ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #2506
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
OK, so.......rode in my first dual sport today. Had my butt kicked multiple times. I knew I didn't have any experience riding off road so I thought this would be a good way to learn and to gain experience. Well, I did learn a bunch and I had an experience to say the least. Here's the first thing I learned........I was in no way shape or form ready to do this. The second thing I learned was the folks over at Stoney are good people.....treated us right and made it a point to check on me and TT when they found out how little experience I had. Lastly TT719 is a pretty good guy........poor schlub helped me pick up my bike more times than I can count and encouraged me all day.

So, long story short, I believe it was too much too quick. But I had a blast and would like to do it again........maybe ........at an easier venue. So how do you get experience.......but at a lesser level?
You want experience? I can take you out to motosupreme or redbird next time I go. How about that?

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #2507
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,737
Iron bridges....

dualhabit (Jerry J.) and I had a ride northwest of Salem today. Great weather and roads. Found some new gravel and even some rutted mud that was supposed to go through, but not for our pigs. Couple cool iron bridges which most of you folks know well.

Here's a few pics, well more than a few but I've always been picture happy. Thought we might even run into some of the Bedford gang.

White river iron bridge...

Here's the now closed iron bridge at Sparks Ferry. Looked OK for smallish bikes...

Indiana is such a beautiful state. Always love my adventures there.

Jerry in the boonies...

I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #2508
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,073
Camp Atterbury

Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say hello... Looks like I may be heading to Camp Atterbury for a couple months.... Probably Oct/Nov time frame....

Will be bringing my scoots and will want to see what you all have to offer..... I normaly ride my 05 KLR which I have ridden everything from Fast Gravel roads to tight single track (wasn't fun ) I will take it just about anywhere once.... I now have a new to me KLX650 and man what a bike... anyhow..

I really hope I don't come up there.. No offense.... but I would rather go back home to NC but the J.O.B. may require me to be there... SO BE IT!!!!... I will make the best of a crappy situation.....

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #2509
jnberr0
Priller Pilot

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat719
Wow... Talk about drinking from a Fire Hose!

TheBigLebowski and I headed over to the Buffaloe 500 today and did the dual sport ride. I rode my KTM 640 Adventure and he rode his DRZ400E...

My first time riding in the woods since I was a kid... and TheBigLebowski's first time ever riding in the woods...

Had an absolute blast... Only dropped the big pig twice today... Once at a stand still when my feet wouldn't reach the ground and once going up a hill when the rear washed out on an exposed root while in the throttle...

All-in-all a great day and a tremendous learning experience... Great preparation for the LBL in September...

Special thanks to the guys at Stoney Lonesome Motorcycle Club for putting on a great event (and for loaning me a Roll Chart).

Good times...

I'll go back next year, but I hope to be on a lighter weight bike. The 640 Adventure is a very capable machine. It impressed me, but it was a bit of work...
Man, I saw you guys go into the paintball section and was wondering about you and that big ol' 640. My 650L was a little too much bike on a few of those tighter sections. I can't imagine hustling an Adventure through some of that single track. I'm definitely bringing my 250 next year!

Glad you guys made it out in one piece and hope you had a good time!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #2510
jnberr0
Priller Pilot

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
OK, so.......rode in my first dual sport today. Had my butt kicked multiple times. I knew I didn't have any experience riding off road so I thought this would be a good way to learn and to gain experience. Well, I did learn a bunch and I had an experience to say the least. Here's the first thing I learned........I was in no way shape or form ready to do this. The second thing I learned was the folks over at Stoney are good people.....treated us right and made it a point to check on me and TT when they found out how little experience I had. Lastly TT719 is a pretty good guy........poor schlub helped me pick up my bike more times than I can count and encouraged me all day.

So, long story short, I believe it was too much too quick. But I had a blast and would like to do it again........maybe ........at an easier venue. So how do you get experience.......but at a lesser level?
Don't feel too bad, Lebowski. Some of that Buffaloe stuff was pretty technical riding. Difficult even on a 400E. I know I did my share of dropping my 650L!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #2511
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
well, this may NOt apply. But I was in my FJ-Cruiser heading from Knoxville, TN to the greater Chicago area and took a bit of a side-trip.

We ended up taking Hwy 150 from Louisville (KY) over to Vincennes, IN. Now THAT was a very interesting side-trip. I only wish I was on the bike.
Map

An excellent stop was at a drive-in eatery that I just HAD to stop by. Another good 'stumble-upon'. In the town of Shoals, IN. was Bo-Mac's. A worthy stop. I'll be back in that area on the bike early this fall, I'm sure.

Just thought I'd mention it here... (although it's probable already been mentioned in here somewhere).

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #2512
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by header
You want experience? I can take you out to motosupreme or redbird next time I go. How about that?
Some mean MEAN stuff at both places. Across the road and the south west section of Redbird are pretty challenging. Almost ALL of moto is pretty mean. DON'T GET HIM KILLED HEADER!!

