ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #61
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,546
not much of a ride today...rode from barn to garage...

decided to install new left hand control, the one with the headlight off switch...then do a valve check...that i have not done in 21,000 miles...

the klr is pretty easy to work on, removed fairing, then little plastic wire harness protector...then just unpluggedleft hand control plug, removed from bars and hooked up new one. it was really that easy.

this switch has 3 positions for lights, all the way up runs all lights as usual, flip it to center position and run tail light only, flip it to bottom position and all lights are off.

even has this cool switch on back side of control, it's a flash to pass button...no matter what position light switch is in, just press this button and it flashes high beam...nice.

had some running around to do, when i got back...my dog was tryin to tell me to go lay on couch and drink beer, that pesky valve check can wait a little longer.

i agreed....i know i need to do it, but i lack the motivation to tear into a perfectly good running motorcycle...and i just know i will drop something down in there when i get it opened up.

we have a pretty good group of people here now, and 4 of u are on klr's, and i know 3 of em need valve checks...maybe we could get a tech day scheduled.

at least that way we could all stand around and point fingers and screw up or bikes at once....i am pretty good at dropping shit down inside motors...and i can snap a bolt off with the best of em.

i have the space, and the tools, but live about the farthest away, maybe somewhere around the bedford area....if not, thats cool...i can screw my bike up on my own....no problem.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #62
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 381
Tech-Day?

Work on KLR'sday?

Now ya says sumtin about it.... ya bastage.
taday i tore the crap outta the right side ta get ta those phookin water n oil seals. gonna replace them clutch springs too.
then after that me's is gonna put on all the reindeer shit that was left under the secrect christmas tree in the barn. sum call them pharkles.

if ya needs sumwhere to do it, ya can do it here. jest as long as no more than 3 cops er 4 fire trucks get called durin work ours.
lots of space, tools, hammers, saws, heavy equipment, but no heat.

so's i say yeah, lets have a klrsday. hell, sumone bring sumtin else and we'll tear it up too....

ur friend.
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #63
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,910
KLR work day?? HA!
Get a Suzuki. All we do is ride ride ride.

heheeee
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #64
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo
KLR work day?? HA!
Get a Suzuki. All we do is ride ride ride.
Same with the ol' Yamadog here. Although, I did manage to shut it down long enough to service it today. Been rackin' up the miles lately and she was due for a fresh oil & filter change. Ready to go again now though

TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #65
Glockowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I would appreciate a KLR tech day. I would really like to do the doo on mine. Plus I would like to do the 22 cent carb shim mod, and I am not very mechanical, so help would be great.
Glockowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #66
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockownerKLR
I would appreciate a KLR tech day. I would really like to do the doo on mine. Plus I would like to do the 22 cent carb shim mod, and I am not very mechanical, so help would be great.
22 cent carb shim mod? Guess I haven't heard of that. What's that all about?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #67
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockownerKLR
I just did mine Thursday. Not much of a wrencher, but I'm learning!
I'd love to attend a klr tech day.

Click

I do want to do the valve check and maybe next winter do the 685 rebuild.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #68
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
I'm up for a tech day sometime. Not that the KLR requires alot of upkeep,besides tech days are usually BS sessions anyways while one guy works on his bike everyone else gives useless tips.

As far as Suzuki goes I've got one that won't start for shit. It's really starting to piss me off. I'm thinking I kept the wrong bike. I miss the realiability of the Honda.

No offense to any Suzuki owners. I'm sure my attitude towards them will change if mine ever runs again

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White

KneeKicker screwed with this post 01-17-2009 at 10:52 PM
KneeKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #69
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 381
Doo Tool

hey glock,
i have doo tools ifin ya wanna git that stock pita doo outta thar.
but make sure ya git yur new doo from eagle mike. heres the link.

http://www.eagle-m-e.com/

ur friend
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #70
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Speaking of needing help...

I had a guy approach me yesterday about purchasing, what he described, as a Honda XL250. He said it has turn signals, headlight, tail light & horn on it. He also said that he doesn't have a title for it. He doesn't have much more info about the bike as he just now picked it up. He mentioned that it's already had the police check done on the bike and that he got a bill of sale from the guy he bought it from and he'd give me one too if I wanted the bike.

My question is this... Does anyone here know what kind of ordeal it would be to get this thing titled in the state of IN with just a bill of sale? Would it be worth the hassle or just impossible? In the past, I've always had a clear title to work with and have never traveled down this road before.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #71
jdubb75
pIgrIDeR

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U
I had a guy approach me yesterday about purchasing, what he described, as a Honda XL250. He said it has turn signals, headlight, tail light & horn on it. He also said that he doesn't have a title for it. He doesn't have much more info about the bike as he just now picked it up. He mentioned that it's already had the police check done on the bike and that he got a bill of sale from the guy he bought it from and he'd give me one too if I wanted the bike.

My question is this... Does anyone here know what kind of ordeal it would be to get this thing titled in the state of IN with just a bill of sale? Would it be worth the hassle or just impossible? In the past, I've always had a clear title to work with and have never traveled down this road before.
If the VIN clears and you have a proper bill of sale filled out it's just a matter of taking that info to the DMV and applying for a lost title. There's a small fee and the usual waiting game, but after a few weeks you should be good to go.
jdubb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #72
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,138
I don't have a KLR but might want to attend a tech day.

Do you think you guys could change my oil, adjust my valves, and change my tires for me? Maybe polish it up a bit as well?

I've never done any wrenching or cleaning and I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in leaning, I'd just rather have you guys do it for me.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #73
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene

Do you think you guys could change my oil, adjust my valves, and change my tires for me? Maybe polish it up a bit as well?

I've never done any wrenching or cleaning and I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in leaning, I'd just rather have you guys do it for me.

Here's the deal, we will work on your bike for free beer. But the catch is we only start working on your bike after we drink all the beer.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #74
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:

well, we know what a tight ass you are...and how u will not spend any cash on anything foolish..i am certain we can be talked into airing up your tires.....as long as u can part with some of the things u will spend your cash on......u know, hookers n blow!!

tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #75
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,138

You guys are no help.

Fine, I guess I can bring beer. I can also bring hookers and blow. Tim gets the one with the adams apple though.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote