ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #8731
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
I know, I know... Lotsa questions. I mean seriously.. You are not buying a house for chrise sakes!

But just as an example... Cuz we dont know you... Yet.

Maybe you are a big grizzley adams fucker that can do the clean n jerk on a klr one handed... Then, cool.

On the other hand, maybe you are a pantie waste girlie man that needs help kickin over you daughters xr 70! And when you ride that klr over at moto supreme and dump it constantly... One of us has to pick it up.... Not cool man.

Seriously though, fill in the blanks and we can help.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #8732
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 306dad View Post
tparr we are to close to not hook up and ride
Yes we are, so lets do it.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #8733
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,440
Try test riding each one.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #8734
BMWLOU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
DR650 v. KLR650

I have a BMW R1200GS and was looking for a good streetable adventure bike that weighed a 100 pounds less.

I had thought about a BMW 650 but I talked to an old friend who has a DR650 and he said he loved it. He is a past BMW GS rider and a pretty experienced tour rider. He has ridden the DR from Louisville to Mexico and back.

I found a nice used 2007 DR650 at Thornton's MC over in Versailles, IN and after riding the DR I bought it.

They have nice power and it seemed pretty nimble. Noticeably more nimble than a KLR though it has been a year or so since I have ridden one of those. I tend to be more dirt focused and think the DR is better on the rougher backroads. The KLR will certainly be more comfortable on the highways due to the increased weather protection.

I had been thinking about one of the new Honda CRF250's or w WR250, but the extra power of the 650 was just too enticing.

And I spent less than I would have on either of those.
BMWLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #8735
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,837
Jeff doesn't post often so listen when he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLOU View Post
I have a BMW R1200GS and was looking for a good streetable adventure bike that weighed a 100 pounds less.

I had thought about a BMW 650 but I talked to an old friend who has a DR650 and he said he loved it. He is a past BMW GS rider and a pretty experienced tour rider. He has ridden the DR from Louisville to Mexico and back.

I found a nice used 2007 DR650 at Thornton's MC over in Versailles, IN and after riding the DR I bought it.

They have nice power and it seemed pretty nimble. Noticeably more nimble than a KLR though it has been a year or so since I have ridden one of those. I tend to be more dirt focused and think the DR is better on the rougher backroads. The KLR will certainly be more comfortable on the highways due to the increased weather protection.

I had been thinking about one of the new Honda CRF250's or w WR250, but the extra power of the 650 was just too enticing.

And I spent less than I would have on either of those.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #8736
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,952
WR250 will run right with a DR650 in a drag race.
oPAULo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #8737
trentster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
DR 650 vs. KLR

man, you guys are as picky as a bunch of women shoe shopping No seriously, these are some good fit for purpose questions... age 44, 190lbs - I am an old MX racer from years past, raced some XC last year, and I am all over the board as I think about going dual sport or adventure... on the DS side I like the idea of the DR 650 being a bit more nimble, and it was the guy on here from Revsport in B-town that had me thinking of going DR after seeing his scoot outside the store. I really like the way you have that DR set up with mods including center stand and taller windshield. I am leaning towards that vs. the KLR. Then to only complicate things I have this other side of me that says buy true road comfort because that will be the majority of the riding I will be doing even though it might not be my preference i.e., BMW, Triumph, Vstrom type. If I lived in CO, WV, or one of the many other off road friendly states it would be a much easier decision. Ideally I think the KTM990 is the perfect match minus the price tag.

Oh, and I can buy an all stock 2007 DR 650 for around $3k right now with less than 3,000 miles.

Thanks,

trentster screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:19 AM
trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #8738
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
...and has a much, much lower first gear ratio. If you're fast or just ride on the street the DR's tall first gear won't bother you until you get into what the Limeys call a "spot of bother" and then it'll cause you to overheat the clutch. By contrast the WR has a really nice spread of gears and a relatively low first gear ratio which allows you to go slower with less clutch work.
How much dirty bike experience do you have? Are you a moto king or dirt donk?
the weight difference + the not too much power difference is why I chose a wr to replace the dr after my wreck. The dr in my mind while fun was in all actuality a big tractor which gets old for a little weenie like me to constantly pick up at motosupreme. It could do it... but it wasn't happy about it. The big dr was definitely more comfortable on the street than my little dr200 but in all actuality I had more fun chasing bigdog on his 950 adventure with my little dr200 than I did riding the bigger dr.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #8739
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentster View Post
Then to only complicate things I have this other side of me that says buy true road comfort because that will be the majority of the riding I will be doing even though it might not be my preference i.e., BMW, Triumph, Vstrom type.

If doing 90% paved road riding get a 90/10 bike like a Versys or Vstrom or even the new 700 Honda. A lot of people like the look of a GS1200 or a Tenere but in all reality would be better suited on a Goldwing since many of these "Adventure" bikes never see dirt. Then again don't get me wrong the DR has served many people over the years as a pavement commuter bike it just takes a little bit more work to make it as comfortable as some bikes that are built strictly for that purpose. That’s a pretty good buy on that DR you mentioned from what research I did when I was buying mine. The market for DS bikes is so strong right now even if you bought the bike and hated it I don’t think you will get hurt on it. Feel free to swing by and check mine out again any time!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #8740
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
@trentster- u could get an older weestrom and then perhaps a 2001 or so drz. I had an 04 weestrom. Owned it for a month or so and after it was all said and done (taxes and plates) I made $60 on the resale. It was just way to big for what I wanted. I then bought an 05 bmw Dakar. Love it. Handled the two group rides i have been on great. I do plan on keeping this bike. But I have already started to save for a 2000-'01 drz. Shhh, don't tell my wife. So two less new bikes like a weestrom and a drz maybe worth looking into.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #8741
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Wr

I'd go for a wr or something similiar.. I have alot more fun riding a small bike. Gearing is usually lower in first gear, they are lighter, handle better, cheaper on insurance, better mpg and a hoot to ride. To me its funner to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. I rode a tw which puts down 12.5-14 hp at the rear wheel on a 1567mile trip mostly pavement. The last leg was interstate from Knoxville TN to Franklin IN. No its not ideal for that but 60-65mph isnt to bad. A wr makes double the hp of my tw. I dont even like to ride my sv anymore. It feels like a pig and a vstrom or similiar bike feels like a pig compared. Like the other say it all depends on what you want to do with your bike.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #8742
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Off topic

So I finally decided to use some common sense and use my tool kit I've been dragging around for years to do all my preventable maintenance and oil changes on all 3 bikes today. I learned that if I ever needed to tighten the chain on the bmw ( which goes the furthest away from home), I would have been shit out of luck due to a 13mm wrench.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #8743
old_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
mix and match

Multiple bikes is def. the way to go. Mileage is also a factor in choosing your bike as well. I hate having to stop for fuel every 75 miles. VStrom on the highway and back roads for 250 miles per tank. KDX in the woods only but plated to get on and off the road. Take the XR when mixing the roads and woods. Id rather have two used bikes instead of one new bike for the same money
old_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #8744
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,200
I agree with all of the above.....especially owning multiply bikes ......I have a Wee Strom and it's a great street bike that I don't have tons of money in to jump on if I want to be more comfortable and take the wife cruising back roads. Can it do gravel and some off road yes in the right hands but I'd just rather ride the XRL or the WR450 if it really off roadie
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #8745
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

My signature obviously shows im in agreement.