I wanna go though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson
Will be bringing my scoots and will want to see what you all have to offer.....
Keep an eye on this thread. Always someone riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little
Bo-Mac's
Newly remodeled!! I haven't been since though. Thanks for the reminder!
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #2513
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Subscribed......
Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #2514
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnberr0
Man, I saw you guys go into the paintball section and was wondering about you and that big ol' 640. My 650L was a little too much bike on a few of those tighter sections. I can't imagine hustling an Adventure through some of that single track. I'm definitely bringing my 250 next year!

Glad you guys made it out in one piece and hope you had a good time!
Well, the 640 Adventure is an amazingly capable bike... Much more capable than this rider...

However, I felt pretty good about how I did. I wasn't breaking any speed records, that's for sure!

We only rode the following properties:

Stoney - out to the back gate
Paintball
Jones
Fleetwood and
the last property up and over the hill back to 46 (can't remember the name)

We skipped some of the middle properties in favor of eating and rehydrating back at Stoney...

I fully intend to return next year, but with a smaller lighter bike...

Right now my short list is:

KTM 450 EXC
Aprilia RXV 450
Husqvarna TE 449
BMW G450X or
Suzuki DRZ 400 E

I know that the smart money would probably be on the Suzuki, but I've always been one for the oddball stuff... ant really include the KTM in the oddball category, but the others are much less prevalent in a crowd...

Thoughts?
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #2515
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
+1 on the XR250 suggestion

But there's a 08 Husky TE450 on Indianapolis craigslist that only has 11 miles on it...

dr350's work good,xr400's are fun once converted to street legal.

Bill Super and me were out riding last weekend,we decided Kawasaki Super Sherpas might be interesting as we realized we couldn't drag or big dually's under this gate we came to...

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv

dmay screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 06:15 PM
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #2516
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson
Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say hello... Looks like I may be heading to Camp Atterbury for a couple months.... Probably Oct/Nov time frame....

Will be bringing my scoots and will want to see what you all have to offer..... I normaly ride my 05 KLR which I have ridden everything from Fast Gravel roads to tight single track (wasn't fun ) I will take it just about anywhere once.... I now have a new to me KLX650 and man what a bike... anyhow..

I really hope I don't come up there.. No offense.... but I would rather go back home to NC but the J.O.B. may require me to be there... SO BE IT!!!!... I will make the best of a crappy situation.....

WP
My dad's property butts right up to Camp Atterbury. He lives just off of Cordry Lake (on the west side of Camp Atterbury). There are a couple of really old and abandoned fire trails that are right behind the house. I've walked them all before but never been on them with a bike. If you come up here in a couple months, we'll have to try it out!
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #2517
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Well, the 640 Adventure is an amazingly capable bike... Much more capable than this rider...

However, I felt pretty good about how I did. I wasn't breaking any speed records, that's for sure!

We only rode the following properties:

Stoney - out to the back gate
Paintball
Jones
Fleetwood and
the last property up and over the hill back to 46 (can't remember the name)

We skipped some of the middle properties in favor of eating and rehydrating back at Stoney...

I fully intend to return next year, but with a smaller lighter bike...

Right now my short list is:

KTM 450 EXC
Aprilia RXV 450
Husqvarna TE 449
BMW G450X or
Suzuki DRZ 400 E

I know that the smart money would probably be on the Suzuki, but I've always been one for the oddball stuff... ant really include the KTM in the oddball category, but the others are much less prevalent in a crowd...

Thoughts?

Here is my take on your list if your new to offroad riding I wouldn't start with your first 4 choices even used I'm guessing you are still in the 5-6k range........then again you may be one of them rich fellars .

DRZ's can be bought for less than 2k and are decent bikes,and I have one so thats why I can say decent.

Like Woodsrat said too look at smaller bikes,a 250 is fine for offroad/dualsport riding,and alot of guys are going to the smaller cc bikes. They have there advantages in the woods thats for sure.

But really it all boils down to rider and not machine,for instance the KLR gets dogged like crazy about how heavy and slow and how bad this and that is, but watch a video of HolyCaveman riding his

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #2518
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscompto
My dad's property butts right up to Camp Atterbury. He lives just off of Cordry Lake (on the west side of Camp Atterbury). There are a couple of really old and abandoned fire trails that are right behind the house. I've walked them all before but never been on them with a bike. If you come up here in a couple months, we'll have to try it out!
Hey brother... sounds like fun... I will check you out if I get up there...

Life gives you lemons... take your motorcycle run over it... then roost the f'ing f'er that gave you the lemon and ride like hell.....
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #2519
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
I'm not new to woods riding, but returning from a very long absence... I've considered the 250's but I'm kind of a HP junkie... Afraid I might get bored...
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #2520
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
I'm not new to woods riding, but returning from a very long absence... I've considered the 250's but I'm kind of a HP junkie... Afraid I might get bored...
the new 250's are pretty powerful. If you are looking for a really fun time, get a 2-stroke 250. My CR250 is ALWAYS a blast and is constantly surprising me at how much power it has.
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote