ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #8581
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Oddometer: 54
I went camping and hiking back in HNF past the gated bridge off Combs road a few weeks ago. My party and I saw a convoy of 4x4s driving on some of the roads and they actually passed our camp too. My brother and I talked to some locals and they told us how to bypass the bridge( how the trucks got back there). We took his jeep almost to our camp. I was thinking about riding out there on those same trails until I read these last few posts. So are the D.I.R.T. designated trails the only dirt trails we can ride in HNF?
kyjenkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #8582
beewill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I know its beating a dead horse, but other than hunters, I can't see what the bother would be to use the closed roads as D/S trails.

It makes it even more fustrating when you read offical "reports" such as this one that they type up now and again to justify why we can ride in those areas. What a joke.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5302778.pdf

“A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.”
― Oscar Wilde
beewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #8583
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewill View Post
I know its beating a dead horse, but other than hunters, I can't see what the bother would be to use the closed roads as D/S trails.

It makes it even more fustrating when you read offical "reports" such as this one that they type up now and again to justify why we can ride in those areas. What a joke.
That horse has been beat to death,revived,and beat to death again and again,

I am on both sides of riding in the HNF, I think if managed properly it would be fine,but like most trail systems people just wanna ride ride ride,and never help maintain. Oh everybody is down for helping out until the time comes then you have soccer,T ball,yard sales,aunt weezy came into town,etc,etc.

Opening the HNF to offroad use will never happen,it just wont,they keep closing existing forest trails all over the country. So why would they open up the beloved HNF to a bunch of wildass dirt bike riders.

If you feel the need to "explore" the trails then do so at your own risk and enjoy.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #8584
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 371
How much will it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewill View Post
What is the penalty if the man catches one of us enjoying what joy there could be had beyond the barriers?

Bedford, IN – April 3, 2012. Two gates were erected Monday to block illegal off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding on the Huron-Scarlet Road and County Road 825 North.
With the cooperation of the Orange County Commissioners, the Hoosier National Forest is closing these unimproved county roads to motor vehicle traffic. Darren Norrington, Civil Engineer on the Hoosier National Forest, explained, “The only traffic using the roads was off-road trucks and all-terrain vehicles, and both were getting off the roads and causing significant resource damage.”

Norrington estimates by closing the 0.75 mile Huron-Scarlet Road, also called Fox Hollow Road, and the 1.2 mile old County Road 825 North, the Hoosier has eliminated access to 6-7 miles of illegal OHV trails on the Forest. “Though gates have been installed, foot traffic is welcome,” Norrington said, and in fact said a mushroom hunter in the area Monday was pleased that the Forest was closing the area to the illegal traffic.
The Forest plans to return to the area later this year to rehabilitate the damage and disturbed area in Orange County caused by the OHV riders. Norrington said many of the trails were in close proximity to the stream and are causing water quality concerns.
Law enforcement officers will increase patrols in the area to ensure OHV riders do not continue to use the area or go behind the gates. Illegal riders can be fined up to $375 and have their vehicle impounded.
For more information contact the Bedford Office at 812-275-5987.

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #8585
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 812
To know Indiana is to know its' provincial nature.
I would venture a guess that the most serious damage done in HNF boundries is done by lifted fwds, 4 wheelers and local talent.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #8586
beewill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Google "Chalonda Jasper" and check out the results. A Chalonda Jasper was arrested 7-21-07 by the Tallahasse (FL) police for petty theft. The mug shot sure looks like her and they said she was 5'4" tall and 225 lbs. The Chalonda who now works for the USFS went to school at Florida A & M in Tallahassee, graduating in 2008.

Another Chalonda Jasper from Indiana sued a baby formula company and lost. Multiple hits there.

Anyone want to take the bet that this is the same person?
I figured you'd get a kick out of that. That's one of the first things that comes up when you Google " motorcycle trails Hoosier national". Its good to see our tax dollars paying for such good Geo Technical information for use in our State and National parks. I certainly learned a lot.

“A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.”
― Oscar Wilde
beewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #8587
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Eek 2nd thought

My little gears are starting to turn. Hmmm. I have a big enough rack for my treestand and bow on my bike, i have a huntig license, now i just need a handi-camp permit. On another note there is about 150 acres behind our house that has been ridden on since the 60-70's by locals and others. My brother was walking back there the other day and came upon a state C.O. and they talked for a minute. He said he was looking for hunters??? I thought that was kinda odd because ive never seen anybody back there during bow season "dont ask me how i know" but shotgun season alot of there employees hunt back there. He didnt say anything to my brother about trespassing and he was hiking on the property which has no trespassing signs. There have been a few guys riding atv's with loud pipes lately and thats my guess why he was there but who knows.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #8588
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljak View Post
Bedford, IN – April 3, 2012. Two gates were erected Monday to block illegal off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding on the Huron-Scarlet Road and County Road 825 North.
With the cooperation of the Orange County Commissioners, the Hoosier National Forest is closing these unimproved county roads to motor vehicle traffic. Darren Norrington, Civil Engineer on the Hoosier National Forest, explained, “The only traffic using the roads was off-road trucks and all-terrain vehicles, and both were getting off the roads and causing significant resource damage.”

Norrington estimates by closing the 0.75 mile Huron-Scarlet Road, also called Fox Hollow Road, and the 1.2 mile old County Road 825 North, the Hoosier has eliminated access to 6-7 miles of illegal OHV trails on the Forest. “Though gates have been installed, foot traffic is welcome,” Norrington said, and in fact said a mushroom hunter in the area Monday was pleased that the Forest was closing the area to the illegal traffic.
The Forest plans to return to the area later this year to rehabilitate the damage and disturbed area in Orange County caused by the OHV riders. Norrington said many of the trails were in close proximity to the stream and are causing water quality concerns.
Law enforcement officers will increase patrols in the area to ensure OHV riders do not continue to use the area or go behind the gates. Illegal riders can be fined up to $375 and have their vehicle impounded.
For more information contact the Bedford Office at 812-275-5987.

###

I was on the Huron-Scarlett Road on the T-dub maybe 2 days before it was closed.
Unbelievable ruts from fwd trucks and I mean deep! Local talent for sure. Lots of tracks from quads. I saw no tracks from 2 wheelers other than mine. The significant damage was from the big-ass trucks.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #8589
szramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
much less the number of them in southern Indiana.

The bottom line is these bastards don't give a rat's ass about your Constitutional rights and are bottom feeding scum suckers. (Oops, that's too good for them and it's an insult to catfish...)
man they are same way overseas, u cant do nothing , u can find him afterhours in the bar and ...
szramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #8590
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
There is some great discussion going on within the last few days, much of it is productive and being discussed from both sides of the grass. Unfortunatly its starting to trail off into, what I see, as a rant.

I wasn't there, I don't know the story, I don't really know much honestly but I do know that a reaction like this makes OUR communitty of riders, and it is ALL of us, look bad.

So if anyone is going to contribute to the conversation please do it in a professional way without degrading remarks. We're adults here, lets act like it.

Quote:

The bottom line is these bastards don't give a rat's ass about your Constitutional rights and are bottom feeding scum suckers. (Oops, that's too good for them and it's an insult to catfish...)
On a cheerier note, the GNCC ironman was a blast.

The parking lot was in typical fashion

And scruteneering went quite well

(there was another line about this long behind me)

But by the end of the day I didn't want the race to stop. Too much fun.

Here's to good weather for the ride this weekend

See you all out there

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #8591
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,331
New Bike

Woohoo. Pick up my new bike Thursday. 99 Suzuki Dr350se. Some of you may recognize it. If you do look into my pen.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #8592
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 548
So I officially got the date for my bone graft! Operation is Nov 8th up at OrthoIndy at St. Vincents. Doctor is very confident that everything will heal quickly with no complications, so that means that I'll be able to start walking by Christmas time!

I'll head out to Nashville this weekend to say Hi before everyone takes off for the HNF ride. Hope there's still a few leaves to look at!
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #8593
CJames0587
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Nice bike Nick, you riding it this weekend?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #8594
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJames0587 View Post
Nice bike Nick, you riding it this weekend?
Not sure yet.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #8595
lufin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
So I officially got the date for my bone graft! Operation is Nov 8th up at OrthoIndy at St. Vincents. Doctor is very confident that everything will heal quickly with no complications, so that means that I'll be able to start walking by Christmas time!

I'll head out to Nashville this weekend to say Hi before everyone takes off for the HNF ride. Hope there's still a few leaves to look at!
Well, at lest you will be ready to ride next spring. Hope the operation goes well.

2009 R1200GS
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
lufin is offline   Reply With Quote