ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #8926
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Rumor has it a long legged inmate here has a new project in his garage that's not only older than a lot of the folks who hang here but kinda-sorta looks like a girls' bicycle...
That's stretching the truth a bit.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #8927
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Rumor has it a long legged inmate here has a new project in his garage that's not only older than a lot of the folks who hang here but kinda-sorta looks like a girls' bicycle...
Give me a year or three and this will be the shieeet. Tim spreading his Trail 90 disease....

Thanks for the basket case Tim.

Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #8928
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Moto Supreme

Part 1 edited weird

Part 2

F650 front suspension doesn't take much to bottom out.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #8929
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 911
Nice score on the lil' Honda Mark! What variation is it? Looks like my CT90 is about to have some company around here!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #8930
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Those are early CT-90 chassis (weirdly designated the CT-200).
I was going to guess CT200. My brother has one of those with the big pie plate rear sprocket on it. Its actually still at my parents just begging to be restored...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #8931
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

I dare all of you to ride them next years hnf ride!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #8932
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrat View Post
dunno about you but i'd far rather ride anything with a small motor than pedal anyday.

amen!!!

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #8933
zamboni9
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
GPS Recommendation

Fellas,

I need a GPS recommendation for the xmas list. I really dont get in the dirt much, but love the back county roads of southern Indiana and Im tired of missing turns. Also it'd be nice to be able to load tracks from rides like the HNF ride. Something that mounts easy, easy to hook up power, and "affordable". I ride a DRZ400sm so Im not sure how much electrical power output I have, but I assume powering a GPS shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks

Tyler
Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ural T
-Tyler

zamboni9 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 02:08 PM
zamboni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #8934
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
gps

I purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX via ebay a couple years ago and continue to use it for hike, bike, motorcycle and car trips. It's not ideal for car or motorcycle, but it is tough (dropped it to asphalt at 50mph and it kept on working), waterproof (used it in the worst downpoor I ever rode through), runs about 20 hours on 2 AA batteries and I have wired it to my klr250 electrical system by adding a usb power outlet. In addition to the gps device, I purchased the US street map, the default map is pretty much highways only. I have since learned to download and use public domain maps, so I won't buy anymore maps from Garmin. I'm sure there are a lot better systems out there now, but I like it well enough I might just buy a used one if this one craps out on me. Oh... if you find a broken one, Garmin will refurbish for a flat $70, or at least that's what they did for me when my nubin quit. I was happy to have it back.

This device came with Mapsource, the pc program to develop/manage routes tracks and waypoints. I used it this morning to map todays ride from Columbus, through HNF to Moto Supreme, and back around various dead ends/public access points on the way home. The download of the route to the device is easy. I've got the routes from past rides stored on my pc and can be reloaded to the device anytime. Downloading routes or tracks from the internet has never been a problem, but there can be stumbling blocks as with any technology, like track point limits.

The biggest issues with my little gps are the buttons are hard to use with gloves while riding and the screen is TINY.

Let me know when you get a gps device, I'll send you my favorite routes and tracks.

my 2 cents anyway.

Don
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #8935
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

I have been using a garmin 62 all summer without problem
It got me tk vriginia beach, then to the smokies, and then back.home. have used it for my other rides as well. Well worth the money.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #8936
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

first trip to moto supreme

I rode from Columbus to Moto Supreme today. Got in over my head, started up a nice modest hill climb, then when I was past any way to turn around, it went straight up for 20 feet or so. The bike made me look good, just walked right up there, but I was shaking and thinking I probably need new underwear. So there I am a the top of a ridge (west maybe?) with three trails down, knew I did not have skills to make it down the one I came up, and path to left looked too steep too, so I headed down the remaining path. Oh crap, that turned worse, so after a bit of wrangling, I got turned around and made it back the top of the ridge. I walked down the path I came up on to see what that steep spot looked like from above and if there was a way around it, nope no way around it. Well hell, if I made it up, I guess I'll have to make it down. After serveral minutes rest to catch my breath from the walk, I rode down, was not nearly as bad as I feared.

So I tried to be more careful choosing trails, but it was not more than 10 minutes later I was in another tough hill climb, this one muddier. I don't know what happened for sure, but I remember there was nowhere to touch off with my right foot and I fell to the right sumersaulting a couple times cursing the whole way. I look back up the hill to see the bike is laying almost upside down with gas dripping from the gas fill lid, and still idling smoothly, ready to go. I shut the gas valve and turn off the motor, the gas is still leaking. I take my helmet off and set it down, turn to pick up the bike and hear little sounds behind me and turn back to watch my helmet rolling down the slope, no way I could catch it, so I just watched it roll for the 100yards or so to the first valley,

Well, the rest of the time there went fine, I'm sure looking forward to going back to develop skills and confidence but probably need a guide to keep me out of the hidden challenges I'm not ready for.

Sat down in Freetown to enjoy a soda before I noticed I had carried along a bit more of Moto Supreme dirt than I thought:

Rode home exploring several dead end roads. Great day, can't wait to go again.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #8937
zamboni9
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Good recommendations. Anyone just purchase the Iphone Garmin App? Can you upload tracks into the iphone app?
Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ural T
-Tyler
zamboni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #8938
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,092
After reading this as a couple others talking of off roading and well since we all do this ADV riding on gravel etc......I was thinking why don't we do a little clinic to help out some of the newer to off road guys on here. I raced Harescrambles, Baja, Enduros for quite a few years, so did Woodsrat, and Paul knows his way around the dirt and races as well I believe(he sure hustled is DRZ around like a champ anyway). I would volunteer go help I'm by know means the fastest guy but feel I'm technically sound. I'm sure there are plenty of others on here with skills that could help. Just a thought no charge just meet at LCRP or something one weekend and do some riding. You could do big GS and Vstrom type bikes there as well as the smaller bikes and meet everyones needs.

Unless you have a couple grand to go to a Jimmy Lewis riding school which would be quite a bit better ....but a bit more expensive
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #8939
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

more gps questions

I have an Android phone, with the free google maps app loaded because it allows me to download free maps and use the phone as a gps without using any cell phone data minutes. However, I have not found a way to load routes/tracks/waypoints.

Anyone using an Android gps app that is good for data in/out? I'd be glad to pay for an app that had good map data on the phone, and that allowed routes/tracks/waypoints download/upload. Even if you are not sure about the data capabilities, I'd be interested in what map app you use on your Android phone.

Don
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #8940
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson357 View Post
After reading this as a couple others talking of off roading and well since we all do this ADV riding on gravel etc......I was thinking why don't we do a little clinic to help out some of the newer to off road guys on here. I raced Harescrambles, Baja, Enduros for quite a few years, so did Woodsrat, and Paul knows his way around the dirt and races as well I believe(he sure hustled is DRZ around like a champ anyway). I would volunteer go help I'm by know means the fastest guy but feel I'm technically sound. I'm sure there are plenty of others on here with skills that could help. Just a thought no charge just meet at LCRP or something one weekend and do some riding. You could do big GS and Vstrom type bikes there as well as the smaller bikes and meet everyones needs.

Unless you have a couple grand to go to a Jimmy Lewis riding school which would be quite a bit better ....but a bit more expensive
I just go.on these adv rides and try to.keep up. Thats how i learn.