4i (cbr600) were dented to some degree.

Two random thoughts:

1. Don't confuse specific hardware (like the notoriously soft BMW rims on the 800 and 650XC) with the general rule of thumb.

2. If you haven't damaged cast wheels on the terrain you ride, it's really a non-issue, isn't it?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #23
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
If it matters, all four [cast] wheels I had for my f4i (cbr600) were dented to some degree.

Two random thoughts:

1. Don't confuse specific hardware (like the notoriously soft BMW rims on the 800 and 650XC) with the general rule of thumb.

2. If you haven't damaged cast wheels on the terrain you ride, it's really a non-issue, isn't it?
you are quite correct on both counts thou it would be nice to see some sort of test on this issue just to know how much difference there is.
Beta Techno
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
kd5pff
beemer

Oddometer: 64
So just so we are clear, no one has found a spoke rim for the 650? I don't mind tubes. Are the rims from the 800 compatible?

I would like to get a set of spoke rims for some really aggressive knobbies, then Ill keep my stock cast rims just for the street. Then I can switch them depending on the trip I have planed.

Anyone doing this on these bikes?

kd5pff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #25
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Laugh

I have tried real hard to bend the wheels on my F650GS twin, no luck yet. I have tried on other bikes with some success.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #26
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Bump.

Any update folks?
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

has anyone checked into the rims like on the new yamaha 1200 adv bike? my beta has a spoked tubeless rear that is simular?
Beta Techno
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #28
Flax
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Tubless

Look at TUbliss. I just got the 21" TUbliss for my front rim on the KLR. Jeff said that it will be March before he expects to have a TUbliss system for the rear 17".
www.TUbliss.com
More later on how it works for me. Also, check out the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News for a write-up about TUbliss.
Mark.
Flax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #29
Geoff3DMN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
every one says this yet in anyforum where i have asked for poeple that have actually bent or broken a cast rim
Are you talking cast rims in general or specifically the BMW F650GS (twin) cast rims?

If generally then I have personally dented the front rim of a Suzuki GSX750F (Katana in the US) and the front rim of a Suzuki GSX1100G, both happened when I hit a pothole in a poor quality tar road. The bike dropped into the pothole partway and the rims impacted the far (almost vertical) edge of the pothole. Some of the rural roads in remote Australia are of poor quality. Perhaps that says more about Suzuki rims than cast rims in general but it's a contributing factor in my search for an adventure style bike.
Geoff3DMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #30
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Actually there is a report on this forum of damaged F658 rims, and I had a 1st hand report from a bloke who went with Compass Expeditions to South America and they had three F658 bikes with blown rims, 2 rideable and 1 a trailer job.

Woody should be very close to shipping our wheels.

Mike.C screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 06:55 AM
Mike.C is online now   Reply With Quote