ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #1696
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
cheaper alternative

hand warmers...ever heard of em? hell get a couple packs and throw em in yer glove before you head out. Cant be too awfully bad. I dont own any heated gear or riding gear period. A couple layers of long johns and a nice hefty set of coveralls works fine for me. Maybe I'm just a stupid kid who has some learning to do or something like that...

I'll be back up and running again in the next month or so, so WATCH OUT!!
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #1697
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,589
Gerbing's! Seven year old gloves, jacket, pant and sox have been faithful since 2003. If they went in the trash today I got my monies worth.

"I'd rather explain high price than apologize for poor quality"

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #1698
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss
Gerbing's! Seven year old gloves, jacket, pant and sox have been faithful since 2003. If they went in the trash today I got my monies worth.

"I'd rather explain high price than apologize for poor quality"
Yeah we've decided to switch to Grebings. Frank might become a distributor. Prices are the same as firstgear too. Plus newer technology.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #1699
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,138
If you're looking for heated gear you might check out http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml. It's Gerbing's outlet store. It's supposed to be B-stock products. Slight blemishes and that kind of thing. I bought a jacket and dual controller a few years ago and haven't had any problems with it.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #1700
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Widder

For those looking for heated gear---- here is another option. I've had Widder gear for probably 20 years. They have went out of business---but when I went searching for some parts (plugs and thermostat)---I found this website that is selling all their stuff------cheap. Seems everything widder made is still available.

It's here: http://www.ibaestore.com/products.as...&SID=435632090

I found this extremely interesting---a llittle bit of heated clothing history.
Mr. Widder was the first to make motorcycle heated clothing. He got the idea from when he was in the airforce. They had heated 24volt suits in the unheated airplanes when they were at extreme altitudes. They just plugged them into the plane. He took one home-------plugged it into his 6-volt Harley Davidson-----didn't work very well---but idea was born and the rest is history---and thanks to Mr. Widder we are all nice and toasty today.
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #1701
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
throwing this out for heck of it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post11810612

goal is eight bikes at least . it will be a 28 ft trailer so plenty of room for camping . 15 pass-anger van.
if not i leave by myself... and have a good time.
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #1702
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
HOT DAMN boys!!! shes finally goin back together. just got tree bearings greased and trees back on, got fork seals done last weekend so front end should be back together today.

been tore down fpr a few weeks now. did the cam chain and mcct swap a couple weeks ago, did valve adjust while in there.

as soon as new tire and wheel bearings get here i will swap them and pull swingarm to grease that.... then i will finally be done with this thing. for now...

oh... couldnt have done it without my trusty sidekick, she gave me her opinion when needed..

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #1703
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,740
Looks like fun Tpar, come spring time we should do another group ride at redbird or some other off roading. Maybe this time ill be riding more rather than soaking up the sun

Also, ive been looking back through this thread and I saw some of your older posts. Some of the places looked really cool, I might have to PM you when it gets closer to spring to help me plan some actual adventure rides rather than my normal dualsport rides.
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #1704
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220

I'm sure Jade did most of the brain work.......BTW how many Bud Lights did you go through on that job

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #1705
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Quote:
I'm sure Jade did most of the brain work.......BTW how many Bud Lights did you go through on that job

she is the brains of the outfit for sure.. and... job isn't done yet, so... i will prolly have more $ wrapped up in bud light than in bike parts!!

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #1706
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 416
Sigh----I'm sitting at home for another weekend. This winter sucks.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #1707
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Quote:
Sigh----I'm sitting at home for another weekend. This winter sucks.

ya, but just think about all the work u can get done to the house that u been puttin off till winter.

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #1708
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 416
Thinking--highly overrated

Hey tpar--the problem now is that i'm just thinking about the work, not doing it. Putzing with the ride report instead. Got my priorities straight.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #1709
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Well hell since everybody's givin updates and stuff, I'll post some of my updates....Pictures will follow in a couple of days. Here's what i've got so far...

I tore down the 650's jug and damn near smacked the ground with my jaw. There is a huge concave dome on the top of my piston that used to be flat!! I guess thats what 6000 miles in 2 weeks will do to you. Anywho, I had to order another piston ~ $220 , and i also got a discount on a fork brace, so i picked one up as well ~ $90 . So, now all I gotta do is verify a date that Woodsrat can come and help a fellow ADV'r out with changing my countershaft out as well as adding a kickstart and NX650 2nd gear to the bottom end. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO HELP IS MORE THAN WELCOME TO!! I think its going to be this weekend, but I'll make sure before I post anything. We'll be doing it at my uncles place. Nice, big, heated shop...pool table, music, beer...you get the idea

As for other things...I just got back from Michigan tonight, and it was AWESOME! I'd never been on a snowmobile before, but I got used to one pretty quick. I'll post some pictures of that all later tonight when I upload them. To say the least, we went about 500 miles in the 3 days that we were there, and it felt like we were racing at a super fast pace for about 350 of it! It was a BLAST!
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #1710
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscompto
Well hell since everybody's givin updates and stuff, I'll post some of my updates....Pictures will follow in a couple of days. Here's what i've got so far...

I tore down the 650's jug and damn near smacked the ground with my jaw. There is a huge concave dome on the top of my piston that used to be flat!! I guess thats what 6000 miles in 2 weeks will do to you. Anywho, I had to order another piston ~ $220 , and i also got a discount on a fork brace, so i picked one up as well ~ $90 . So, now all I gotta do is verify a date that Woodsrat can come and help a fellow ADV'r out with changing my countershaft out as well as adding a kickstart and NX650 2nd gear to the bottom end. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO HELP IS MORE THAN WELCOME TO!! I think its going to be this weekend, but I'll make sure before I post anything. We'll be doing it at my uncles place. Nice, big, heated shop...pool table, music, beer...you get the idea

As for other things...I just got back from Michigan tonight, and it was AWESOME! I'd never been on a snowmobile before, but I got used to one pretty quick. I'll post some pictures of that all later tonight when I upload them. To say the least, we went about 500 miles in the 3 days that we were there, and it felt like we were racing at a super fast pace for about 350 of it! It was a BLAST!

You had me at beer.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote