ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #2341
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat719
Heading to Interlake on Saturday for the first time on my KTM 640 ADV. Planning to be there from around 10:00 AM until around 3:00 PM. Will be taking along lunch and drinks for the day in the panniers.

How limited will I be on the trails with the panniers mounted on the bike?

Just curious...
I don't know the trail numbers,but be careful which trails you attempt,you can get into trials bike stuff on some of the Jeep trails.When I was Jeepin' down there I'd stop and walk something before driving it,might be advisable look before you leap,stop where you can get turned around and survey the trail ahead. There is more stuff at Interlake for adv bikes than redbird,just be cautious and don't get hurt!
P.S. save Shawnee for when I can come along,I just have to go get this trials bike this weekend as I've been obsessing on getting a water cooled trialler to save my vintage bike for competitions. I have family obligations for the next two weekends afterwards and a trials event in Dayton on aug14th and 15th,maybe aug 7th and 8th? Or will the beginning of school have you two up to your ears in work?

BTW,we will have a decent loop at my buddy Austin's place that will be negotiable by Adventure bikes soon!

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #2342
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
Thanks Doug,

We decided not to head to Shawnee this weekend and save an overnight for another time after we've had a chance to do a little more research on camping in the area.

Saturday will just be a fun little excursion. I won't be doing anything crazy on the 640... I think it will be Tim's first ever experience riding off road, so we will keep it pretty tame.

I may end up getting a 250 dirt bike in the not too distant future to do some of the more technical off road stuff. The 640 ADV, while quite capable, is still a bit too heavy for the really tight stuff.

Good luck on the trails bike search.

August will get tough as school starts to ramp up. Plus I will be working the MotoGP event again this year, so late August I'll be at IMS for 4 days solid.

Jeff
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #2343
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Wait until I get the late model trials bike before you go looking for a trailbike,we'll put you on it at Austin's,Starting trials at 50 years old seems late in life,but I can definately handle my LC4e much better now that I put trials techniques to use on it.
I'd put you onto my vintage trialler but drum brakes kinda are a turn off for most,and my aircooled disc brake trialls bike needs to be gone through to make sure piston is sound,haven't had her apart yet.

Quote:
Thanks Doug,

We decided not to head to Shawnee this weekend and save an overnight for another time after we've had a chance to do a little more research on camping in the area.

Saturday will just be a fun little excursion. I won't be doing anything crazy on the 640... I think it will be Tim's first ever experience riding off road, so we will keep it pretty tame.

I may end up getting a 250 dirt bike in the not too distant future to do some of the more technical off road stuff. The 640 ADV, while quite capable, is still a bit too heavy for the really tight stuff.

Good luck on the trails bike search.

August will get tough as school starts to ramp up. Plus I will be working the MotoGP event again this year, so late August I'll be at IMS for 4 days solid.

Jeff

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #2344
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
TripleThreat719

If your looking for a excellent bike. I have one, a DRZ400E, Baja Kit, Street Legal, FMF Q2 Exhaust, Handguards, Speedometer, Fender & Tank Bags.
2003 Will be glad to e-mail pictures. Located Southern Indiana
Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #2345
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Heading to Interlake on Saturday for the first time on my KTM 640 ADV. Planning to be there from around 10:00 AM until around 3:00 PM. Will be taking along lunch and drinks for the day in the panniers.

How limited will I be on the trails with the panniers mounted on the bike?

Just curious...
Most of the trails are at least 4 wheeler width, so panniers shouldn't be a problem. Water hole depth, mud holes from 4 wheelers and jeeps may be a problem going around em. I found some trails to deep to try on a KLR with stock tires, by myself to try, and turned around. Fun ride tho. If I wansn't working I'd ride down with ya.
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #2346
bsplyr500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
God I miss my bike and southern indiana. Germany is nice, but I still don't have my bike here. Keep postin up the ride pics.
bsplyr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #2347
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,500
we are sittin in our room in moab at the moment coolin our heels, it's hot as hell here..

and that was yesterday at 6pm! it's hotter than that now. we got back from a ride this am and are gonna head back out in a bit. moab is awesome!!! lotsa riding out here.

i got a bunch of pics and video, but will post more when we get back... but for now i got a few teasers.

what the hell kinda conv store is this..

the dewey bridge, or whats left of it after some punk ass kids set it a blaze a couple years ago.

random shot as we get closer..

and a couple videos of our shenanigans...

cane creek..

poison spider..

soverign trail system..

like i said.... moab is awesome!!

more to come.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.

tpar1220 screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 02:49 PM
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #2348
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

another, but my limit has been reached on photobucket. not sure what to do now, upgrade or go elsewhere?

photobucket is pissin me..... with these damn links.

Cockroaches & KLRs.

tpar1220 screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 02:50 PM
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #2349
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

oh yeah, forgot about these... i couldn't sleep, but these two puds had no problems.

oh and don't think i have stunk so bad in a long ass time. get up, ride all day and sweat like a pig... my boots got some kinda jungle rot thing goin on at the moment... you can allmost see the funk vapors rollin outta them.

but that aint shit compared to jerry n rick..... those two are in a league of their own.... fo sho!

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #2350
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

another from soverign...

Cockroaches & KLRs.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #2351
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Wow! Moab. Paul goes to Colorado and you guys head even farther out West.

Looks like a great time, guys. Have fun and post of bunch of pics when you get back!
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #2352
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
that is awesome! Man I wish I was out there. Ah who am I complaining, I get to go racing Sunday.

Lov the videos, they look really clear.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #2353
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardroad
If your looking for a excellent bike. I have one, a DRZ400E, Baja Kit, Street Legal, FMF Q2 Exhaust, Handguards, Speedometer, Fender & Tank Bags.
2003 Will be glad to e-mail pictures. Located Southern Indiana
Hardroad
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking for a DRZ400. If I make the decision to get a smaller bike for tighter trails, it will most likely be a 250.

I just got the 640 Adventure and haven't even taken it off road yet. Perhaps it will do everything I'm interested in. Time will tell.

I'm sure I will learn a lot tomorrow at Interlake about how well it will fit my needs.

It was purchased for a 30 day trip to Alaska next summer, and I know it will be perfect for the intended route for that trip. Just not sure about other offroad exploits yet...
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #2354
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Thumb

If anyone is out and about today Frank is having a open house. Sounds like a good time. He just remodled too. Great shop, Great guy. Stop by and check it out!

http://www.outdoorpurrformance.com/
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #2355
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,850
Anyone out riding in the south today should stop by Franks shop (TooSlow4u) in Avoca. Motorcycle dyno will be there all weekend making pulls. Food and drink. Door prizes. Good company and a great time. Saw a couple bikes on the dyno last night. It's pretty cool. Might strap the DRZ on there today.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote