ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8746
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,267
Off topic

So I finally decided to use some common sense and use my tool kit I've been dragging around for years to do all my preventable maintenance and oil changes on all 3 bikes today. I learned that if I ever needed to tighten the chain on the bmw ( which goes the furthest away from home), I would have been shit out of luck due to a 13mm wrench.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #8747
old_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
mix and match

Multiple bikes is def. the way to go. Mileage is also a factor in choosing your bike as well. I hate having to stop for fuel every 75 miles. VStrom on the highway and back roads for 250 miles per tank. KDX in the woods only but plated to get on and off the road. Take the XR when mixing the roads and woods. Id rather have two used bikes instead of one new bike for the same money
old_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #8748
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,094
I agree with all of the above.....especially owning multiply bikes ......I have a Wee Strom and it's a great street bike that I don't have tons of money in to jump on if I want to be more comfortable and take the wife cruising back roads. Can it do gravel and some off road yes in the right hands but I'd just rather ride the XRL or the WR450 if it really off roadie
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #8749
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,267
My signature obviously shows im in agreement.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #8750
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,010
Hey guys & gals... Just thought I'd pass this along here as I know there are plenty of you that ride trials. I happen to have a customer that stopped in today looking to sell his trials bike. I didn't know much about it (nor do I need it) but I told the guy that I knew some trails guys here that may be interested and that I'd pass it along here. He thought it may be a 50cc, although when he started it up, it sounded more like maybe a 100 or a 125cc even, to me. The whole bike seemed to be there and complete and runs really well. I asked him how much he had to have for it and he said $800. That seems a really fair price, but then again, this is outta my market so I may be way off. Anywhoooo... if any of you guys are interested, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with the name & # of the owner of it...

Honda XR "Complete" S/M Wheels For Sale ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20028089

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #8751
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,803

Here ya go Woodsrat. TU250. Get the pipe out from under it and add a high front fender. Fuel injected.
oPAULo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #8752
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #8753
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,196
its a 50cc beta cool mini bike

somebody buy this for their kid for xmas (so I can ride it)

http://youtu.be/0_O17Wgfyeg
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #8754
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Izzat Photoshopped? Or a Japanese market bike we don't get? The tank reminds me of a '71 Duster (the 125, not the Mopar).

The TU is way too complicated for my simple mind. I picked up a shop manual for one at Vintage Days and was blown away that an entire 72 page chapter is devoted just to diagnosing F. I. problems. A great bike and people love it but way too much for me to understand. In my warped mind motorcycles are supposed to be simple, lightweight machines you can fix on your own. Sadly they're getting away from that. The new CRF-250L the guy at Dreyer South keeps trying to sell me is probably a wonderful bike but 320 lbs. for a two-fiddy and complicated to boot???

Probably gonna keep what I have unless somebody comes out with something better. I don't understand F. I. and probably never will so controlled leaks are probably going to be in my future a long, long time.
Like my new CB100 Cafe Racer
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #8755
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

The first pic is Japan only TU250 Grasstracker. The second one I chopped.
The street legal TU250's available here could easily be made into this bike.

Whoever's been riding that TU for the last few rides, I can make your bike like this!!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #8756
Kegler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
What Jeff Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Jeff doesn't post often so listen when he does.
Jeff took the words right out of my mouth. I'm a former GS1100 owner who downsized to a DR650, so I know where he is coming from. I think he should post more often.......
I'm on a motorcycle and I ain't at work......it's all good!
Kegler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #8757
Kegler
Adventurer

I coundn't agree more....

Quote:
Yup. Before I swapped it for a new '86 XL-600R I did a lot of the typical riding we do around here on backroads on an '82 stripper Gold Wing. A big, heavy sumbitch it was but it also had a low CG and was very confidence inspiring on gravel roads for such a huge bike. The gas tank was mounted low, the air cleaner high and even a little shit like myself felt comfortable aboard it without the fear of it toppling over like I do when I ride modern long-travel "adventure bikes."

The same thing could be said of the street model boxer BMW's. In the early '70's--long before the G/S made it's appearance--their ads featured riders blasting about off the pavement and this was because they were lightweight and narrow between the knees. They didn't have a lot of suspension travel and sat nice and low. Add in the natural low CG of the boxer motor and you ended up with a bike that was very confidence inspiring in all conditions.

It's something I've been questioning for a long, long time. Do non-competition streetgoing bikes really need 9-12" of suspension travel? Modern suspension technology have made vintage off-road bikes a lot more fun to ride than they were when they were new. There's no reason the manufacturers couldn't build a practical "adventure" bike using the modern technology used in vintage aftermarket replacement suspension with no more than 6" of suspension travel that would get the CG down to a more manageable level for more riders. Imagine how many more bikes they'd sell if riders weren't so intimidated when they straddled heavy adventure bikes with tall seat heights in the showroom.

I used to loaf a lot at the old Greenwood Honda and saw it time and time again when a prospective customer came in looking for a recreational (non-competition) dirt bike, saw the towering seat heights on the motocross-derived off-road bikes they offered--and then headed over to look at the quads. I think the industry has shot themselves in the foot in this respect.

Like the letter-to-the-editor in the latest Cycle World said "Stop marveling at the sheerness of the emperor's new clothes and admit the dude is nude. Aggressive tires, clown-stilt suspension and wishful thinking will not transform a quarter-ton street bike into anything remotely dirt-worthy." Couldn't have said it better myself.
I couldn't agree with you more! I've been thinking for a long time that 6-7 inches of quality suspension is all I would need on an adverture/dual sport bike. Hell, I'm too old (54) to riding at an MX pace while I am offroad. Besides, I do some of my best riding when I can get my feet on the ground (LOL)!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #8758
Kegler
Adventurer

Give me a carb too!

Quote:
Izzat Photoshopped? Or a Japanese market bike we don't get? The tank reminds me of a '71 Duster (the 125, not the Mopar).

The TU is way too complicated for my simple mind. I picked up a shop manual for one at Vintage Days and was blown away that an entire 72 page chapter is devoted just to diagnosing F. I. problems. A great bike and people love it but way too much for me to understand. In my warped mind motorcycles are supposed to be simple, lightweight machines you can fix on your own. Sadly they're getting away from that. The new CRF-250L the guy at Dreyer South keeps trying to sell me is probably a wonderful bike but 320 lbs. for a two-fiddy and complicated to boot???

Probably gonna keep what I have unless somebody comes out with something better. I don't understand F. I. and probably never will so controlled leaks are probably going to be in my future a long, long time.
Once again I have to agree with you on FI. Hell, I own a 1973 Ford Ranchero with 4 barrell carb. However, I have to remind myself I could have said the same thing about electronic ignition and disc brakes. The pointless ignition I won't give up, but drum brakes are very simple although they lack the stopping power. I guess I'm getting too old for all of this new fangled technology......
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #8759
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post

Here ya go Woodsrat. TU250. Get the pipe out from under it and add a high front fender. Fuel injected.
I dig it, wish it was oil injected two stroke though..

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #8760
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
I love my KTM 640 Adventure. It's great for most all of the riding I do around here. I did the TWAT on it and I even rode the Buffaloe 500 and the LBL 200 on it. It performed well on technical single track, but it's a big fat pig to wrestle around. A Rekluse clutch would make it much easier in those tight conditions... I also love my Husqvarna TE 310, it shines in the tight woods sections and it comes from the factory street legal, so there are no worries connecting sections of trail together. I've had a blast on it at Redbird, Interlake, and LCRP. I took it to the LBL 200 this year and had an absolute blast with it. It is limited on top speed due to the close ratio six speed. It's really happy at 45 or 50, but 65 or 70 MPH is really screaming the motor, so it's definitely not well suited to long stretches of pavement where you are trying to make time.

I think I have the best of both worlds with these two bikes, but if I were in the market for one single bike, it would have to be the Yamaha WR 250R. Light weight, fuel injected, wide ratio gear box, adjustable suspension and relatively comfortable ergonomics with a little better seat and some bar risers.

It will run 75 MPH all day long, handle tight single track and will get great fuel economy. I'd put a safari tank on it, a better seat, some bar risers and bark busters along with some Wolfman luggage and it would do anything you asked it to do.
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 Husqvarna TE 310
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote